rejetto forum

Uploading: Connection Reset - (1) (2) (3)

j7n · 7 · 4062

Offline j7n

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I am currently testing the HFS server v2.3e.293. So far I it appears to beat Lighttpd in speed 10 MB/s vs 5 MB/s over Fast Ethernet. Lighttpd is really slow on Win32. I do not know the reason. HFS on the other hand uses more CPU.

I encountered a serious problem uploading files using the built in form. I am frequently getting a generic "connection reset" message from the browser. When this happens, several files are created on the server named with suffixes (1), (2), (3) .. (8). Only the last file in the sequence may be complete. If that is so, I get a success report from HFS. In case of connection reset, the files remain on the server, but none of them are complete.

1. test on the same computer

Connection reset immediately in Opera.
Firefox and Chromium works for the first file uploaded.
If I click the Back button on the success form, and try to upload another file, a few duplicates are created. If I reload the tab with the directory, I can upload 1 file successfully again.

2. test on another computer connected via Gigabit Ethernet

Neither Opera nor Chromium work. Connection reset immediately. (6) to (8) files are created on the server for each upload. Each partial file is 261,319 - 261,323 bytes long, and contains the beginning of the data.

3. test on another, older computer connected via Fast Ethernet

Uploading works in Opera most of the time, even if I click Back. Occasionally I get a "reset".

4. test on the older computer again. Bandwidth is throttled to 5 Mbit using a simple queue on the router.

All uploads are successuful. I can press the Back button and upload more files.

This sounds like some kind of a race condition in the program, and only occurs if the latency and bandwidth are excellent. It may be that my TCP network setup has a problem. But no other program is impaired to the same extent. FileZilla works. No connections were dropped while I used HFS. All downloads from HFS were successful. Only uploading has the problem.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:29:45 AM by j7n »

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
what application are you using, the lighthttp program or HFS...

Quote:"No connections were dropped while I used HFS. All downloads from HFS were successful. Only uploading has the problem."

***Just making sure you are using HFS...

What form? a html page you created or template?
(if possible can you post it for testing...)

Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
hi j7n, sorry for the late reply.
i didn't understand if the other computers were used only as clients or if you performed tests with HFS on different systems.
Testing on the same machine as client&server are usual for me. Quickly tried right now with chrome and hfs (latest versions) uploading 1 file, 271MB. No problem.

Offline j7n

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thank you for the reply.

I installed HFS on one computer and tried to connect to it from two other client computers. By upload form, I meant the HFS' built-in web interface through which uploading happens. All computers happen to be running WinXP but used different browsers.

The results I got you can see here. (link removed)

For example, the file "08 - Mean Old Frisco.flac" never finished uploading. There are 8 parts. "36_Goodnight_Girl_(Adam_Street).mp3" eventually did upload in the (2) part, which is a complete file.

I've tried unticking "Experimental high speed handling" and restarted, which made no apparent difference.

I will try to put HFS onto another computer, and maybe we'll learn something more.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:51:05 PM by j7n »

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
if you don't want files access, and still show files, print screen and paint, save print screen... alt+print screen gets curent windows only....
see picture of link to download...

any ways, thank you for clarifying that it is HFS and it is the default template upload.

what do you mean by this setting:
I've tried unticking "Experimental high speed handling" and restarted, which made no apparent difference.

hfs setting or widows settings? see pic

also, take a look into tcp optimizer, as you aid it might be a lan thing ... specifically latency (ping)
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/router-port-problems/routers-ports-firewalls-oh-my!/msg1060335/#msg1060335
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:18:51 PM by bmartino1 »
Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline j7n

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I feel stupid now, because I failed to reproduce the problem on Computer 2.  :-[

I was able to upload both large and many small files at once without an issue, from the problematic computer. I copied over the exact configuration (INI file), except that I created a new VFS. But I also attempted to start over with a new VFS, and the problem persisted. I noticed that the size of the part-files that HFS creates is proportional to the total file size. Larger files usually get 256-512 KB up, but files smaller than that are still incomplete.

It's likely that I have an incompatible setting somewhere in the network drivers. TcpIp/AFD on both PCs have been tuned by myself with similar settings. Nothing obvious is standing out.

Uploading hundreds of small files in FileZilla (many connections per second) does not reveal a problem. I'm pleased that HFS works in Opera browser, even with the high level of interactivity that it has in file listings and forms. :)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile