rejetto forum

Question about passing the original IP address through to the HFS logs

R2B2 · 8 · 3453

Offline R2B2

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hey all. First, I just wanted to say that HFS is pretty flipping great! It is exactly what I was looking for, so thank you for your efforts!

I am only having one slight issue that I can't seem to figure out and was hoping you'd be able to guide me in the right direction?

I set up HFS behind stunnel, and for some reason I cannot get them to pass the originating IP address to the HFS log file. Everything that gets logged is showing the IP address is my internal one (192.168.1.100) and I need it to show the external address from where the request is coming from. I have searched through the forums (both here and stunnel) and have tried pretty much everything I've found - from changing the INI file to "forward-mask=*", etc. and nothing is working. What am I missing? I'm sure it's an easy fix, but I'm coming up empty.  :'(

Can someone help me out? I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance!

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
there is no solution, stunnel does not allow to transmit external ip addresses except in its linux version

http://www.rejetto.com/wiki/index.php?title=HFS:_Secure_your_server
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 05:46:16 PM by Mars »

Offline R2B2

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
there is no solution, stunnel does not allow to transmit external ip addresses except in its linux version

Ahh ok. I guess that explains why I can't get it working. I guess I can just use the stunnel logs instead, or maybe set up a reverse proxy from Apache to secure the connection instead.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Offline mhoney

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I currently use an nginx reverse proxy and can pass the connecting ip.  I tried this with Apache and was never successful.

As a side note, HFS is always going to show the connection coming from the proxy IP address, but in HFS you can turn off logging of that connection and instead record the IP of the GET requests, which is what nginx passes and likely the address your interested in. 

An added bonus to using a reverse proxy is it can easily be setup to use free Letsencrypt SSL certs and the HFS server can remain standard HTTP.

Here's what you need nginx to pass in a custom header:

X-REAL-IP - $remote_addr
X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr
Host $host
X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:03:08 AM by mhoney »

Offline Rapid

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • R&Q Portal
I currently use an nginx reverse proxy and can pass the connecting ip.  I tried this with Apache and was never successful.

As a side note, HFS is always going to show the connection coming from the proxy IP address, but in HFS you can turn off logging of that connection and instead record the IP of the GET requests, which is what nginx passes and likely the address your interested in. 

An added bonus to using a reverse proxy is it can easily be setup to use free Letsencrypt SSL certs and the HFS server can remain standard HTTP.

Here's what you need nginx to pass in a custom header:

X-REAL-IP - $remote_addr
X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr
Host $host
X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme
https://rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=13059.msg1064448#msg1064448 - to get real IP in logs

Offline Tsuna

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile

What about a reverse proxy?
I setup a reverse proxy over a cloudflare worker >> dns >> HFS server
I tried passing the cf connecting ip header and the xforwarded for header, the best i could get it to was show the "IP connected" log output.
But when I download the file, it wont show the origin IP but of cf instead.

Am i doing things wrong or is HFS simply not accepting the header?