rejetto forum

Open in new window code for file system.

fPortal · 19 · 9479

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I didn't know appending that to the url would open a new window...

target="_blank" is the only way, Unless you want to use javascript, then anything is possible, however it is more complex.

It depends on the browser and options like you have all said here. Rejetto should not have to add this as a feature of hfs.

To be honest I used to target="_blank" a lot of links. But it decreases usability and can be annoying for users. A lot of people like to select for themselves. In Firefox it is the first option in the context menu of a link. It is best to keep most links within the same site opening in the same window. Some external links might be best as a new window, but I even find most people prefer external links opening in the same window, even if it does draw attention away from your own website.

Offline Unknown8063

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I also didn't know you could append that to a URL :p

The company I work for uses target="_blank" fairly regularly and so do a lot of other sites.  However, the web standards are in agreement with TSG - the decision to open a page in a new window/tab should be left with the user and not determined in code.  In fact, in the W3C standards the target attribute is not part of (X)HTML Strict and is intended to only be used in conjunction with frames.

Offline chthonic

• Tireless poster
  • I own the copyright to this image... "Back Off!"
    • View Profile
I am just trying to balance ... what if the link in the template were to reflect the option to open in a new window/tab instead?...

Link = regular behavior
     [option1= open in new window]     [option2= open in new tab]

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I also didn't know you could append that to a URL :p

you can't.
the workaround suggested by r][m is a sort of injection[1]. it works because HFS merely copies what you typed inside the tag.

[1] just as the ones used for attacks