rejetto forum

Streaming of MP3s which lie in folders with special characters

parade · 11 · 6515

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Hello,

I noticed that I coudn't stream some MP3s and had look at what could be the reason.
It seems that you can't stream MP3s wihich lie in folders that are named with special charactors like "&() ...".

Why?

Greetings
parade

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I do not get this bug, and i can prove it with a screenshot, is there any special characters in your language?

The simple fix is, don't use those characters in folder names. We do everything we can to url encode these parameters to prevent this from happening, the simple fix is to replace those characters with ones the template can read.

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I do not get this bug, and i can prove it with a screenshot, is there any special characters in your language?

I had another look at this. I didn't check all characters but I can say that if one of these characters

Ä
ä
Ü
ü
Ö
ö
ß
+

are used either in a directory or in a filename, the player doesn't work. The player pops up and shows the filename (these characters not correctly shown) but not the ID3-Tag and doesn't start to load the file.

The simple fix is, don't use those characters in folder names. We do everything we can to url encode these parameters to prevent this from happening, the simple fix is to replace those characters with ones the template can read.

I know this workaround but these characters are very common in German language, a lot of artists and even more german songtitles are written with these characters, that are allowed to use for filenames in Windows. I wouldn't like to transribe all characters (Ä to Ae, Ü to Ue, Ö to Oe, ß to ss) in my filenames. It looks odd to me and it would just only be necessary for the use in HFS. Maybe these problems occur to other languages with special characters as well.

I don't think that it should be necessary nowadays to restrict the usage on basic ASCII-Code. I was used to this 20 years ago, when it often even wasn't possible in Germany to write ones own name correctly, when it was for use in a database.

But maybe this isn't a problem of TOG but of HFS? As I notice these german characters are also not correctly shown in your welcome message using %user%.

Greetings
parade

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Foggy we already use url encoding, this isn't the problem.

The character encoding of the ToG is UTF-8 if they aren't shown properly in the username, then you will have to figure out the character set for the template, this template is used by all languages, UTF-8 covers most, i am not going to release a special german or asian version.

It also occurs with Asian characters, it cannot be helped, the people with special characters will need to set their own character set, i get this complaint with every release.

Most people know this but this is the line you have to change. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
If a simple character set change works, could you test this and report what character set does work?

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
If a simple character set change works, could you test this and report what character set does work?

I normally use Firefox 2.0.
I tried ISO-8859-1. The special characters in the %user% welcome message are correct.
But this charset doesn't change the behaviour of the MP3-player.

I switched to IE 7.
Charset UTF-8.
The player works with these special characters without any problem.
Switching to ISO-8859-1 works too.

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
No, sorry, i have no problems with Firefox, but i'm not dealing with other language characters. I have no idea.

After some thinking... it may be HFS... but i still cant see how this is a problem, maybe we need to escape the folder tree (url encode it) in the javascript... but it shouldn't matter...  :-X
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:32:32 PM by That_Stevens_Guy »