rejetto forum

Flash Uploader

TSG · 60 · 49277

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
this is from swfupload documentation
HTTP Authentication is not well supported by the Flash Player. Later versions of Flash Player behave better. Old version of Flash Player would crash the browser.

sad story.
this wouldn't be a big problem with cookie-based authentication :P

Offline Sapphirescales

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
By flash player?  Wouldn't that mean that ANY flash based uploader would be plagued by this problem? :'(

If that's so is there any way to change the method of authentication? 

Offline mysoogal

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if you can use python to upload files  ;D

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I have tried other flash uploaders, its up to your genius now rejetto :) there must be something we can do to allow a flash uploader to work with protected folders and http authentication. Some way to emulate the situation, but its over my head.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Hey rejetto, I know you haven't been around much. However it has been just over a month now. Wondering how much closer this is to something tangible... I think it is a necessary upgrade to HFS... from my investigation I can't find any better way to do this other using flash in some shape or form. Or Java. And both create their own upload connection to the server... so something is needed to catch those requests and let them do their thing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:31:36 AM by TSG »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
if i got it right, permissions/authentication is our problem... right?

if we don't find/build a flash applet that will correctly use http authentication, then there's no way i know it could work,
except
1. trying to workaround http authentication by submitting user/pass as POST data. this would only work with HFS, as it's not standard, but it may be ok.
2. supporting cookie-based authentication on HFS, that will take a while.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Yes, it works not a problem when we have anonymous access, but add a password and the lights flash red on all panels. I don't know much about that server side stuff so I have to leave it up to you and the other HFS delphi programmers.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
HFS says 'NOT ALLOWED' in the log, and the flash uploader (SWF Upload) basically fails. It says an error randomly about authentication, which is what lead me to this conclusion.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
mmm, and are you able to pass user/pass as POST data?

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I have not tried, Flynsarmy seems to think he has found a Flash uploader that uses Flash to get the multiple file uploads, but then uses Javascript to do the uploading. Which might work. But it might just be how SWF Upload works. I never really looked into it that deep.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I have not tried,

would that be possible, i could make HFS to accept the login through it

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Flynsarmy just told me he might be wrong, flash might be the one doing the uploading. Also I have no idea, it is possible that it might work if we append the login details to the url, however how secure is that?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Flynsarmy just told me he might be wrong, flash might be the one doing the uploading.

yes it's possible.
but flash as well may send additional data.

Also I have no idea, it is possible that it might work if we append the login details to the url, however how secure is that?

don't worry, it's not shown in the address bar of the browser.

Offline Sapphirescales

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Here's to hoping you guys can get it to work. ;D I'm eagerly awaiting some sort of flash uploader. 8)