rejetto forum

2 Computers LAN - problem with port

Guest · 16 · 11583

martinezq

I have DSL modem without firewall  ( there is no router and for now no firewall)
connected to computer "A"

my second computer "B" have internet trough "A"

on "A"  Hfs working fine - how i can use it on "B"

what must i change in "A" or in connection or in what to do this ?

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
So you use "B" on a bridged connection on "A"?

You still need to give "A" a valid static IP address behind the modem, then you should be able to connect on that IP to computer "A" from "B". "B" must be on a different IP to "A".

Without knowing the IP of "A" how do you plan to connect?

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
If this is correct:

"Internet" --> "DSL Modem" --> "Computer A" --> "Computer B"

Then computer A must have 2 NIC's and Network sharing enabled. Also, computer A should have 2 IP addresses. The first is your internet IP and the second would be your network IP (default IP is 192.168.0.1).

So to contact computer A from computer B, you should use that network IP. Open up your browser and type in the following: http://192.168.0.1/, it should work.

Offline Fysack

• Tireless poster
  • present picture
    • View Profile
    • Admin
100 x (That Stevens Guy + Giant Eagle)
_________________________________   =  :-* xy

Fysack
GOD CAN READ YOUR MIND

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you should specify how you got internet working on computer B, because it depends on that.

Mike

I have the same problem.

This is how it works for me: Computer A is connected to the internet while my computer B is connected through computer A to get internet. I can access HFS locally but when I put in our outside IP address I cannot connect.

So there must be an option to configure on computer A so when the external IP address is entered it can go through computer A and access HFS on my computer B.

I dont see this as simple giving both computers static addresses but I can try.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Just use internal IP address instead of external one.
That's the solution.

Mike

Well I need to use the external IP since I want to access the files over the internet.

So I set up both computers in the LAN to have static IPs but I still cannot access HFS outside of the LAN.

This is what I assume I need to do but I do not know how since there is no router involved:
Since Computer A connects directly to the internet and Computer B connects to the internet through A (and has the HFS server on it) I need to set up Computer A to forward a port to Computer B, so when people try to access it through the internet it will connect them to computer B.

Does anyone know how to port forward WITHOUT a router? Is there some kind of software to use?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
if you are not using a proxy, then your computer A is acting as router.
a router can also be software.
winXP has a routing software in it, the one used by the "shared connection".
you should specify *how* you get internet on B.

Mike

Computer B gets internet through an ethernet cable to A. I have a static IP set up on it.

I don't know what else you want to know?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i didn't mean physically, but at a software level: proxy, bridge, nat, windows connection sharing, etc.

Mike

Sorry

Its through the windows shared internet. No other software is being used besides windows

Mike

I tried that and still cannot get it to work. I am also trying to get VNC server to work(same problem, I can get it to work when i type in the internal IP and port).

I am typing in my internal IP of computer B where it says computer hosting the service, I am trying to use port 5801. I actually got the HFS self-test to work after doing this step but am still unable to connect using the external ip and port.

thanks

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
if the self-test works, then HFS is working over the internet.
use the external IP only over the internet.
with your LAN PCs you must use internal IP.