rejetto forum

Lock user in a folder

Ranger · 9 · 2658

Offline Ranger

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I'll try to explain this as easily as I can.

I host images on my server, you can link directly to the picture but a random person can't browse the folder to see the other pictures.
Now using the create folder that I added to the RAWR template I created a "BBQ" folder (the folder does not show in HFS fyi). I placed some pics in this folder.

Now I wanted some people to view the entire contents of this folder, BUT i dont want them to be able to hit back and see my root folder (in HFS its set up as Image Hosting-->DNic, i want them to stay in the BBQ folder thats in the DNic folder). What I did was create a new user that when a person logs in takes them directly to the BBQ folder, however hitting back lets them access the DNic folder.

Is this possible?

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Protect the root in access for some account, then protect the subdirectory BBQ  in the same way by select  'anyone'

everybody can access directly to the http://DNSNAME/BBQ

and if a user go to root then the login appear,

you can use a diff tpl for this folder and include {.if|%user%| ... .}    to mask the 'UP button' for unlogged users

Offline Ranger

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
there are many solutions.
i would do this way: properties of the root -> remove "browsable"

Offline Ranger

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile

If I do that then I nor the "viewonly" user can't see any pics. All we get is Access Denied.

I'm not sure how to implement Mars's way either.

Of note the folder is Root-->ImageHosting-->DNic
The DNic folder contains a folder called "Interior Pics" which Viewonly gets redirected to upon login. This folder does NOT show in HFS as I created it through the browser on my site.

Basially what I want to accomplish is when I take pictures of a project, upload em to my site real quick and grant access to viewonly (or another quick acct I create just for this purpose) give someone the login info so they can see those and only those pics.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:13:02 PM by DNic41 »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

If I do that then I nor the "viewonly" user can't see any pics. All we get is Access Denied.

what?
i told you to do it only on the root.
your pictures should stay in a folder, don't they?
that folder will still have its "browsable" enabled.
let me know.

Offline Ranger

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
If I disable browsable in root or any other folder I get access denied and can't even get to image hosting/my folder in image hosting.

I suppose instead of creating the folder for user ViewOnly in DNic I can create it in the root of Image Hosting and just let them have access to that.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
If I disable browsable in root or any other folder I get access denied and can't even get to image hosting/my folder in image hosting.

can't you just give a direct link to the folder? it will work.

Offline Ranger

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile

can't you just give a direct link to the folder? it will work.

No, unfortunately I can't as I have a different template setup for image hosting that gives an "Authorization Recquired" message when trying to access it w/o logging in.