rejetto forum

What about Sharing?

Rod · 19 · 10948

Offline Rod

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hello everyone.

I've been using HFS for some time now, but only recently decided to join the forum, and I've been wondering, if HFS is all about file sharing etc. then were are all the servers?  I use hfs to share files with a circle of friends.  Doesn't anyone post their server address?
I've searched the forums, but with no luck, maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places, like I said, i'm new to the forums.  Anyway, here's the addy of my little file sharing server.
http://Http://rodsworld.sytes.net
I've set up an account for hfs users, the username is hfs and the password is login.  Feel free to grab what you want, but please don't use download accelerators, they won't do you any good anyway, however, the "downthemall" addon for firefox is a great way to get alot of my stuff pretty quick :P  I can be reached at yebonuts@hotmail.com, I have Tons of storage so if you need a folder for file relocation or whatnot, email me.
God Bless

Rod

P.S.  Please don't chuckle at my simple little site, its just a file server and keeping it simplistic was a goal in mind.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:15:44 AM by Rod »

Offline Rarst

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I've been using HFS for some time now, but only recently decided to join the forum, and I've been wondering, if HFS is all about file sharing etc. then were are all the servers?  I use hfs to share files with a circle of friends.  Doesn't anyone post their server address?

Filesharing can be server to client and client to client (with or without help of server to search for other clients).

In this case it's former. Your computer is server, your friends are clients.

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
You could run into legality problems with the warez on your public server. Please be cautious.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline Rod

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
First off, yea, i'm very aware of the client/server aspects of this scenario, don't know why you would even bring that to my attention  (redneck does not mean stupid, where said redneck has an I.Q. of 163, nuff said.

about the legality of it all, my disclaimer covers that minor stumbling block.  for example.... if you enter this site you are not agreeing to these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) or company storing these files, cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site. By continuing to enter this site, you are expressly and impliedly agreeing to all terms as stated above.

So I guess good ole pres clinton was good for something other than getting BJ's in the oval office.

My files are simply that, files, how you use them is your business and responsibility, not mine, legally, I'm held harmless, the files are there for educational and research purposes only, or to test your bandwidth and download and upload speed, etc.

However, since I posted the addy and login information, I have had one prick that keeps uploading the same lame '80's movie parody over and over, so I am forced to remove those login credentials.  If you want access to my server for legitimate reasons, feel free to contact me at yebonuts@hotmail.com and I'll set you up an account.  I ban IP ranges very quickly for any suspicious activity, and my spiders do a good job of watching the server when I'm away.  I'm into it as a hobby and for legitimate file sharing, if you are interested, again, feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards and God Bless you and yours.

Rod

JK

Look at that "idiot" response from Rod!  A true novice.   hahaha!

Offline Rod

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
heya JK, how ya doing man... got nothing better to do than crawl out from under your rock and flame people.... I have a wonderful Idea, why don't you run down to the local gun shop, buy yourself and expensive hand gun. and one bullet,(this will play a small part in helping to strengthen the economy) load the gun carefully as you don't want it going off prematurely.  Once you are satisfied that you have carefully followed all safety precautions, pull the hammer back, insert the barrel of the gun  (that's the part where the bullet comes out) into your mouth and pull the trigger.  At which point the world will be most excited to know that it is rid of yet one more suck butt.

Should you have any confusion about the instructions, please email me, i'll do my best to draw you some pictures with crayons so that you will fully comprehend the required steps, then I'll scan them and email them back to you  ;)  Have a nice day.

Rod
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:50:46 AM by Rod »

Offline TCube

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
... I think it was just out of good intentions. Still, in France the laws requires that you own the original in order to share with friends and family over the net (F2F) 
Make it idiot-proof and I will make a better idiot

Offline Rod

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hiya Tcube,
I saw at the end of your post about fiber coming to the home, I have it already here in Florida, US.
but it is nowhere near the 50/100 up/down you mentioned, mine is more like  18 up and 35 down on a good day, that varies with the time of day and the number of people on the net at the time... like right around 6pm, when most have gotten home from work, and checking their email, downloading stuff etc, the numbers drop up to about 30%, but still, it's awesome and makes my time on the internet more productive, and giving me more time with the family, or fishing.  If you get the chance to get fiber optic, jump on it, it's well worth the investment.  Here in the states, the prices are competitive with cable and satelite.

God Bless,

Rod

Offline TCube

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Best actual offer 75 euros 108 USD montly for 100/100 ... i'll have to change ISP and wait 'til early next year for owners majority's approval where I live.

Gives me time to think over the "purpose" of a home server in general  ;)
Make it idiot-proof and I will make a better idiot

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
a little sugestion.

set the html page with the disclaimer as the default file for the folder and then in that file place a link to ~nodefaultl. that way they are forced to read it.

or you can do something in macro that is better but more complicated...

put simply for a macro verison, if the referrer = your hfs server then display the page that has been requested else show the disclaimer.

Offline Rod

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
heya again Tcube,

I have a package deal with my provider, in which I get "cable" television, about 140 channels, my land line telephone, and my internet line, which includes a combination, wireless, wired router of which I have a total of 7 PC's linked too, I did have to invest in some expansion routers to get the coverage I needed throughout the house, but that was not a big issue.  All in all, I pay about 125 USD for the package, which I don't think is too bad, considering the usage and value for dollar that I squeeze out of it.  Perhaps something of that sort will be available to you in the very near future.  Fiber is the way to go, it beats any internet connection I've ever had, I have nothing but good things to say about it.  I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Kind Regards,

Rod

Offline Rod

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanks Foggy,
I've been intending to do something like that, but html isn't exactly one of my strong points, I'm sure it's easy enough, but I've actually been putting it off due to considering changing templates, but you are right, I should make it where they have no choice but to read, or at least skim over the disclaimer, that way they cannot say, "I didn't know"... thanks again.

God Bless,

Rod

P.S. I'm going to put the hfs login back up, maybe this time I won't be bothered by people trying to flood my 4 TB of storage... LOL

the login will be username hfs, and password login if you want to check out my site... gimme 3 minutes and it will be in effect.  (Please be sure to read the disclaimer!!! LMAO)   
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:47:57 AM by Rod »

JK

heya JK, how ya doing man... got nothing better to do than crawl out from under your rock and flame people.... I have a wonderful Idea, why don't you run down to the local gun shop, buy yourself and expensive hand gun. and one bullet,(this will play a small part in helping to strengthen the economy) load the gun carefully as you don't want it going off prematurely.  Once you are satisfied that you have carefully followed all safety precautions, pull the hammer back, insert the barrel of the gun  (that's the part where the bullet comes out) into your mouth and pull the trigger.  At which point the world will be most excited to know that it is rid of yet one more suck butt.

Should you have any confusion about the instructions, please email me, i'll do my best to draw you some pictures with crayons so that you will fully comprehend the required steps, then I'll scan them and email them back to you

Another "idiot" response from Rod.  This one shows his age!  lol.

Offline Rod

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
heh, now we all know the limits of JK's vocabulary, nuff said.
Rod

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I don't get JK's responses... does he know something we don't?

File Sharing is a touch and go issue around the world, and i'm sure your disclaimer will cover it if you're not making any profit from the files... However if you are asked to take a file down... I know i'd probably comply with that :o. It might be different for other countries though so you need to understand that some people just use HFS for private purposes and rarely make them public to avoid problems.

I would suggest you make a more professional disclaimer... it might have changed from when I visited the other day, but the bright blue text is painful... also do what foggy said, and make it as a forced homepage with maybe a button to continue to the file lists of the server.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:56:54 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »