rejetto forum

Can't upload on Lubuntu/Pi/WINE

CJ · 23 · 12503

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Okay guys,

I don't even know where to post this because I can't even figure out what board to put it on, so I'll just drop it here for now, and if rejetto wants to move it, that's cool. 

Anyway, long story short, I am DONE with Micro$oft.  >:( Unfortunately, the rest of the world isn't.  That said, I want to keep using HFS (thank you, Great Alexandre Julliard for your fine WINE) on my new Lubuntu system, but uploads just plain don't work.   :(

Summary: 

Installed WINE and HFS on Raspberry Pi running Raspbian Jessie.  A little slow, but it worked...I thought...until uploads didn't take...not good.  Figured it was because WINE is a little wobbly on the Pi, so I repurposed it and broke out an old netbook I had sitting around.

Installed Lubuntu 16.04 on netbook with WINE and HFS...still can't upload! Basically, what happens on both the Pi and the netbook is that I put files in the shared folder in HFS and go to another system, pull up the page and click any file and...BAM!...Download complete, no problem.   ;D

But when I try to upload a file from that same system, I get "Loading..." in Firefox, then "The connection was reset" page with no upload attempt.  A few times i got a couple of meg transferred before the page reset with files being transferred in pieces (filename (01).ext, filename (02).ext, filename (03).ext, etc...)   :o

Keep in mind, I am not using this outside local lan yet because I want to test and make sure all is well.  On the Windoze boxes I had HFS installed on, I've never had a problem.  Firewall was configured correctly for outside and, obviously, inside needed no exceptions made.  Firewall was disabled on Pi and is disabled on Lubuntu, so that should all be fine.  I set drives for read/write under Raspbian and Lubuntu.  Drives are accessible no problem locally or over network from file manager or CLI.  Wine version on Raspbian was 1.6 and Lubuntu is running 1.8.  I even installed Samba thinking maybe that had something to do with it...nada.  System that I am uploading from and downloading to is one month old Ubuntu 16.04 box, not that it should matter...

Sorry to be a pain about this guys, but I just can't figure this out.  :-[ I've become completely disgusted with Micro$oft and I am seriously just done.  The problem is, because of Windows and its B.S. limitations, I have to be able to use something for work that it understands, and my easiest options are HFS or FTP.  After I get this running right, I have to figure out how to teach an entire office full of people how to use Ubuntu before Jan. 2020 when Win7 goes bye-bye.  Most of these people don't even know what Linux is, so I've got my work cut out for me.   :o

The biggest problem is, I have to be able to use something that is accessible from anywhere using any platform, but doesn't require the configuration of special services, shared drives, programs, and the like.  Linux to Linux...no problem! A hundred choices...WebDAV, SSH, SFTP, anything.  Windoze to anything without installing 3rd party or configuring Windows Explorer with a network drive of some sort...FTP from CLI and HFS from browser and that's IT!  >:( I just don't understand what the problem is and I hope you guys can help me out on this.  Thanks in advance.   :)

P.S. Rejetto, I don't know if it is a WINE thing or Ubuntu/Lubuntu thing, but HFS works awesome on straight Windows.  If there was any way that you could make a Linux version, I think that would possibly help a lot...unless I'm just a damn fool who just doesn't know what I'm doing and missed a stupid noob step somewhere.  :P Let me know and thanks again!  :)

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
Hi! Well, it's nice to see that you keep using HFS on Linux. And don't forget about testing ReactOS, even if it's alpha may work better than WINE, at least it should work fine on a virtual machine.

I guess you tried installing HFS from zero, without copying HFS.ini from previous installs, right? It may have to do something with some Windows API which WINE doesn't handles well, but that's hard to tell. Did you tried running some old HFS version? (it may sound crazy, but sometimes there are "regressions" between versions). Well, I'm out of ideas.

Good luck. ;)

EDIT: After doing a Google search, and reading some pages, I found someone in 2012 having the exactly same issue. It HERE (original forum post written in Bulgarian language), with the English translation HERE.

There, you will find two possible solutions:
1) Cap/limit the upload speed to 10MB.
2) Switching to/from 'Easy mode' (WTF?).

The last option, seems to solve the problem (very weird!).
Please try it, report back if this solved your problem... :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:54:35 AM by LeoNeeson »
HFS in Spanish (HFS en Español) / How to compile HFS (Tutorial)
» Currently taking a break, until HFS v2.4 get his stable version.

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tips Leo.  I can try it and let you know what happens.  I can't even tell you how many different configs I tried. 

Install current 2.3 from scratch -- nope
Copied over the version i had running on Windoze with ini and vfs-- nope
Tried current beta with old ini and vfs -- nope
Tried two betas before that with old ini and vfs -- nope
Tried last 2.2 beta (BUILD 155!  :o ) with old ini and vfs -- nope
Tried installing all I just mentioned from scratch  :o :o :o -- nope

I can give your suggestions a shot, though.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:44:46 PM by CJ »

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
switch to ubuntu mate(lubuntu cuts some major code that may be missing for help), its can be many things, most liky- a lib file error on the pi (i has one and run hfs off it) its due to wine and the arm processor...
https://wiki.winehq.org/ARM
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/11/12/run-x86-linux-and-windows-applications-in-raspberry-pi-and-other-arm-devices-with-exagear/

ubuntu mate for pi:
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/run-ubuntu-on-raspberry-pi-2-ubuntu-mate/

wine works better on straight ubuntu, and mate is the old "gnome 2.0" revisioned GUI.....
-----------
After that, with ubunutu i'm more of a cmd line - terminal person - use MC(midnight comander) and / or chmod/chrown and give hfs folder your trying to upload 777

that said:
the folder needs word write... ubuntu is most likely stooping the upload "permission denied error..."
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3740152/how-to-set-chmod-for-a-folder-and-all-of-its-subfolders-and-files-in-linux-ubunt

Code: [Select]
chmod -R 777 <dirname>
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:51:14 PM by bmartino1 »
Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hey bmart,

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, still nothing...same behavior after setting chmod. 

Yeah, I was going to put WINE on the Pi straight, but compiling it for Pi seemed to be a lot of trouble for what I was going to get out of it and after doing some reading, it prob wouldn't have done me a lot of good because I would still be running it on ARM. 

You are absolutely right about Exagear.  I got that and installed it and sure enough:  installing WINE...no probs...having it emulate x86...no probs...running HFS...no probs.  I like it.  It seems to be a pretty solid piece of software and I just got an email this last week announcing v1.5 with improvements and bug fixes AND upgraded WINE to 1.8.  That seemed to be the biggest hurdle:  getting the Pi to emulate x86 because most of this software just wasn't designed for ARM if it was originally written more than about 3-5 years ago.   :P

The irony is that 3-5 years ago, the MINIMUM system requirements for a lot of this software running under x86 environments was the same as what the Pi's hardware is now.  You could easily run some of the software, like HFS, on Pi using ARM, except for the fact that it needs an x86 environment to run and just isn't supported under ARM at all...the main reason I just decided to go with Exagear instead of trying to compile on ARM...it wouldn't have gotten me anywhere, anyway.  :P  :o

I will seriously take your suggestion into consideration installing Ubuntu Mate on the Pi for its new job, but it still leaves me with my original problem...uploads not working on HFS running under WINE on Lubuntu 16.04.  If you think that wiping Lubuntu and just going with Ubuntu Mate for the netbook will work, I can try it.  I initially put Ubuntu 16.04 on it, and it took, but it was sluggish.  I wiped it and threw on Lubuntu, and with a few tweaks on install, it was up and running in about 20 minutes or so with updates installed and desktop running fine...definitely faster than XP when it was on there a few years back.   ;D  I'd just hate to have to reinstall again and lose everything I got up and running over the last week or so...  :(

If you come up with anything else, please let me know.  I have to get to work for a little while (apparently I don't get holidays off...  :( ), but if you guys can keep working on this, I would appreciate it very much.  Thanks again for all the effort you guys are putting in for me!   ;D

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Strange...I made some changes and restarted HFS before leaving for work and when trying to turn HFS back on, it said "cannot open port. is firewall blocking?"  :o

I checked the port from local lan and it connected and checked ufw on netbook and status is "inactive".  If the firewall is off and the port is open and listening AND I'm on my local lan...then why the error?...and why, still, the upload problem? 

Also (forgot to mention), I tried Leo's suggestions (setting speed <10MB/s and toggle easy/expert mode)...still a no go.  Haven't tried ReactOS yet...much like bmart's suggestion of Ubuntu Mate...don't feel like reinstalling again unless I have no other choice, but I will definitely keep those ideas close-by if this can't be solved the way I already have it set up soon...  :P

Also forgot to mention, even though this shouldn't matter either, installed Lubuntu on sd card.  The hard drive I'm using in the netbook is empty because the purpose was to use the whole thing as storage, first on the Pi (USB external enclosure), then on the netbook (internal hard drive).  Basically, Lubuntu is installed on 32GB sd card (/dev/sdb) and hard drive is in netbook as-is (/dev/sda) formatted as ext4.  Like I said before, set permissions accordingly, and downloads are not a problem, just uploads.  Don't know if any of that will help, but there it is.  :)

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
@CJ: I'm sorry buddy, I wish I could help you, but I don't have any else to suggest. If you could get some Linux guru to compile HFS for Linux (using Lazarus or CrossFPC) to have a native build, I think that would be ideal. If you search the forum, you are not the only one who uses HFS in Linux, so it's worth the effort. Keep in touch if you find the solution, since it may help others in the future.

EDIT: Whoa! Nice find bmartino1! Exagear looks great for ARM devices, and I'll definitely bookmark it (I'm sure it will come in handy in the future). I'm still dreaming the day we can run x86 apps directly on Android (without using emulators). Thanks for the tip! :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:10:22 AM by LeoNeeson »

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
for the notebook, i would have you try to reinstall wine:
sudo apt-get remove --purge wine && sudo apt-get install wine

(there is no firewall that would prevent lubuntu (unless you installed one... like bind9 - a dns serer program- ...)
you may have to configure wine OS and secodnary setting from the wine config as well...
(wine should be running as XP for HFS...)
in the terminal, run wine and the path, the terminal will kick errors that can help tell what went wrong where...:

Code: [Select]
wine /path/hfs.exe
glad the exagear is workign for you and pi, i still think its a permision isssue, but your "port chage" issue and firwall is more concerning...
I would recomend redownlaod and staring HFS over along with a reinstall of wine and configure wine with the gui:
https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main
http://www.linux.org/threads/installing-and-configuring-windows-emulator-wine.4368/

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
When I initially downloaded WINE on the netbook, I did run winecfg.  Set to WinXP, remapped drives, obviously audio is not an issue, etc.  Upload problem.  Uninstalled, added repository for wine 1.8 Stable (if you just install WINE from CLI, you get old 1.6 Stable), and reinstalled. Ran winecfg again, tried HFS again, still the same problem.  I have NOT installed any other firewall on Lubuntu. 

The port change was just to get it off a well-known and after I had it installed in WinXP (and later 7), I configured firewall and router and could connect, upload, download, no problems.  I just don't understand what the problem is...

I checked WineHQ and noticed that as WINE and HFS progress through the years and versions, compatibility began to lessen (started at Platinum, got down to Silver a few years back...)

I have remote set up for the netbook, so as I'm doing things on the browser end, I can watch in the other window and see what's happening.  Basically, HFS records login, etc, etc, then when I try to upload, the log screen says "uploading filename.ext", a few lines of "received xxxxx bytes", and that's when my browser just konks out and gives me the "connection was reset" error.  Nothing else happens on HFS end...it just sits there until 60 seconds pass for the idle timeout. 

When I login though, HFS opens up like 6 or 8 connections for my user.  When my browser takes a dive, I switch to the remote window, and the log does nothing until idle timeout, then it just clears my user and all connections (this is normal behavior from running on Windows, too), logs the disconnect on the log screen, and then sits waiting.  Except for the part about my browser crapping out, EVERYTHING that HFS is doing is normal for the program because it all did the EXACT SAME stuff running on Windows, so it makes me think that HFS is not the problem, especially since I've tried with multiple versions. 

So, pretty much we're down to WINE, Lubuntu, Ubuntu, or Firefox.  There's no way it could be a firewall or a port thing because I'm only working with it right now on my internal lan.  I have to admit, the only time I got that port error before was when I forgot to configure it on Windows.  As soon as I remembered and configured it, it was running fine.  I'm trying to give you guys everything I can about this to help, I just don't know why it's getting so complicated.  If you can think of anything else, let me know.  Thanks.

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Tried again on tablet Firefox and the wife's Windows desktop Firefox and Chrome...both gave me the same error and wouldn't upload.  So at least we can rule out the browsers as being the problem...

I just don't understand what is going on.  It seems that HFS is doing what it should, and the browsers are browsing just fine, so where does the issue lay?  It can't be a firewall thing because it's all local traffic, so it's got to be down to just WINE or Lubuntu? 

I can try to install HFS on my Ubuntnu box and let you know what's happening.  Has anything changed in 16.04 that would have caused this?  Is anyone else running 16.04 of any of the Ubuntus with WINE and HFS and having this issue?  Please report back and I will post my results soon.

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Got HFS running on Ubuntu 16.04 box and tried to upload from tablet a small file ( <1 MB) and it went through fine.  I tried a bigger file (about 100MB) and the browser tanked again as soon as I hit "Upload".  I've been trying with bigger files this whole time because I want to make sure that no matter what i upload, it will go through and I never know what I'm going to be working with.  The problem is, it seems that very small files will work fine, but as soon as a bigger file tries to upload, everything just stops.  It's almost like something is trying to stop the transfers but only if they are big enough...

Think of it this way: 

If you try to smash a gnat with a tennis racquet, you will miss because it will go right through, but if you try to smash a mosquito, or even 10 mosquitoes, you will kill them all no problem with one hit because they are bigger and you can't possibly miss and they can't possibly make it through the holes...

This is very weird...  If you guys need any other information, please let me know.  I can't figure this out at all and nothing that I'm doing is making much sense.  All ideas are welcome at this point. 

EDIT: Right now, I'm thinking that it has to be a WINE issue if the same behavior is occurring in Lubuntu, Ubuntu, AND Raspbian.  If someone else could install WINE 1.8 on an Ubuntu 16.04 box and test HFS, that would really help a lot.  Please let me know what your findings are...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:55:10 AM by CJ »

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it on my todo list this weekend, i would have you try to use wine 1.6 and see if it is a "new wine version" that is causing it.. i alsowould recomend synaptic package manger for the ubuntu editions... "Don't use synaptic on rasperyian, it breaks stuff!"

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
bmart,

Already tried WINE 1.6 and 1.8.  As far as Synaptic, I've noticed that it doesn't always remove dependencies when uninstalling.  Installs seem o.k., but I think I probably trust apt package manager a little more.  It just seems to do a better job when it comes to purging old programs AND removing accompanying dependencies.  Thanks for all the help.  Let me know what you find out.  ;D

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
It's known that some WINE versions work better than others (that why exists PlayOnLinux.com which automates the selection of the best WINE version for a specific program). PlayOnLinux "provides wrapper shell scripts that specify the configuration of Wine needed in order to install and run a particular application." Sadly, HFS was not tested on PlayOnLinux (which is a GUI for WINE).

And since old WINE versions worked better with HFS, why don't you try running some older WINE?. For example, you may try a "live" Linux distro (without having to install it), and to do this, I've found "Tipsy Puppy" (that's a small Linux distro circa 2009, which has an old WINE v1.1.28 built-in, so you don't have to install or configure WINE, since everything works "out-of-the-box"). It's very lightweight, only 212.3MB, and you can download it from here.

Here's some screenshots of Tipsy Puppy v4.1.3 R1 running HFS:
(I've tested HFS and did some simple tests, and it worked fine)

I'm sure you will not regret to test it. :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:26:35 AM by LeoNeeson »

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Leo,

Tried with PlayOnLinux and installed WINE 1.4 and 1.2.3 (the even numbered releases, from what I've read, are the stable branches) and it's making a little more progress, but it's still giving me that "page was reset" BS in the browser after a few seconds. 

I checked both firewalls and they are both inactive.  I'm only trying this over local lan, so I don't know what's wrong...

-- It can't be the switch because I can pass traffic Nautilus Ubuntu to Nautilus Lubuntu (not that I could even start to wonder how the switch would affect anything.) 
-- I can RDP/VNC into the Lubuntu machine (set that up when I installed to admin from the GUI AND CLI) without a problem. 
-- It can't be the router because it's all internal and since both systems are connected to the same switch, it shouldn't even be going all the way TO the router. 
-- Internet access works fine on both. 
-- SSH and SFTP work fine on both using default port. 
-- There's nothing wrong with the hardware as far as I can tell. 
-- The software shouldn't be stopping anything...

Am I going crazy here?  :o I can't even imagine what I could be doing wrong or what's even going on here!!!  >:(