rejetto forum

Fios & HFS

Guest · 17 · 6452

Vik

Does anyone have any experience setting up HFS on a Fios based network? I can't get an external connection to connect to the server. I'm not using ports 80 or 8080 as I have heard Verizon may be blocking those, but it doesn't work no matter what port I try.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Welcome vik;

This might be a router or firewall problem.

Try to follow this steps to get your server working:

Look for first time setup at the wiki http://www.rejetto.com/wiki/index.php/First_time_configuration

Steps to get your server working:

1. Switch to expert mode
2. Select the port you want to use (80 default)
3. Execute the self test (in hfs-menu)
4. If self test returns ok, skip to step 7
5. Check your firewall and verify that hfs is allowed to use your port.
6. Check if your router does forward the port to your computer (how to open ports in your router: http://portforward.com/)
7. set in menu -> start/exit -> find external address on startup
8. if you have a domain (example: vikveri.noip.org) set it to custom on menu -> ip-address -> custom , then select your custon url in menu -> ip-address.
9. If you want to update your ip of your domain, define it in menu -> Dynamic DNS updater
10. Save options (recomended: to file)

your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline pepsiru1es92

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I know for a fact that FiOs blocks port 80. don't waste your time.

I honestly don't recommend FiOs, since they have a no-server-of-any-kind rule. It's fast, and may work well, but if you get caught they may cut you off/bill you more etc...

But there have to be some open ports. As said before...use portforward.com
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:57:28 PM by ppsiru1es92 »

Vik

Oh, and additionally, it might be relevant to add that I am using Windows 7 x64. I didn't think to mention it since the application itself seems to be running fine, but perhaps there is a known issue with setting HFS up with Windows 7?

Vik

Found the answer:

"I was able to do this very easily... Here's how you do it:

Log onto your FiOS router (192.168.1.1)
Access the port forwarding settings
Click "New Entry"
Click the dialog box that says "Add...", then click Show All Services

Now heres the most important step, the one that will get you running.. click "HTTP Web Access - Web access by HTTP/HTTP Proxy" then have it forward to the place where you are hosting your webserver.

WAMP is a decent webserver, just make sure you have Skype setup so it doesn't use port 80 or 443 as alternatives.
XAMP is good as well, same issue with Skype I'm sure."

So basically, go to add a port forward term in your Verizon Fios router. Then add an HTTP Web Access forward rule for your network ip address. Use port 8000 on HFS and it seems to work fine.

Now I am fine tuning a speed issue. I am capable of 2MB/s upload, but I only seem to be getting 350KB/s. Not bad, but definitely not full speed. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
indeed, port 80 is just the standard one, you are not bound to use it, you can use any and it will work as well.

Vik

No I knew that, I've used HFS for a long while. However, it was the Verizon router that was the real issue. It was far more complex than my old router and I had to forward the port in a different fashion than any of the other ports I had forwarded for other programs.

Can anyone think of a reason my speed is only ~300KB/s though? The QoS section of the router appears to be blank, no rules have been set up, so I don't think it is limited by that. My bit torrent application can access my full speed, and bandwidth tests show my speed to be what it is supposed to be. I just cannot get HFS to break 350KB/s. I have a 20Mbit upload connection.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline bolt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Wow.  Verizon's online TOS prohibit running any server of any kind!  I didn't know that, but just confirmed it.  I have a couple of questions: (a) is this a common prohibition, or do other ISPs either allow servers, not address the issue in their TOS, or allow exceptions for low-bandwith uses?  (b) Has anyone ever, to anyone's knowledge, actually encountered a problem with Verizon over running HFS?  Thanks!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
in Italy ISPs make no such restriction

Vik

can you please publish your results for www.speedtest.net ?

Sorry this is so late, I forgot. Here are the results.

HFS still won't upload faster than ~250KB/s for me, but I found a work around. If whoever downloads from me uses a download accelerator type client to make multiple connections, then EACH connection will have the 250KB/s limit, so I can saturate their downlink in most cases.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
what version are you using? 2.2 or 2.3 ?
IF you are using version 2.2, please have a look a this topic
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=6662.0

and, please, report here your experience, later.
Thank you!

Vik

Thanks Rejetto. I am using official 2.2, but I will give this experimental version a try and let you know how it compares ASAP.

Vik

Results of HFS High Speed Version:
I was able to saturate my friend's downlink of 10Mbits with my Upload connection of 20MBits using a single connection on HFS. I am waiting for my friend with a >20MBit downlink to test the full speed capabilities of a single connection with this version. I will keep you apprised.

Comparison to 2.2f Official:
The official version caps my speed at ~250-300KB/s (aka 2-3Mbit) PER connection, global speed can exceed this, however this requires use of multiple connection download accelerators.

Thank you Rejetto for continuuing to improve this awesome program.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
finally, i got the feedback i asked for months :)
thank you