rejetto forum

Linux?

Guest · 17 · 7995

Do you plan to make the version for Linux?

Offline SviMik

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • http://svimik.servehttp.com/
Sorry for same topics, it was a bug in my browser (browser crashes on posting and i didn't noticed that message is already saved)  :-[

Offline GothicSuicide

• Occasional poster
  • Soon i will have an army
    • View Profile
use wine in linux to run the app it should work then Wine -r hfs.exe in term in the folder hfs is in.. it should work might take a min or two to get it up and runing.. but that should work

GothicSuicide

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
no. i don't even have linux installed.
AFAIK, wine doesn't work with HFS.

Offline GothicSuicide

• Occasional poster
  • Soon i will have an army
    • View Profile
ah my bad... get a windows emulator then . srry i cant be of more assistence

Offline DennisLockhart

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I've got HFS running under 'wine' on Kubuntu 6.10.
Seems to work great for me so far and was pretty simple to do.
I've got pretty limited bandwidth but you can check it out at http://65.5.179.174:8080/ if you've got patience.

Dennis
-----------------------------
use wine in linux to run the app it should work then Wine -r hfs.exe in term in the folder hfs is in.. it should work might take a min or two to get it up and runing.. but that should work

GothicSuicide

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
kubuntu 6.10, uh? it's the first time i see HFS working under linux! very happy of it.

Offline DennisLockhart

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
P.S. It' wine-0.9.28 if that makes any difference.
If I get a chance - don't know when though, I'll load some other flavors of Linux and see if works there too.
kubuntu 6.10, uh? it's the first time i see HFS working under linux! very happy of it.

Offline TCube

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I think you may experience the same trouble as friends of mine under Wine : I tried to download a file and got a *.zip and a *.part,  then transfert stops *.part disapears and i'm left with a 0 ko *.zip. Same old thing for every download under Wine  >:(

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:56:13 AM by TCube »
Make it idiot-proof and I will make a better idiot

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i think you should give information of your tests to the Wine group
http://appdb.winehq.org/

Offline ~GeeS~

• Tireless poster
  • "The web was made for sharing..."
    • View Profile

I've got HFS running under 'wine' on Kubuntu 6.10.
Seems to work great for me so far and was pretty simple to do.
I've got pretty limited bandwidth but you can check it out at http://65.5.179.174:8080/ if you've got patience.

Dennis
First the good news:
I've just checked your site and all pages were served fine! My trials with wine still end with a connect, but no pages are served.
The bad news:
With IE and O all downloads (or jpg's) stop responding after exactly 10080 bytes served. With O i can stop the transfer and after resuming the next 10080 bytes are served,and so on ... but i guess this is not what we want to achieve...

Did you get full downloads when you tested internally?
Coincindentally, yesterday i've started wine again and tested HFS with it (on Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 32bit).
I've loaded wine from the ubuntu repository, have to check the exact version. Did also the winecfg to create this pseudo-win directories. Update and self-test works fine, but browse button does not respond and surfing with FF to 127.0.0.1 (desktop) or 127.0.1.1 (localhost) still not responding.

Dennis, could you pls describe what you did?
Did you use the winelib compiler?
I'm a beginner on linux, before I submit a bug report, first i'll try to follow and understand the instructions from the winehq site.
Could you enable upload for some tests?

Rejetto, which files of the source have to be compiled? All? Or main.pas ... ?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:33:25 PM by ~GeeS~ »
~GeeS~

Offline ~GeeS~

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
The better news:  ;D
After update to wine 0.9.29 according to the instructions on the winehq site and running winecfg first, local downloads (1.5MB) seems to work fine.  :D
Still some minor issues (dragndrop, fonts), but in principle it seems to work now.
Because the installation is on a PII 266MHz everything runs is slow.
Will switch to my fast box for further testing ... Will keep you informed ...
Your experiences/hints are welcome!
Hope this works ... bye bye XP or Vista!

Thx DennisLockhart for showing me the way!!!
~GeeS~

Offline DennisLockhart

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I'm sorry I jumped the gun a little - got excited I guess. :(

I too am having trouble downloading entire files but my results aren't always the same - even internally. I've gotten anywhere from 35KB to 40KB pieces but never the entire file - which is a few megabytes. I guess if I can't even get'em from a site on the same LAN it's not much good. I do get the pix though so it's not all a loss ;D

I did update my wine installation from wine-0.9.28 to wine-0.9.29 and I get fewer display errors on startup. I'll try to look at the winecfg setup thingy also and see if I can tweak it a little to get full downloads. If you made any unusual changes in winecfg please let me know and I'll do the same.

I used to be a UNIX admin but I haven't messed with this stuff for years - my job at school is all windoze now I'm afraid. Linux is a little different but all the GUI things are really nice. All I did, basically, was load Kubuntu 6.10 and then added the wine repository and installed it. Then I started (under my login) with 'wine hfx.exe &' and it took off. I tried to run it as root (bad idea I know), but it complained a bunch and then aborted. I've set it up so that it starts when I log in but I may try to set it up as a daemon using my credentials.

You can log in as guest:guest and you'll get full access to everything, including an Uploads folder for your trials.

I don't think I deserve much credit for this though, I just blindly stumbled along and loaded everything without even once RTFM! Got lucky so far I guess...

Hope all goes well and thanx for your input,
Dennis

The better news:  ;D
After update to wine 0.9.29 according to the instructions on the winehq site and running winecfg first, local downloads (1.5MB) seems to work fine.  :D
Still some minor issues (dragndrop, fonts), but in principle it seems to work now.
Because the installation is on a PII 266MHz everything runs is slow.
Will switch to my fast box for further testing ... Will keep you informed ...
Your experiences/hints are welcome!
Hope this works ... bye bye XP or Vista!

Thx DennisLockhart for showing me the way!!!

Offline ~GeeS~

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Thx for enabling the upload. I've uploaded some e-books about Ubuntu, GRUB and a pps presentation, hope you like them.
Did it with IE, did not get the confirmation page, just a white screen on complete upload or the upload just stops for files bigger than 5-6 MB with IE progress bar on 100%. (If you want to fully DL the incomplete files just search with google for the exact filenames as uploaded e.g. "Addison.Wesley.Moving.to.Ubuntu.Linux.Aug.2006.chm" , ~17MB !)   ;)

Still have the problems with incomplete DL, my wild guess for now is that for some reason the connection time-out span is much shorter than normal and the transfer is interupted. DL is much more sensitive to this than UL  ???

My experiments with Ubuntu/Wine/HFS have been done with a slightly modified winecfg: Win-version XP, deactivated sound and 3D graphics. Don't know the influence, hadn't time yet for testing.

In case more ~ubuntu users want do some testing:
Follow the instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine , especially the "(Not recommended)" part to get the newest version of Wine.  ;D or here http://www.winehq.com/site/download-deb

For compiling the HFS sources: http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/winelib-guide/index , this is not my cup of tea for the moment never compiled anything before except some simple BASIC stuff years ago, but if someone want to try ... or give me the instructions what to compile or to rename/change from the HFS sources before compiling, I would give it a serious try.

Pls post your experiences.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:34:10 PM by ~GeeS~ »
~GeeS~

Offline ~GeeS~

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
 :) After disabling "Persistant Connections" (Hint!?) in the HFS menu, upload of files within LAN (700MB iso!) completed succesfully for first time! 
 :( Download still fails after some bytes on LAN, but succesful on Localhost... 
Interesting: Connection is killed immediately, contrary to XP ?!? Changing other menu options did not help so far .

DennisLockhart: Your template seems to be very buggy, i did the tests with the default.tpl.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:52:17 PM by ~GeeS~ »
~GeeS~