rejetto forum

brightness

TCube · 5 · 4020

Offline TCube

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
It's not a question of taste, there are more 'objective' criteria:

1. It's an 'ecologic' page: Monitors can save about 20% (not sure about this value) of energy using black or very dark backgrounds.

2. Usability of such pages tends towards less than 10% for 'elder people'  (35 years and more) as even if may 'look nice' to some, they are happy to find the 'back' or 'close' button. ;D

Gosh ! please please attach some real-time-world-wild statistics about your "objective criterias" ;D
Just Joking
 T3
Make it idiot-proof and I will make a better idiot

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
1. It's an 'ecologic' page: Monitors can save about 20% (not sure about this value) of energy using black or very dark backgrounds.

does that apply to LCD monitors?
for the little i know, there's one or few lamps/leds always on, in the back side, and the pixels are like filters for the light.
if this is true (i wait for confirmation) the energy consumed should be exactly the same for black or white.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Hi rejetto:

Quote from: bacter on November 12, 2009, 09:12:48 AM

does that apply to LCD monitors?
for the little i know, there's one or few lamps/leds always on, in the back side, and the pixels are like filters for the light.
if this is true (i wait for confirmation) the energy consumed should be exactly the same for black or white.

The number of about up to 20% of energy saving applies to CRT monitors only. On LCD monitors the possible power saving can be done by the user adjusting the backlight (=brightness) of his monitor. When 'blackle'  http://www.blackle.com/ was born in 2007, about a 25% of all monitors used were still CRT-monitors. Today there are really few CRT-monitors in use, and it seems that the different studies about power-consumption of LCD monitors are contradictory: some including say that displaying black requires more energy than white ( http://techlogg.com/?p=918 and http://techlogg.com/?p=329)!

Anyway, there are no ecological pages: You can save up to 4% with a 26" Nec-lcd, but most smaller monitors waste up to 2% displaying black pages :).

There are only ecological users: Reduce brightness , power down monitor instead of using screen savers!

your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline Kremlin

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Or hook-up the monitor to a bicycle  ;D

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i made a shortcut (since my laptop has no embedded one) to put my monitor in standby: WIN+F4 :)

being often in a low light environment, setting low brightness on my lcd is a must, to not hurt my eyes.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:53:05 PM by rejetto »