rejetto forum

No Home Directory to show in browser

Offline Marathon

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
version 279 (2.3beta)
I need to remove the Home directory from the browser so it doesn't show up for users.  I tried deselecting browsing, but the user screen changes it's format so it's hard to navigate.  Can I delete or change the template to remove the home link?
Thanks for your help.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it's not clear if you are trying to remove a link that goes to the folder from the outside, or from inside a sub-folder

Offline Marathon

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I have multiple user folders beneath the Home Directory, once one of them logs on they can click on the home folder and see all the other's users folders.  So it would be from inside the system.
Thanks for your response.

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I have multiple user folders beneath the Home Directory, once one of them logs on they can click on the home folder and see all the other's users folders.  So it would be from inside the system.
Thanks for your response.
Do you have
Menu > Virtual File System > List Protected Items Only For Allowed Users
Check marked ?   

Offline Marathon

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Do you have
Menu > Virtual File System > List Protected Items Only For Allowed Users
Check marked ?   

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I have tried that, it does hide the Home Dir, and I like it, but because the each user has their Main folder under the Home, they also want all their sub-folders pw locked with different passwords.  Then when they login to their user's Main folder they can't access the sub-folders because they are not shown. 

When they try to first login with the pw for the subfolder, it won't go directly to the subfolder and won't log in.
Maybe I'm not setting it up correctly?

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
1)  they also want all their sub-folders pw locked with different passwords.  Then when they login to their user's Main folder they can't access the sub-folders because they are not shown. 

2) When they try to first login with the pw for the subfolder, it won't go directly to the subfolder and won't log in.
Maybe I'm not setting it up correctly?
1) Different than their login password ? Doesn't sound very user friendly to me.
2) Sounds like a configuration problem.

My server has one main folder that everyone logs into. Inside that are the folders for each account.
User1 logs into "Main" but can only see his folder, but it wouldn't matter, even if he could see User2's folder
he couldn't open it. Inside User1's folder are his subfolders. These are all separate folders on my HD and are
added to User1's folder by drag and drop. Each subfolder is "real" and has its own permission's set in Properties,
some by user, but most by group. I assume you know to right click on the folder and go to Properties to set them?
I have redirect set on most users, either by group or individually.
Wouldn't that solve it or do I misunderstand the problem?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
by "home directory" you mean the root of the virtual file system, the one with the "home" icon ?
or did you create a folder and named it "home" ?

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
I think this is the best way to do it:

Do what I do and inside each user's folder (real directory), have an hfs.diff.tpl with the normal template, then inside the root (either a real directory or add the file to the VFS) have another hfs.diff.tpl file with whatever you want, perhaps a custom home page, perhaps just blank or consisting of a redirect to %user%, or whatever, so the user doesn't see the usual listing of files.  Also, make sure every folder including the root are set to browsable and for anyone to access.

To make it easier you can also use hfs.events to keep the user's templates synchronized from folder to folder with a single template on your desktop for making quick changes, for example, something like this:

Code: [Select]
[every 60 seconds]
{.copy|C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\User Template.tpl|D:\user1\hfs.diff.tpl.}
{.copy|C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\User Template.tpl|D:\user2\hfs.diff.tpl.}
{.copy|C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\User Template.tpl|D:\user3\hfs.diff.tpl.}
{.copy|C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\User Template.tpl|D:\user4\hfs.diff.tpl.}
{.copy|C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\User Template.tpl|D:\user5\hfs.diff.tpl.}
{.copy|C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\User Template.tpl|D:\user6\hfs.diff.tpl.}

OR:  (I just thought of this)

Put that code above (except for the top 60 seconds part) in a file called update.txt on your desktop and then put this into a file called 'update user folders.bat' on your desktop:

copy update.txt "c:\documents and settings\admin\desktop\automatic.txt"

Then add this to hfs.events:

[every 5 seconds]
{.load|automatic.txt.}
{.delete|automatic.txt.}

Then just double click the .bat file after you make changes to the main user template.  Add new users to update.txt like shown above.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:25:46 PM by raybob95 »

Offline Marathon

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I turned on "list protected items only for allowed users", and lock all folders, made new locked folders under root directory for every folder each user needs with different login/password.  As long as they are right under the root folder, they can be logged into from the initial login screen.  If they are in sub-folders they cannot be logged in from the initial screen.  It makes for a lot of folders right under the root and some folder naming organiztion, but it works.

This program is really great.
Thanks everyone for your help.  Much appreciated.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
To make it easier you can also use hfs.events to keep the user's templates synchronized from folder to folder with a single template on your desktop for making quick changes, for example, something like this:

i'm sorry i didn't document this feature yet, i just put this task in my to-do list, but if your diff template is a single line and it's a file name, then it's automatically loaded.
That means you can stop copying the file and just use this as content of the diff template:
C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\User Template.tpl

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
But the thing is that I also keep a "global template.tpl" where I keep all the other parts of the template, and then within user template.tpl there's [file=folder=link] etc.   The global template.tpl is the file set as my main template.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
maybe you didn't understand what i meant: the feature i'm talking about does what your script do, so if i had made it evident (or documented) you would have saved your valuable time

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
Oh I see... Damn that's cool!!   :D

Much easier than running a .bat every time I make changes or wasting CPU/disk time by coping those files every 5 seconds  ;D   And an added bonus is that people can no longer go to   /%user%/hfs.diff.tpl  and steal my work... well I share a lot of it anyway :P

One issue though is that if the link in the diff template doesn't exist then hfs will get stuck on 'thinking' forever and on the user's end will just try to load the page forever with no error  :-\

Also another thing I just noticed is that I can't really use this yet when you can't set a diff template with {.set item.} because it won't create new accounts right without it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:56:29 PM by raybob95 »