rejetto forum

aaa ... hfs in the a java 2 micro edition (new)

tijek · 22 · 5625

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
@samepaul
even if i agree with you about usefulness, i must say my mobile isp doesn't disconnect me in a short time, and i get an internet IP address :)

Offline SamePaul

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
@samepaul
even if i agree with you about usefulness, i must say my mobile isp doesn't disconnect me in a short time, and i get an internet IP address :)

how do you know?
Have you installed some kind of server on your phone and connected to it from outside via Internet?
And how do you know that ISP does not disconnect you? 1st of all, your own phone does it just to save batteries. It keeps TCP sessions however to make it transparent for client software. Thus GMaps client (for example) has it's connection whenever it needs to download maps from Google servers, but the connection is not physically persistent - connection indicator goes off when application is inactive for a while.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
about the external address, i know it because i use my mobile connection also to connect my laptop (tethering?), and HFS passes the self-test this way.
i guess i get the same address on the mobile phone, although i'm not sure.

i didn't say i don't get disconnected, but not in a short time. I say it by the connection indicator in the top left (i have a nokia). Some details: a year ago, all worked fine, and closing the last internet application automatically caused the connection to be closed. Since some time, this is no more, sadly, and i have to close the connection manually. (luckily there's a decent shortcut for it). This way, sometimes i find my phone connected with no internet application open since long, and my battery clearly wasted and the phone warmer than usual.
This may not be a scientific proof, but it's surely suggesting what i stated, don't you think?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:45:36 PM by rejetto »

Offline SamePaul

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
about the external address, i know it because i use my mobile connection also to connect my laptop (tethering?), and HFS passes the self-test this way.
i guess i get the same address on the mobile phone, although i'm not sure.
That what I thought about! :)
Using mobile phone as GPRS modem is not exactly the same case. Just to make it clear - remember regular phone modems? We used it to connect to ISP via phone lines. And your computer gets IP, but not the modem. Moreover, for the modem the "IP" idea didn't make sense as the whole infrastructure was based on absolutely different principles. Same for GPRS modem.
For the phone itself the situation can be a bit different. Using NAT for this purpose seems pretty expected for me. Moreover, considering regular use case of cellular internet (as opposite to computer internet) when connections are short-living and need immediate availability, managing local IP-pool would be much more efficient.
Still, it's just my assumption and can be true for one mobile operator, but wrong for another.

This may not be a scientific proof, but it's surely suggesting what i stated, don't you think?
Sounds pretty weird to me, but I can't say "it doesn't exist" just because I didn't experience it myself. Both my last phones indicated disconnection (Nokia and Sony-Ericsson). Actually it makes sense that ISP does not disconnect you. They can charge even when you don't really use Internet :) Ok, ISP is not guilty! :)

Anyway, I stated it previously, keeping connection alive is not really problem - server can send dummy data every while. But good point about batteries ;)

Offline tijek

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
 ;) IP external is not const, but it don't problem's.
 ;) dns server is very many. e.g. no-ip.pl(free), or home.pl(one payable domain).
 ;) loading battery in (mobile) phone is perchance whereas laptop is on, power grid,
    of battery full (4.5Volt) or of other source e.g. mobile loader or stationary loader.
 ;) I don't have servers and client indykator
 ;) I haven't two laptops-or-computers.

city and center city:

it is "my day-plan everyday".

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
@samepaul
indeed, battery is a major problem, and so goes with the heat and extra radio activity applied to my poor body.