rejetto forum

Recent Posts

HFS ~ HTTP File Server / Re: blocking ip-addresses by country
« Last post by ALEX on October 16, 2023, 05:41:21 AM »
Have you tried PeerBlock on Windows Server 2019? (I've read reports that it works fine on Windows 10, so it should work). There is no better solution than PeerBlock for Windows.
Yes, as far I know, requests will still reach HFS (it don't prevent people from trying, and it could affect performance, the same as filtering by 'UserAgent', but you have to try it and see what happens). My previous comment could lead to confusion, so to make it clear: HFS v3 doesn't have 'IP filtering feature' (like Rejetto said), and HFS v2 doesn't have an option to block IP addresses by country, but it has 'IP Banning' and you can configure some 'IP ranges' to block (of course, expert users can also use a macro script to filter by IP range, but it's not needed, since it works the same as using the HFS's GUI).

You can configure this, by going to HFS's Menu > Limits > Bans... (it will open a window where you have to enter the IP ranges). Remember to check 'Disconnect with no reply'. Before doing this, please take a look HERE to know how to configure an IP range to be excluded (remember to put a backslash \ before the IP range). Please report back if that affects performance (compared to filtering by 'UserAgent').

Thanks Leo
I configured both options, monitored them for several days, and the attacks became much smaller, but unfortunately peerblock greatly affects performance
HFS ~ HTTP File Server / Re: The user can log in only through the IE browser.
« Last post by rejetto on October 12, 2023, 05:00:07 PM »
i don't know how to help, i cannot work on 2.x anymore.
Maybe someone else on the forum can advice.
I'm working only on version 3
« Last post by VetrovVV on October 12, 2023, 11:17:10 AM »
i'm not sure, you can try 2.4, you can see the download link on the right of the page https://rejetto.com/hfs/?f=dl

or you can consider version 3, which is very very different https://github.com/rejetto/hfs

Thank you. Since 2.4, you can log in from different modern browsers. Unfortunately, a new problem has arisen: the usernames that were in Cyrillic have now turned into diamonds and it is not possible to log in to them. Is it possible to do something about this?
« Last post by rejetto on October 12, 2023, 08:37:25 AM »
i'm not sure, you can try 2.4, you can see the download link on the right of the page https://rejetto.com/hfs/?f=dl

or you can consider version 3, which is very very different https://github.com/rejetto/hfs
« Last post by VetrovVV on October 12, 2023, 08:34:29 AM »
Version 2.3m. But earlier there was an older version and it was configured on it. Then I updated the program, but the settings file remained from the old one.
« Last post by rejetto on October 12, 2023, 08:31:16 AM »
what version are you using?
HFS ~ HTTP File Server / The user can log in only through the IE browser.
« Last post by VetrovVV on October 12, 2023, 08:25:39 AM »
The user can log in only through the IE browser. In other browsers, when you enter the correct login and password in the pop-up window, the request is repeated endlessly. Help please.
« Last post by LeoNeeson on October 06, 2023, 09:16:46 AM »
PeerBlock is only supported up to Windows 7
I have windows server 2019
Have you tried PeerBlock on Windows Server 2019? (I've read reports that it works fine on Windows 10, so it should work). There is no better solution than PeerBlock for Windows.

I have another question: can I block an IP range in HFS?
and yes, if I block ranges, will requests still reach hfs?
Yes, as far I know, requests will still reach HFS (it don't prevent people from trying, and it could affect performance, the same as filtering by 'UserAgent', but you have to try it and see what happens). My previous comment could lead to confusion, so to make it clear: HFS v3 doesn't have 'IP filtering feature' (like Rejetto said), and HFS v2 doesn't have an option to block IP addresses by country, but it has 'IP Banning' and you can configure some 'IP ranges' to block (of course, expert users can also use a macro script to filter by IP range, but it's not needed, since it works the same as using the HFS's GUI).

You can configure this, by going to HFS's Menu > Limits > Bans... (it will open a window where you have to enter the IP ranges). Remember to check 'Disconnect with no reply'. Before doing this, please take a look HERE to know how to configure an IP range to be excluded (remember to put a backslash \ before the IP range). Please report back if that affects performance (compared to filtering by 'UserAgent').
« Last post by ALEX on October 06, 2023, 05:04:10 AM »
As Rejetto said, this is not implemented internally on HFS (for those who are expert on coding, something basic could be done using HFS's Macros, but it could make HFS slow, since we need to filter a lot of IP ranges for blocking an entirely country).

In your particular case, you have to use an external software. The most effective and easy to use solution, is using PeerBlock. Once you have installed PeerBlock, you have to use one list listed here (selecting the country you want to block). But keep in mind that PeerBlock works blocking connection system-wide (and you can't select only one software to block). So, it will block ALL connections you configure, for ALL the programs running on your Windows system (not only HFS). If you need to connect to some of the IPs you have blocked, you would need to temporary disable PeerBlock, or use another solution. As far I know, this is the only most easy solution.

» IMPORTANT: if you are targeted with DDoS attacks by someone expert, you could end blocking up almost the whole world (it could be like a witch-hunt), since the attacker could try to access your server from ANY other country using a VPN (or a proxy). Most of the time blocking an entirely country works, but sometimes it doesn't (and you will end blocking legitimate -good- users), so this is only an extreme measure. It's best NOT blocking an entirely country, but starting blocking ONLY the IP ranges of your attacker.

I hope it helps (please report back if that helped). :)
Cheers,
Leo.-

Thanks Leo

PeerBlock is only supported up to Windows 7
I have windows server 2019
I have another question: can I block an IP range in HFS?
and yes, if I block ranges, will requests still reach hfs?
« Last post by LeoNeeson on October 04, 2023, 06:45:25 AM »
As Rejetto said, this is not implemented internally on HFS (for those who are expert on coding, something basic could be done using HFS's Macros, but it could make HFS slow, since we need to filter a lot of IP ranges for blocking an entirely country).

In your particular case, you have to use an external software. The most effective and easy to use solution, is using PeerBlock. Once you have installed PeerBlock, you have to use one list listed here (selecting the country you want to block). But keep in mind that PeerBlock works blocking connection system-wide (and you can't select only one software to block). So, it will block ALL connections you configure, for ALL the programs running on your Windows system (not only HFS). If you need to connect to some of the IPs you have blocked, you would need to temporary disable PeerBlock, or use another solution. As far I know, this is the only most easy solution.

» IMPORTANT: if you are targeted with DDoS attacks by someone expert, you could end blocking up almost the whole world (it could be like a witch-hunt), since the attacker could try to access your server from ANY other country using a VPN (or a proxy). Most of the time blocking an entirely country works, but sometimes it doesn't (and you will end blocking legitimate -good- users), so this is only an extreme measure. It's best NOT blocking an entirely country, but starting blocking ONLY the IP ranges of your attacker.

I hope it helps (please report back if that helped). :)
Cheers,
Leo.-