rejetto forum

testing 2.1

rejetto · 294 · 140418

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "ruudboek"
I really would like to see some function that can be enabled so that username and password are parsed into the download url.

it was introduced in version 1.5, year 2003
maybe you just need to switch to expert mode

ruudboek

Well i was already in Expert Mode. Where can i find the option to enable this then?

Ruud

Anonymous

Well i was already in Expert Mode. Where can i find the option to enable this then?

Right Click on a file in your VFS and make your selection.

ruudboek

OK,

i presume you are referring to the option "Copy URL with password", well that's not what i am looking for.

I want my friends to be able to logon to HFS with their user accounts. Then if THEY click on any file, i want their download manager to start downloading the file without the need to put in the username and password into their download manager.
Basically i want HFS to be able to transfer the username and password the user initially logged with to the dowload manager by default.

Wouldn't it be a better idea for the actual download url of a file to be something like this : http://johnny:pass15@myhfsserver.com/shared/myfile.zip ?

Ruud

Anonymous

i presume you are referring to the option "Copy URL with password"

Yes.  What happens if you "paste" that url with password into your download manager?

Seems to me that you want HFS to automatically bypass the name/password setup requirements of the download manager. This is not a HFS issue.

ruudboek

It is a HFS issue, because this is a problem with ALL download managers, unless you know of a download manager (for IE6) that can figure out what the username/password should be?

Ruud

Anonymous

Use a better browser - Opera, Firefox, or Netscape and you won't have to use a download manager.

It is not a HFS issue.  All good download managers ask for input of username and password when going to a protected site.  Name and password only has to be entered once and is definitely not a big job.  Good download managers will even save that user info for future use so you wouldn't have to manually re-enter that info the next time you go to the protected site.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
so, this problem would be bypassed with an option to include full url in folder pages. right?

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rejetto"
so, this problem would be bypassed with an option to include full url in folder pages. right?

Exactly. But it would be a security problem as the password would be clearly visible in plain text in the browsers' statusbar/adressbar.

MarkV
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Anonymous

Quote from: "MarkV"

Exactly. But it would be a security problem as the password would be clearly visible in plain text in the browsers' statusbar/adressbar.

MarkV

but this security problem could be optional, well, it could be a option to enable/disable the include full url....
just a idea

ruudboek

@guest,

well, i use FDM and yes you are right i can fill out the username en password, but the thing is, i won't forget that, but all my friends simply look over that setting, which in practice leads to and faulty download.
Is it really such a big deal to create an option for this?
It is only matter of adding the "username:password@" to the actual download url.
It will prevent a lot of headaches caused by users reporting the same problem time after time.
Also let's face fact, 90% of all users use IE6. IE6 does not support resuming, so most users get a download manager for that.
One of the best features of HFS is it resuming capability.
Therefore by ignoring downloadmanagers incapabilities is like ignoring HFS's resuming capabilities, for most users it just means that HFS will not work ALL the time, which would be totally unjustified.

Also improvements to compatibility with download managers have already been implemented by adding the option "specific HMTL for download managers" so then why not perfecting that option by making it  add "username:password@" also?

@rejetto

Well i started FDM, then went to Downloads/Create new download.
Then i put in the full url with "username:password@" included and disabled the option "User name and password are required".
Fdm went downloading the file right away, so to answer your question, yes, the problem would be bypassed with an option to include full url.

Ruud

ruudboek

Quote from: "MarkV"

MarkV

Can you not simply make it add "username:password@" at the point that HFS is triggered to start serving a download?

Ruud

BowflexMaster

i think you'd be surprised...

of all of the users who have visited my website 44 have used Firefox and 54 have used IE6. There aren't as many ninnies out there as one might think. :)

Heck, most of friends don't even know what a download manager is, so I personally don't think this feature is particularly necessary.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I agree with BowflexMaster.  (I like that word - ninnies :))

There was a time when a good majority of users used Internet Explorer mainly becuase they didn't know better.  To buggy and far to many security issues.

This is the breakdown of browsers use at my site - 55% Firefox, 24% Opera, 21% IE.  

I have found over the years that the more experienced user uses something else instead of IE that came with their computer.
maverick

dadada

hfs really needs cgi/php. Yes, it is a file sharing software first, but without it you can't use port 80 to both web pages and files and it is a huge problem for firewalled,proxied etc. people.