rejetto forum

Author Topic: Routers & ports firewalls - Oh, my!  (Read 28990 times)

Offline fdiskMBR

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Re: Routers & ports firewalls - Oh, my!
« on: April 28, 2015, 11:17:26 AM »
Getting a little more detailed it would seem that the rwin value is automatically adjusted in windows 7. (not that it works)
That presents a serious problem to the hfs server. (in the case of vista & win 7) It limits uploading speed of your hsf server no matter how fast a broadband speed you have OR how fast the clients connection to the hsf server is.

Which now has me wondering about FTP and what the fix would be in win7 or vista since it's an OS limitation.

The rwin is limited to 65535.
The rwin should be about 1045440.

As you can see, win 7 & vista have automatic throttling and a max rwin size of 65535 which limits the servers functionality.
There are "go around's" but not for the common user as they're very technical & tedious.

The information is here if anyone cares to look but I would caution you about the optimizer. If you read "carefully" you'll see that the optimizer when set to "optimal" will adjust some settings contradictory to the statements made by the writer. If you dare, you'll need to "manually" choose all the settings for proper functionality.
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

Microsoft is aware of the issue and has made some patch's for 2008 Server, Vista and provided information for Win 7. None of these provide the fix for to the issue. From what I can find, speedguide's Optimizer is the only real option.  See the links.

Seems the corp techs are struggling with this also > http://serverfault.com/questions/608060/windows-tcp-window-scaling-hitting-plateau-too-early

I'm a little surprised someone has not mentioned this here as it has a direct effect on hsf and it's functionality.
Did I miss this somewhere?

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team