rejetto forum

duplicate a virtual folder

Offline ColdFusion

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I would like to know if it's possible to make a copy of a virtual folder (and everything inside : comments, files...) into another virtual folder

I'm able to move a virtual folder, but couln't find a way to duplicate

is it possible ? not implement ?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline ColdFusion

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
damn, thanks anyway for the fast reply !

ps : dunno if it would be hard to implement, but could be useful for sorting movie (and poster/streaming) by year and by genre and by actors ect

and btw thanks for this fabulous program

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
mmm, wait, i didn't understand how you would make use of it.
explain what you want to do.

Offline ColdFusion

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Example :

The movie (alien.avi) is reality in c: / MyHFS / movies / general

But I've created this virtual folders

MyHFS / movies / by years / 1979 / Alien (virtual folder with poster of the movie in comment ) / alien.avi ( with divx web player in comment )

But I would like to be able to sort the movies by genres (fantastic, horror, thriller....)

for example :

MyHFS / movie / by genres / Horror / alien (virtual folder with poster of the movie in comment ) / alien.avi ( with divx web player in comment )

Being able to copy directly the alien folder (virtual folder with poster of the movie in comment ) with the file and comment inside without having to copy each comments would really make "multiple sorting" easier

Hopes my english doesn't suck too much ^^

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i understand, but...
by duplicating, any later change should be made many times, for each duplicated folder.

wouldn't it be better if you put all the stuff in an "alien" folder on your hard disk, and then add it as real folder?
this way, every change to the folder on the disk would reflect every "alien" folder in the virtual file system.

Offline ColdFusion

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
It sounds like a good idea

I've created a real folder (with comment) which contain the file.avi (with comment)

But when I'm in my virtuals folder (genres, years) and I add the real folder, he doesn't keep the comments.

So basicaly I have to rewrite the comment for the folder and for the files.

All this thinking gave me the idea to put links in virtual folders pointing to the real folder , which is working nice (even If it add an operation)

The ideal would be to able to "add folder from virtual File System" (the same way we can add "real" folder from disk) or being able to duplicate html links ... (if you find some times for this ... :p )

In the end I've got a working solution for the time being,

thanks again for you help !

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
how are you adding the comments?
there are several ways

Offline ColdFusion

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
right click "comment"

didn't knew there was differents ways to do it

edit : I just discovered there was a hfs wiki, look like I'm going to read it carefully, from the start to the very last page :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:44:54 PM by ColdFusion »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
for your needs, i advice to use this method

keep your movies inside C:\movies, so you'll have folders 'alien', 'terminator', etc.
inside 'movies' folder you create a comment file, with the comments for all the movies.
refer to the wiki for the text format
http://www.rejetto.com/wiki/index.php/HFS:_Comment_files

then, inside every specific movie folder, you can create another comment file, with comments for the files in it.