rejetto forum

hfs as a web server?

Offline DianneB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I am confused!  :o I have been running hfs for years as a web server to allow other computers on the private network to access a weather information page (html) on the weather computer (Windows 7).

A couple of weeks ago the anti-virus software (Trend Micro) quarantined hfs as "spyware". I have since added it to the Exceptions in the anti-virus and reloaded hfs. The anti-virus leaves it alone now, however .....

Since the re-installation, when I go to the bookmark in the browser (Chrome) on another computer, the browser doesn't open the file but DOWLOADS it - which doesn't work at all since there are many other files included in the web page.

I don't know what has changed and why it doesn't work any more. I am no programmer and not a computer expert so I am completely lost.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
welcome Dianne,
if you search around this forum you'll find that the "false positives" are common and well known problem.

I don't understand what file is to be "opened" and not "downloaded". What type of file?
I'll anticipate that your problem is probably under Menu > other > open directly in browser

Offline DianneB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
welcome Dianne,
if you search around this forum you'll find that the "false positives" are common and well known problem.

That has been resolved.

I don't understand what file is to be "opened" and not "downloaded". What type of file?

It is an html file resident on the weather computer.

I'll anticipate that your problem is probably under Menu > other > open directly in browser

Nothing was changed in  the browsers and all browsers behave the same. The only thing that changed was to re-install hfs.exe The new version is MUCH newer than what I had and behaves differently. The old one had "Easy Mode" and the new one doesn't.

I don't seem to be able to  get hfs to point to the html weather file in a sub-directory on the  weather server - it moves it to the root directory.

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
I would double check the mime type

If a av quartines it you can usualy restore the file.

I belive the mimetype became corrupted.
Id recommend a full redownload and restar from hfs.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Basics_of_HTTP/MIME_types/Complete_list_of_MIME_types
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:32:04 PM by bmartino1 »
Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing