Testing build #190

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
whooops #)

download @ www.dovedove.it/hfs/hfs190.exe

what's new
+ "copy to clipboard" button near the URL, changing in "already in clipboard" when it is so
- connections panel broken in build #189

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I like how the copy to clipboard works, but is it necessary as the label? or was that just for testing. I think the tooltip should just change, its not like the users really need to know this information, hitting the icon again will simply copy again. Also if you do decide to make the URL combo box we spoke about, it will look better without the text label at the end of the address bar.
Nice icon ;)

I have attached this image cause I noticed the font gets smaller when a file is being downloaded... is this supposed to happen?

I also noticed the 'Time left' text label isn't center but aligned to the left. Shouldn't the heading indicate the column content alignment? Not counting the Log and VFS of course, they have a different context.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:58:18 PM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I like how the copy to clipboard works, but is it necessary as the label?

HFS can automatically copy URLs in the clipboard.
I guess most people won't notice that, and will waste time commanding a copy.
This way we both create an easy way for novice people to get the copy, and to also understand when it is automatically copied.
It's not an aesthetic idea.

graphical problems you reported will be fixed in next build ;)

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
HFS can automatically copy URLs in the clipboard.
I guess most people won't notice that, and will waste time commanding a copy.
This way we both create an easy way for novice people to get the copy, and to also understand when it is automatically copied.
It's not an aesthetic idea.

I didn't even know HFS did this till you told me. lol, its not a normal function for a software to do.

Maybe in easy mode it changes the text label and tooltip, but in expert it will hide the label and only change the tooltip. This way the interface is more graphically pleasing with the log search in the area also. I am just worried that with a combo box drop down, and the text that is already in the graph, there will be too much information in that area and it will get cluttered.

EDIT:
Also while we are talking about the interface. I noticed a while ago that the draggable divider between the VFS and Log is like... 2px thicker than the one between the bottom, I just haven't got around to asking and forgot about it till now. Wouldn't 1px like the rest look better?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:29:17 PM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the tooltip is not enough.
see if you find something better, like icons or maybe an idea like showing "done" only when the URL is already copied.

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Personally I would just remove the text and have the icon, cause once the user has gone from HFS and used copy, changed the path or anything... the info is gone anyway, you only save one click to a novice user... weigh one click saved on opening HFS for the first time, to graphical appearance of the interface...

I am going to bed now anyway, night.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
one click for the first time? i guess there are lots of old users who don't know the url gets automatically copied in some cases.

when you right click on a file, then "add to hfs", it's done. Most people doesn't know, and the next click for the "copy" may take seconds.

Offline ladiko

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
i often use ctrl+c/x/v and now i get this error after at least one hour:

Code: [Select]
Cannot open clipboard
HFS 2.3 beta (190)
----------------------------------------------------------------
System   : Windows Vista Professional, Version: 6.0, Build: 1771, "Service Pack 1"
Processor: Intel, Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2500  @ 2.00GHz, 2000 MHz MMX
Display  : 1280x800 pixels, 32 bpp
Product Versions

hfs.exe: Build: 0 12.07.2008 17:21:50
with the following buttons: terminate, copy, close

hfs is started minimized on logon and is just running and i dont interact with its gui and there are also no http accesses.
terminate closes hfs. cant say when it happens (to big clipboard, special content or access by other programs at the same time etc.)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
next build will try to get rid of this problem