rejetto forum

help understanding Upload speeds

selkov · 5 · 2805

Offline selkov

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I have an Asus Mobo with an AMD600+ 2 GB mem, Vistal Ultimate.
Cable [Comcast] with 6Gb/385k service.

When using HFS I get an initial upload speed of 305-340, but it drops steadily for about 15 seconds and holds at 200for about 5 seconds and then it plummets to 40.

I have run several tests with different files over several days to several Pc's and it is always the same.

My friend has and Intel Mobo with a P4 1.8 Mgz  1 Gb mem, Windows XP Sp2.
Cable [Comcast] with 6Gb/385k service.
When downloading the same file from him he maintains 250 k upload speeds.

Anyone able to explain to me why this is so?

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
To understand the differences you try to explain, you need before to clarify the units used. It seems you compare apples with potatoes.

The speed limits to upload a file with asimetric Cable or ADSL conection depends on the upload bandwith of the computer where the file goes out. 'Fast' cable conection service implies normaly a high asimetry: 6Gb(6000Mb)/385Mb , so in yout case you can download more than 15 times what you can upload!

These numbers are the bandwith, which is measured in M- or kbits per second. What HFS shows, is the transmission speed measured in kBytes per second! But the numbres on the grpah are not very exact, so the only way to se the real transmission speed is, is looking in the log what shows the line 'fully downloaded xxxMb at 44 KBs ...'  And with a 385 Mbs of upload bandwidth, you will get there at best something around 48 kBs !

This value is far below of what your AMD (3600 or 6000 ?) or a P4 can do, even if that ultimate vista is slower ande eats a lot of ressources (vista needs about 1Gbyte of memory only to be and to do nothing!)

If you don't get the upload speed that corresponds to your conection, it could also be that your provider screws down p2p traffic.

So if you want to check speeds move a file of 3..6 Mbytes and look at 'fully downloaded'..
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
First of all.. Your CPU, mobo and memory is not the most important thing to look at when it comes down to internet speeds.

Second, your 6gb/385k statement is vague. But assuming your friend has the same connection but is still able to upload at around 250k and you are not, makes me think that you are doing something else that consumes upload speeds (p2p, torrents).

What you could do aswell, is disable your firewall and virus scanner while uploading a file to your friend. See if this makes any difference.

Offline selkov

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
My friend and I on on the same service with the same limitations.
Whatever the numbers you use gm/mb/mpps...his is still pushing 5 times the upload speed that mine is.

But for the record...the provider states the upload capacity at 384Kb and rejetto reports 40Kb...that is the SAME measuring scale!

Offline Fysack

• Tireless poster
  • present picture
    • View Profile
    • Admin
lol ;D YoU ARe comparing apples with bananas, at least bits with bytes
Its perfectly normal to have 40k download on a 320k line, considering adding a BIG b or a small B afther the k.
 ;) dont be a pussy about these guys demanding some cold fact on the table. These guys are like walking compilers man, miss out a comma or a dot, and you got your selves a bug, then the bug have to be removed before any furture action can be taken.
And Gigant Eagle said it nicely man: Your hardware doesnT\ mean shit when its comes to uploadspeed (if you dont got fiber and a networkadapter from 1962 do)
And the only reason your hfs says 300+ is because this software is: not trademarked ™  its marked ǥ™ !ya man, genuis traded software.
It picks up your LAN speed before your WAN speed. Thats why it drops my man.. g e n i u s c r a f t e d !

..and that 385, forget about it, your ISP are suckers (like in suckerstraw)(yea, mine too), it will always goes down. Never up.

GOD CAN READ YOUR MIND