rejetto forum

About "Don't consider as a download"...

KalleB · 9 · 3310

Offline KalleB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I have a small issue with this "Don't consider as a download" feature.

I generated a thumbnail.html page into my images folder (with XnView). Every time this thumbnail page is loaded, the small thumbnail images are loaded from a hidden "thumbs" folder inside the images folder. I've also set t_*.jpg (the filenames of the thumbnails in thumbs folder) as "Don't consider as download" for that folder so that my taskbar and the folder hits would not get flooded with the downloads of the small thumbnail images.

This works OK with the taskbar icons, they do not appear, but the images folder still gets 465 hits each time that page is loaded. This looks very stupid on my root folder where other folders have like 45, 21 or 33 hits but the images have 2983... :( This pretty much ruins the informational value of the whole Hits-field.

I can see from the description of this function that it is meant to work only with total hits, not with folder hits, right? But I think it should really do what its title says, not consider anything matching the mask as a download. Then those matching downloads would not be added to the Hits of that folder. I'd even like them not be listed in the log too since loading that page floods the log quite badly too..

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
maybe it should not be counted in the total since it's hidden.
do you agree?

I'd even like them not be listed in the log too since loading that page floods the log quite badly too..

there is a "don't log" for this.

Offline KalleB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
maybe it should not be counted in the total since it's hidden.
do you agree?

You mean that Hits from a hidden subfolder would not be added to Hits of the main folder? I'd say that's quite a good idea. At least it would fix this situation. But I'd still like that "Don't consider as a download" to really do what it is titled. So it would not add those hits to folder hits nor total hits.

there is a "don't log" for this.

I can't set this since the images folder and the thumbs folder in it are both real folders. So I could set "don't log" for the images folder, but then it would not log the loading of the main images or the thumbnail page. It should be "don't log (mask)" so it could be used.. Maybe there could be a setting in "Log what" titled "Don't log files not considered as downloads".
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 10:30:56 AM by KalleB »

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I don't see the purpose of folder hits.  I removed those hits from my template years ago.

In [folder] remove %item-dl-count%
maverick

Offline KalleB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
That's a good fix for this situation too...I'll have to think about it..

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
I don't see the purpose of folder hits.  I removed those hits from my template years ago.

In [folder] remove %item-dl-count%

Same here.. Terayon does not have folder hits either

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
But I'd still like that "Don't consider as a download" to really do what it is titled. So it would not add those hits to folder hits nor total hits.

To me, it makes sense to count not just "downloads".
If you have an index.html where you welcome your guests, you may want how many times it is viewed, but you don't want it to get the tray icon when it is downloaded.
It's your personal need, but i must consider everyone.

I can't set this since the images folder and the thumbs folder in it are both real folders.
So I could set "don't log" for the images folder, but then it would not log the loading of the main images or the thumbnail page.

i have a better solution.
i fixed a bug related to dupe files in real folders.
so if you have the images real-folder, now you will be able to add the thumbs real-folder in it.
HFS will show only 1 "thumbs" folder, and you will be able to set the don't log in the VFS itself.
try it with this new build www.dovedove.it/hfs/hfs123.exe

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
I can't set this since the images folder and the thumbs folder in it are both real folders.
So I could set "don't log" for the images folder, but then it would not log the loading of the main images or the thumbnail page.

i have a better solution.
i fixed a bug related to dupe files in real folders.
so if you have the images real-folder, now you will be able to add the thumbs real-folder in it.
HFS will show only 1 "thumbs" folder, and you will be able to set the don't log in the VFS itself.

Nice!!1 :D

good work on that one.

Offline KalleB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Great, I'll give it a try.. Although it requites a bit work since there is a few of these images folders but I think I'll manage.