rejetto forum

Prevent Outside Access, LAN only

Offline Metaltailz

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
What would be the best way to completely deny access to HFS from any computer that is not located in the LAN. I know that you can ban every IP except the ones you specify, but that doesn't really disconnect your server from the internet, it just refuses to show anything. There is also the "Accept Connections on -> 192.168.my.ip" but unfortunately that doesn't stop the connections. It seems to do nothing at all, when I ask friends of mine to try and connect they were still able to(yet the "Accept Connections on->127.0.0.1" works perfectly, only the host computer can access it.)

Well, thanks for this wonderful software rejetto and thank you to anyone who answers.

(If I'm not very clear tell me, and I will try to explain more clearly.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:14:34 AM by Metaltailz »
Current Project: Template based on Windows Home Server

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
If you have a LAN, you will have a router.

You needn't to do anything in HFS to avoid access from outside the LAN, you don't need to ban anyone from hfs, just configure the router to not to accept connections on the port you use with HFS.

For most people difficulty resides in opening the specific port they use with HFS. If you have access from outside the LAN to HFS without setting it up so, I fear your router is so unluckily configured that you allow too much traffic form LAN -> WAN and WAN -> LAN, something that is really compromising your LAN security!

Look at your router's configuration, read the manual and then set it up with a normal behaviour.
your computer has no brain - use your own !