rejetto forum

HFS on External HDD (NAS)

Guest · 14 · 7163

hfsJay

I'd like to access my files remotely from my NAS without leaving a PC on. This is an effort to save money on energy bills since my NAS is always on but not my PC. Could I do the following: load linux and HFS on a USB drive that I connect to the NAS? I know most NAS use linux but its difficult to access it.

Offline ELEVENNNN

• Tireless poster
  • havent been here lately, still wont be here?
    • View Profile
The logic is there.. from what I know, its just if the nas server per se allows executions of remote files to run as if they were local (since they arent really running on any physical box)  I'd love to learn the answer to this.
This is going to take a long time
.................+...........................................
...................+.............+.................+.........

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
If your NAS doesn't run a supported OS or won't be capable to boot an OS, HFS won't run. It's designed to run on Windows(R) Operating Systems.

There are hardware storage servers you can use for that (some routers have built it in), mostly FTP. HFS, dunno...

If I'm wrong, tell me. I find that interesting.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I dont know much about NAS boxes and the like but if yours doesnt support running an OS and then using hfs(cool idea btw) you could look into building a cheap file server pc and loading linux/hfs on it and then you could also add hdd's at any time aswell.

Offline ELEVENNNN

• Tireless poster
  • havent been here lately, still wont be here?
    • View Profile
hfsJay if you are sucessful I want to know about it, I've been turning off my desktop that runs HFS every few nights because the fan has blown before and I hear it getting louder even when there is nothing intensive running on the machine, I've been using WOL to get it to start up but if I forget and im at work, WOW doesnt get through the restrictions my work has set and NAS drives would be my solution, can you please post the make/model of drive you are attempting this on?
This is going to take a long time
.................+...........................................
...................+.............+.................+.........

Offline RVO

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I need help on something that for me crazy.
I have a portable pc with windows 8.1 to manage HFS.
And I have two pc with shared disks trough network domestic group. It works as shown in the following image:

but the problem is that windows is unstable and needs some maintenance.
I'm trying to switch to a Freenas because and "easy" maintenance browser trough.
The problem is when I want to add a folder to the HFS vfs and locate the disc in FreeNAS, but not espande to the folder I want. Although usually get the windows as if ve in the second image.

How do I do?

Sorry errors but I used the google translator.

Thank you

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it's not possible to share a computer,

FREENAS3 seems not having shared resource

Offline RVO

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
But I do not want to share the computer.
In the first image there is a folder "movies" shared. in the second image and when I try to add this folder to the HFS it no longer is.

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
in the first image, the sharing appears because windows keeps the previous link as a favorite,

in the second image it is the reality that is displayed.

access to shared resources from another computer requires first connect to it with the correct access rights.

If the remote resource requires access authentication, in general both computers must have all the same account (same username and password) because the remote identification is done with the user account where is running HFS.

otherwise it is necessary to create a local drive linked to the remote resource and add thi new drive into VFS.

try mapping the folder as a network driver
https://4sysops.com/archives/map-network-drive-in-windows-7-windows-8-and-windows-8-1/
then add the drive to hfs
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:47:07 PM by Mars »

Offline RVO

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
???....
cmd and run the comand, asuming that this is the corect share name:

net use z: \\FREENAS3\flimes_1

then go to hfs and add (Z:) which will be located under my computer...
Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline RVO

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
It does not work like that. The HFS does not recognize the new network drives.
But I think already resolved. When I want to add a folder on vfs, I have to manually type the path of the folder you want to add and how it works.
Example: