rejetto forum

BEFORE THE NEXT BUILD 263: We so much hope to have...

Mars · 14 · 10679

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I would like this possibility in main.pas

Quote from:  main.pas
INITIALIZATION
if fileExists(exepath+'default.tpl') then
  defaultTpl:=loadfile('default.tpl')
else

defaultTpl:=getRes('defaultTpl');
when i test a new tpl, then i can have the possibility to restore my default tpl, not necessary the internal
 ;)

I just watched the contents of default.tpl, this has nothing to do with the philosophy of hfs with its macros available, there are more than javascript, which increases dramatically the load time of pages , especially since it is necessary to use an external library. the relocation of features of this template in others is almost impossible, as some of the players in the last rawr template.
 >:(

like in the kitchen, trying too hard to spice up a dish, you lose the flavor of the main ingredient, hfs has lost the flavor of its simplicity ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:13:40 PM by Mars »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
1. ok

2. macros are server-side, replacing php, not javascript.
the default template is still working fine if you have javascript disabled, i think this is enough.

3. i didn't notice the slowdown, that is for sure. Did anyone else?
anyway, there's often a price to pay for features.
If current way is a problem for many people, i can introduce an option that will make the template script-less.

4. what do you mean by "relocation"? copying features to other templates?

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
re: to 4

"the relocation of features"

error of translate

must be understood as "implementation of features ...." ;)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Everybody is not capable of making his template cooking with javascript or Java, even tsg is not capable any more of re-laying in the questions since giant disappeared. If there is not more than you to understand your scripts and improve them, I can say to you that hfs risks to vegetate for a long time. :'(

You who nevertheless likes the simplicity, I am strongly amazed at the road you have taken, and on the which one we have followed you with passion since our begin on the forum, you have been trapped by the way of ease.

Sorry to have to be also direct and rough, but I do not manage to find at the bottom of me the fervour of the first days. ;)

one thing to finish, do not take it bad and do not destroys your account on a whim (AS SILENTPLIZ ;D;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:18:00 PM by Mars »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you are complaining about bad sides, ok, but what are you suggesting?
to remove the features? or to make those features way much worst for the final user?
do you think that google Inc. is using ajax because it's fashion?
The default template should met everyone's needs, not the needs of scripters who don't know javascript, that's very few people.
be constructive
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:24:40 PM by rejetto »

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Everybody is not capable of making his template cooking with javascript or Java, even tsg is not capable any more of re-laying in the questions since giant disappeared. If there is not more than you to understand your scripts and improve them, I can say to you that hfs risks to vegetate for a long time. :'(

You who nevertheless likes the simplicity, I am strongly amazed at the road you have taken, and on the which one we have followed you with passion since our begin on the forum, you have been trapped by the way of ease.

Sorry to have to be also direct and rough, but I do not manage to find at the bottom of me the fervour of the first days. ;)

one thing to finish, do not take it bad and do not destroys your account on a whim (AS SILENTPLIZ ;D;)
I have to agree.  :(

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
MOVED to Everything else: WE ARE WAITING FOR ...

This topic has been moved to Everything else.

http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=8777.0
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:23:09 PM by Mars »

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
The goal of default template included in hfs (especially the beta!) is, from my point of view, to test and show the new features included in hfs.

Rejetto has done a great work in hfs, including a lot of features that users in the forum asked for, also a some of them only are useful to very few users ( Who needs renaming, creation of folders and delete functions on a small server throung the web interface? This are admin tasks, and i think that any admin can access his server directly or through remote access). But as the features are already written, it's ok to include them in the template.

Also some people complain that the new template has a lot of javascript, it's use is not slower than previous versions. More, it can be even faster. You may split the template, putting javascript and stylesheet in separate files, that will only be loades once and after they will be available from caché, what will even increase the speed of next load of a page. But as the default template may change with the further builds, it's a good idea to leave all in one common file which goas with every build.

Think that we most all use a beta, and that the default template allows new users to use hfs 'out of the box', but most users would like a template with a personal touch. For those, all te features hfs already has, may be available - as are already from the rawr team - more and more templates. People may select then if they want to use simple html files, or more sofisticated solutions making use of javascript. If someone makes a 'stable template' surely he would not pack everything in one file, he would use separate files for scripts and rest of the template.

It's clear that the new template may not be that simple to use for 'designers' used to the method of copy and paste. But a little effort to learn javascript and to use ajax will not be more difficult and be more usefull for people than learning 'macro'.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:35:21 PM by Mars »
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
( Who needs renaming, creation of folders and delete functions on a small server throung the web interface? This are admin tasks, and i think that any admin can access his server directly or through remote access).

who? i get many requests like this.
for most people setting up a VNC just for creating a folder once in a while is overkill.
if it can be done without much effort, it's good.

the "out of the box" is an important point of HFS.
i don't like people to be forced to install a 3rd party template to get features they consider basic.
hfs is customizable, yes, after you already got something decent.

people don't need to know javascript to customize the look of the template. Do they?

i think someone got dazed by the amount of javascript i put it.
I can assure you i'm not happy by this, and i'm trying to keep it low while still giving importance to the features.
in the next release i'm moving javascript sections at the bottom of the template, so you don't hit them while you don't want tio.

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
@rejetto & bacter

the simple solution is to do as silentpliz, put the two template in the resources

Light template.         without ajax
Evolved template.     with ajax

Like that everybody will be satisfied, and to begin by me  :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:40:26 PM by Mars »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
zerofool moved to http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php/topic,8825.0.html

mars, you may try to answer my questions if you want to discuss the thing.
i'll tell you why your suggestion is a bad usability choice: you'll give people this option of light template, while 99% of them will only wonder "why should i use a template with less features?".
if you are a template maker who wants an easier base for your template, there's no need to get it embedded in the program, you can download it somewhere.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:22:12 PM by rejetto »

Offline SilentPliz

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
  • ....... chut ! shh!
    • View Profile
Mars gives my example because I have put several templates in the HFS executable
But I have not put your template with a "light" version without ajax.

If I remove ajax in your template, in fact, there is no much left that works.  :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:43:47 PM by SilentPliz »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
for me it's ok to discuss the thing,
but it must be clear to avoid penalize the majority