rejetto forum

Help with multiple instances of HFS please.

selkov · 8 · 3477

Offline selkov

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I am using HFS to supply files both for my business and personal usage.
As I am on cable the IP # changes frequently, so i am using a DNS name.
Right now I have to main folders in the share tree - say B {business} and P {personal}.
Through the use of pw I can insure that friends cants access the co data.

But I need to supply everyone wit the same DNS name.
I would prefer to have TWO DNS Names, one for the company and one for me.
So in order to do that i assume I will need to run two copies of HFS each pointing to its own DNS. Only I can not get it to work.

I Created two folders on my secondary drive, one for each instance and assigned each a different DNS but whenever they shutdown and power back up they both default back to the IP address.

Any ideas on how to do this?

-eds

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Well, I don't know on what dynamic DNS service you are. I'm on DynDNS.com, which allows me to specify more than one host name, all of them pointing to the same IP. There's no need for more than one HFS this way... Free DynDNS.com is up to five hostnames AFAIK, at least it was the last time I looked.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline selkov

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Yes you are right. but then I can not copy an paste urls from within HFS without re-writing them.
Furthermore if when you initiate the download the download dialog will show whatever  address or DNS  HFS is set to. I nees them to be different!.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Yes you are right. but then I can not copy an paste urls from within HFS without re-writing them.

right. with HFS you can specify only one custom address for the URLs, although it will serve requests for any address.
you can ease your rewriting by having 2 similar addresses.

Furthermore if when you initiate the download the download dialog will show whatever  address or DNS  HFS is set to. I nees them to be different!.

do you mean the numerical IP address? you can do nothing about it.

Offline selkov

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
What I am concerned about is if I give IP# 123.123.com to one person and 124.123.com to another when they initiate a download the download dialog box they see on thier pc will show "Downloading from 1123.com" for both people. I would need either each person to see thier own ip [123 / 124] or just as good nothing at all!

-eds

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I think what he is after is a feature like the virtual servers(I think thats what it was called) in Apache. basically the user can set it so that when domain.com is requested the root of the file system is different then that if example.com was requested. effectively creating two or more http servers on the one machine using port 80.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
consider 123.123.com is not an IP address. You can know them because they are only numbers and dots.
Can you show me a screenshot of the problem you are experiencing?

Offline selkov

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Thank you for your help.
I have solved this issue by using two dif pc's.