rejetto forum

Remote upload over 1 MB not working using IE7 (updated)

Offline staffsmatt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Couldn't find an answer to this anywhere, apologies if it's been covered elsewhere.

We are running v2.2f and are having problems uploading anything over 1MB in size using IE7 (the same file will upload fine in Firefox and Chrome). The file will also upload ok when on the machine running HFS (in IE7) but not from any remote PC.

The log that is created when we try this is shown below:

09:32:47 username@10.0.0.11:1564 Requested GET /~login
09:32:47 username@10.0.0.11:1567 Requested GET /
09:32:49 username@10.0.0.11:1567 Requested GET /External Upload/
09:32:51 username@10.0.0.11:1567 Requested GET /External Upload/~upload

And on the remote PC you just get a page could not be displayed check your connection page....

There is no Firewall on the machine (windows or otherwise) and from the activity monitor on HFS it doesn't look like the upload starts at all...

This also happens when using IE tab in Firefox.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:47:31 AM by staffsmatt »

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
You have a very strange problem that seems not related to hfs. The IE tab extension in firefox uses the IE installed on the machine, so it's the same as using IE7 directly on the same machine.
Without more information, for me the problem seems to be a broken IE7 install, perhaps due to some microsoft-patchday side-effect. On the other hand, seeing your lan-ip you could be in a corporate net, and there could be a configuration problem - access rights or upload allowed filetypes(3).

Questions:
1. Have you tested on different remote machines with IE7?
2. Can you upload any file on other websites that use a form like hfs?
3. Are you logged in in the remote pc with admin rights? Have you tried to upload files with sure extension like .txt  ?
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline staffsmatt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Cheers bacter, I think you're right, other PC's can upload with no problem. I'll have a go at completely removing IE and re-installing it (have tried removing it through Add / Remove programs and then from windows components and then re-installing, still no joy though).

I have had a problem with java with IE, does HFS use java at all?

Thanks again.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Hi staffsmatt

1. hfs needs no java, and java does not interfere in the problem you described.

2. IE installs and unistalls on windows are a very dirty thing. Perhaps the most secure way to remove rests of ie7, is to install ie8. But before doing so, make a backup of your system, a restore point would not be enough in case of problems.

Offline staffsmatt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanks again, tried a few things actually - uninstalled and then cleaned up with x-setup, re-installed again and then uninstalled with revo uninstaller and finally installed IE8, none of it has worked...  Still not to worry as long as I know other people can access / upload I'll just use Firefox!

Thanks again for your help.

Offline staffsmatt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Right, I think this is a bigger problem that I thought, I've tested another client trying to upload and am having the same problem.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Run HFS on the original client that I was having problems with and uploaded the file I was having problems with from the original HFS server - worked fine.

Moved the new HFS file system to the original server and tried uploading the same file from the original client (running the new file system) - failed.

Connected to the server (running the new file system) from another machine (new build - IE7) - failed.

I did think that it could be something to do with flash version 10 as per:

http://www.usefulconcept.com/index.cfm/2008/10/30/KTML-File-Uploads-Hang-in-IE7-with-Flash-10-and-How-to-Fix

and

http://www.centernetworks.com/flash-10-uploading-swfupload

But after updating the original HFS server to flash 10 I can still upload the same file to HFS running on the original client PC (also flash 10)

I have also tried applying all windows updates to the Original HFS Server and am still in the same position..

I have noticed that I can't upload the file to gmail using IE either (but can on the original HFS server) and disabling the flash plug-in in IE allows gmail to work but not HFS...

IE7 and IE8 act the same (the only thing with IE8 that might help is that if I try to upload to gmail from IE8 it appears to work but comes up as C:\fakepath\filename.xxx instead of the correct path - this is with Flash enabled and disabled)

I'm kind of out of ideas now and would apreiciate any input. HFS would be a really useful tool for us but our users are not really up to fiddling with setups - it needs to "just work".

Apologies for the long and rambling post.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Hi staffsmatt
HFS would be a really useful tool for us but our users are not really up to fiddling with setups - it needs to "just work".
Even if you seem to experience something else: hfs just works. Users (clients that connect to the server) do not need to setup anything. The only setup required is on the pc where the server is installed: users, options un definition of the filesystem of the server.

HFS needs no java, no flash, and for very simple templates it even does not need any javascript. Some templates that you might use, however, use at least javascript and some may use flash.

I'am not able to follow all the tests you have done
I can't upload the file to gmail using IE either (but can on the original HFS server) and disabling the flash plug-in in IE allows gmail to work but not HFS...
...  you should try to relax and do your tests in a more sistematic manner:

1. If you want to install your server on another machine, DON'T copy the filesystem from one machine to another: create a new simple filesystem and one or two users.
2. Use the original template, not one with flashuploader.
3. Try using a actual beta version 2.3, build 248 (it works so fine as the stable version 2.2f)
4. Y suppose you are using windows XP - am I right with this?
5. Are you in a corporate lan? and have you admin rights on all machines with upload problems?

IE7 and IE8 are the most spreaded browsers beside firefox, and nobody reported such a problem like yours, so i suggest that the problem is in your systems (dammaged installs, access right problems, some security software..) Ask somebody outside of your network to access your server and to upload files for testing purpose.

Good luck! ;)

Offline staffsmatt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Right it's sorted now.

Problem was being caused by the traffic going through our proxy server (the HFS server is sitting in the DMZ) why this was affecting uploads of over 1MB and not those under I have no idea.

Tweaked our proxy.pac file so that connections to the HFS server bypass the proxy and all is working ok.

So HFS does indeed "just work"... as long as you set everything else up correctly... which I hadn't!

Cheers for the help.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
thanks for reporting the solution of your problem  ;)