rejetto forum

2.0 coming...

rejetto · 1151 · 539152

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Rafi"
But - the font is very small and not too bold.
the font was 9pt
i now set it to 10pt

Quote from: "oroill"
feature request: ability to creating a list for multiple ip adresses. so admins can make own ip list and easily select the ip adress. that will be better than write it to "custom ip adress" box every times.
you are saying you have several "custom ip"s ? :?

if you click, menu :arrow: ip adress :arrow: "don't include port in url", its not refreshing the adress field. you must click on other file/folder to refresh the adress.
fixed in next beta

503 Server is overloaded, retry later
What causes this message and why does it happen?
that's because you set something in menu :arrow: limits

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
2.0 beta15 @ www.rejetto.com/temp/hfs2.0beta15.zip

+ Menu -> Limits -> "Max contemporary downloads"
+ Menu -> Limits -> "Max contemporary downloads from single address"
- other minor fixes

Anonymous

Feature request :

Custom  menu names and buttons in HFS. Its really needed for non-english users. We may make localizations for it

Offline oroill

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "oroill"
feature request: ability to creating a list for multiple ip adresses. so admins can make own ip list and easily select the ip adress. that will be better than write it to "custom ip adress" box every times.
you are saying you have several "custom ip"s ? :?

umm, i mean custom ip = domain  :#)
a domain list on adress field's right click menu, like that

that will be better than write it to "custom ip adress" box every times.

Anonymous

Rejetto,

Thanks for doing such a good job on HFS.  I have been testing HFS and all of it's alpha and beta versions for about a year now and the program is evolving very good.

I have a few comments with regards to the last v2.0 beta 15 that maybe you can look into:

1. Root Folder Comment:
It works as it is expected to work but there is one problem with it and it has to do with login.

- if the root "/" restrict access is set to "NONE" and a person attempts to log in they are presented with the normal browser login popup asking for username and password etc.  Also, this popup shows a message that says "Password Protected Resource" which is what it should be.

- **BUT** if the root "/" restrict access is set to "ALL" (which is the way I Normally have it set) the browser popup asking for username and password shows a message that doesn't say "Password Protected Resource" but says whatever folder comment that has been used for the root folder including any html coding?  This is wrong and has to be fixed.

2. Limits:
Having limits is definitely needed with a http server as you are working with a limited amount of bandwidth.

Your latest two additions for max contempory downloads was definitely needed and work the way they are expected to work by limiting the amount of downloads a person can download at the same time.  However, I have a few comments I would like to make and maybe you can look into this:

- when max downloads has been reached or if max connections etc. have been reached up pops the 503 Server is overloaded, retry later page.  That must be an internal HFS message because it isn't coming from the [overload] section in the template.  As a matter of fact when do the [overload], [unathorized], [deny], and [ban] sections from the template get used?  The messages I have ever seen appear to be internal from HFS itself because they are different than what is in the template.

- the 503 Server is overloaded, retry later message I don't like.  That message to me, and others that have received it, infers that the server is to slow and can't keep up with the traffic which isn't true at all and is deceiving to anyone that receives it.  The message should be more meaningful with a "true" message of why it is being displayed.  If for example the max download limit has been reached, it should say something like "The maximum number of downloads at one time limit setup by admin has been reached, retry later" but not that the server is overloaded.

- This is the worst part about all of the limit settings except for disabled....  If there is a limit setting of any kind in limits it affects the whole server in a negative way.  For example, images that don't load especially when you have many users on your server at the same time. They could be file or folder icons, button icons, a logo, page of wallpaper thumbnails etc. don't all load if **any** of the limits are enabled.  If the limit, whether it be a connection limit or a download limit, is reached the images stop loading.  Even browser refreshing doesn't always load all images which sure doesn't look good on your page.

- I think the HFS concept of limits has to be re-thought and looked at again.

Thank you and hope you can answer my concerns because they affect everybody using HFS.

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Anonymous"
For example, images that don't load especially when you have many users on your server at the same time.
Yes, I noticed that too (20K-200K limits, 3 users ). but the problem was not the speed limit, but the # of users from the same address. Those extra connections were over the limit when browsing from the same address they download.

Anonymous

Rafi,

That's right.  My post above isn't referring to speed limit but connection and download limits.  It's the connection and download limits that is causing the problems with things not loading if those limits have been reached.

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Rafi,

That's right.  My post above isn't referring to speed limit but connection and download limits.  It's the connection and download limits that is causing the problems with things not loading if those limits have been reached.
I think the # limit should *optionally* apply only to downloading connections.

Anonymous

I think the # limit should *optionally* apply only to downloading connections.
I agree.  The max download limit and max download limit from a single address should only come into affect when a file from a file listing is actually being downloaded and not the normal downloading of images etc. that make up the look of your pages.

Right now it seems as if max connections, max connections from a single address, max downloads and max downloads from a single address are all related and are all setup the same way which affect the whole workings of the server.

Somehow rejetto should try to better seperate these limits.

Actually the more I think of it, the more I don't see the need for max connections or max connections from a single address.  They aren't needed.

HFS is a file server meaning people will be downloading files from our file listings.  So if rejetto can fix max downloads and max downloads from a single address to **only** affect the download of files from our file listings and **not** the downloading of images etc. that make up the look of our pages, that is all that is really needed.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the browser popup asking for username and password shows a message that doesn't say "Password Protected Resource" but says whatever folder comment that has been used for the root folder including any html coding? This is wrong and has to be fixed.
disable menu :arrow: other options :arrow: use comment as realm

That must be an internal HFS message because it isn't coming from the [overload] section in the template.
i just edited [overload] and the change is reflected on the browser output.
i guess you are using a customized template. check the statusbar, it should be saying.
your template may be incompatible with latest version.

- the 503 Server is overloaded, retry later message I don't like.
ok, i'll put a specific section

They could be file or folder icons, button icons, a logo, page of wallpaper thumbnails etc.
about the HFS generated icon, i don't know why this may happen. Maybe it is a limit over number of connections. Most browsers open several connections. If a connection fails, the browser may not retry to load again. I fear there's no solution on this. You may trying avoiding using "Connection limits".

about logos, etc, you should configure your HFS to not count them as downloads.
"Download limits" applies only to downloads.
File menu :arrow: Don't count as download
Since it is a filemask, you may even specify single filenames, like *.htm*;*.css;wallpaper.jpg
or even more, since this option is folder-based, you can have a folder for your extra stuff, and set * in don't count as download of that folder. This way HFS will exclude all files from that folder from being counted.

I agree. The max download limit and max download limit from a single address should only come into affect when a file from a file listing is actually being downloaded and not the normal downloading of images etc. that make up the look of your pages.
it is ALREADY SO
check my comment above

Actually the more I think of it, the more I don't see the need for max connections or max connections from a single address. They aren't needed.
it may be a way to prevent DoS, or something. it may just be superflous for you but useful for someone.

Anonymous

Quote from: "rejetto"
disable menu :arrow: other options :arrow: use comment as realm
Thanks.  It works.  Actually I thought I had that disabled.  Noticed that HFS doesn't save the disable as it defaults to on (checked) every time I load HFS.  Maybe you should take a look at this.

i just edited [overload] and the change is reflected on the browser output. i guess you are using a customized template. check the statusbar, it should be saying. your template may be incompatible with latest version.
Yes I'm using a customized template with beta 15.  All the status bar says is customized template.  There is nothing there  saying anything about being incompatible.  I don't get the messages from the template for some reason.

- the 503 Server is overloaded, retry later message I don't like.
ok, i'll put a specific section
Thanks.

Thanks, I didn't know that.  I don't think many people do.  I'll give it a try.

Since it is a filemask, you may even specify single filenames, like *.htm*;*.css;wallpaper.jpg
Should those be separated with a comma (,) or does it matter?

or even more, since this option is folder-based, you can have a folder for your extra stuff, and set * in don't count as download of that folder. This way HFS will exclude all files from that folder from being counted.
Good to know.  I didn't know that either.  I guess it's good to ask the developer questions like this to learn how to use his product correctly.

Thanks rejetto.  Your answers should help Rafi too.

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Good to know.  I didn't know that either.  I guess it's good to ask the developer questions like this to learn how to use his product correctly.
... or to ask him to make it better... ;)  Excuse me, but "things" like file-icons or any other "downloads" that are not REAL downloads but system related - should not be counted as such automatically (for the purpose of limits) . No filter should be required, especially - no folder related filter.

Anonymous

Excuse me, but "things" like file-icons or any other "downloads" that are not REAL downloads but system related - should not be counted as such automatically (for the purpose of limits) . No filter should be required, especially - no folder related filter.
Totally agree.  Dont' know why ALL downloads (system related and REAL file downloads) are automatically "defaulted" to count as a download then we have to play around with a filter to block which ones we don't want counted in limits. Rejetto's workaround seems to work but I will have to do some more testing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "rejetto"
Your advice works better but doesn't work 100%.

With certain images configured not to  count them as downloads, and with max downloads for a single address set to any number, some images (a logo for example) loads sometimes and sometimes not.  I've tested with two different browsers and Opera works better than Internet Explorer in displaying images but still in both browsers all images *sometime* don't load even if you press refresh.  Once whatever connections there were timed out, then the images that didn't load, loaded when the browser is refreshed again.

If all limits were disabled, no problem loading images.  Something still wrong here.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Noticed that HFS doesn't save the disable as it defaults to on (checked) every time I load HFS. Maybe you should take a look at this.
a bug
fixed

There is nothing there saying anything about being incompatible.
there's no "incompatibility" detection, indeed

Should those be separated with a comma (,) or does it matter?
comma won't work. you got to use semicolons ";"

"things" like file-icons or any other "downloads" that are not REAL downloads but system related - should not be counted as such automatically (for the purpose of limits)
it is already so
all files generated by HFS are not counted.
but HFS does not know what's your "wallpaper"...