rejetto forum

Small bug with "auto-hide empty folders"

Guest · 12 · 4859

Kalle B.

I have added one full drive (H:) and a few folders (from drive G:) from my external usb hard disk and set "auto-hide empty folders" for all of them so that when the hard disk is not connected those shares are not visible. This works fine with the folders, but the full shared drive (H:) won't hide. It's always visible and clicking it in browser of course results in 404.

I think this might be a bug of HFS not considering a drive as a folder and therefore not applying the auto-hide if empty function for it.

When the disk is not connected HFS also says in statusbar: "Out of space: H,G". Maybe it should be "Unavailable: H,G" or something?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i tried with a USB drive, and it worked flawlessly.
you set upload for those drive (this is proven by the fact you get the "out of space"), and the autohide doesn't work for upload folders.
so it has nothing to do with USB drives, but with upload.
it is so by design, because you should be able to see folders where you can upload even if they are empty.

About the "out of space" ... yes, i could introduce a new "unavailable" message, but, think of having 2 folders one is out of space and the other is unavailable. 2 contemporary messages. This would take much more space in the status bar. I'm unsure about this being good. Any opinion?

Kalle B.

I agree, it's better to keep it simple by not adding more messages...

I indeed had uploading enabled for that drive. But I still think there's something wrong with this thing since even though I disable the uploading, the folder stays visible and gives 404. And shouldn't HFS hide the drive anyway since it's not available as it hides all the (real) folders and files it can't find?

Now I see this had nothing to do with the auto-hide in the first place and that I had this auto-hide function enabled for these folders for nothing :D ...but instead this is an issue with availability. In "My Computer" there is no drive H: visible nor can I access it manually when the usb is not connected (obviously) ...but still HFS thinks it's available but just "Out of space".

Maybe this is just caused by a buggy usb driver or something on my Windows...It makes HFS think the drive is connected even when it's not. I wonder if it's possible to improve the way HFS finds out whether the resource is really available?

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile

I'm just guessing now, but when you had your usb drive installed and HFS saved its settings and virtual file system, that may be the reason HFS is still reporting the missing usb drive.

Remove your usb drive, get HFS to save it's new settings and virtual file system, then re-check and see if HFS still reports the missing usb drive.
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
as i already told you, i tested it and it worked correctly.
so, maybe you are just having a cache problem. double check.

moreover, is it still saying "out of space" ? if it is, then you didn't fully remove the upload thing on those folders. it should not appear.

Kalle B.

Yes, you're right, it doesn't show "Out of space: G,H" when the uploading is disabled for H: ...only "Out of space: G" like it should ...I should have looked more closely :-\

But that was not the case anyway... It's why does HFS think the drive is available even though it's not? Uploading has nothing to do with this since HFS does not show a folder that is removed from the computer even if it had uploading enabled or not. Somehow it still shows this drive even if it's removed...

If you can't reproduce this bug, then it must be caused by my system drivers... I've tried reconnecting the drive, removing it again, restarting computer and HFS, saving .vfs like maverick told me to but nothing seems to have any effect.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it's just because HFS doesn't even try to detect if a folder is available or not.
it was just measuring the available disk space.
this will be fixed in next build.

Kalle

Thanks for fixing the useless "Out of space" notification :D ..even though that wasn't bothering me half as much as this drive being listed even when it's not available. This problem still persists in 107 but as I already said, it might be cauded by my system...atm I'm not able to test it on other machines.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
hmm, i think i found the problem, stay tuned for the next build ;)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline KalleB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile