rejetto forum

A suggestion for "adding folder" dialogue box

Offline innison

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi rejetto,
I have been a fan of your great HFS. Thank you very much for the work.
I also have written a Chinese (Traditional) tutorial/demo with animated GIF to show other people how to setup HFS and its possible applications in some Chinese forum.

From the responses I have read in the Chinese forum, I think some people tend to be confused when seeing the dialogue popup during "adding folder" actions. For example, some people might be a bit lazy to read carefully what the dialogue says and click YES/NO directly. Soon or later, they found their folders does not update or behave the way they want. Some of them complain about it. (I actually already pointed out the differences between real and virtual folders in my Chinese tutorial. LIKE THIS)

If the wordings in "adding-folder" dialogue box are changed in the following ways, that might help clear up the confusion. (for people not good at reading English)

Instead of using "Yes" or "No", making it virtual or real may better prompt user to read ==HELP== more carefully. (pretty much like forcing them to read what the differences are)

I think this may help some people.

Offline DGC

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "innison"
Hi rejetto,

If the wordings in "adding-folder" dialogue box are changed in the following ways, that might help clear up the confusion. (for people not good at reading English)

Instead of using "Yes" or "No", making it virtual or real may better prompt user to read ==HELP== more carefully. (pretty much like forcing them to read what the differences are)

I think this may help some people.

I am inclined to aggree with innison on this...  I had to explain this several
time to my collegues before they finally understood the dialogue box.

thks
Dennis

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I think so too. I have an idea. Do not "ask" anything in the text. Just NAME the bottons (big ones...):
"Create a real folder"  & "Create a virtual folder"

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you are right, it is not for hasty users, the yes/no is a standard dialog, and it took me less time :)
anyway, the dialog should be made to cause the hasty user to create a real folder, because he can later switch to a virtual one.
and for another reason: a virtual folder may take a lot of time, wasted time if you want a real folder. real folders take no time.