rejetto forum

All users suddenly missing!

SonyUSA · 8 · 10612

Offline SonyUSA

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
(Decided to open a new thread.)

Basically, I couldn't access the server remotely via HTTP (request could not complete error) so I remoted into the box running it and the FHFS server was showing as Off. I went ahead and closed down the GUI and opened it back up...

The user list in the box promptly erased itself and I got a message that "Could not locate the root files...". It's only showing the Shared folder in the VFS listing now and none of the users can log in. They all have a ton of files they need to access and I'm up sh**s creek right now. Please help? :)

Side Note: They still show in the User Accounts tab under Options and the credentials work, they just can't log in because their files aren't "linked".

Found this in the logs, this was the last two entries from yesterday:

Code: [Select]
46.174.191.xx - - [22/Aug/2016:19:59:53 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 118260 "" "openscan"
64.16.214.xx - - [22/Aug/2016:20:02:48 -0500] "GET /myadmin/scripts/setup.php HTTP/1.0" 404 50491 "" ""

Edit: Nevermind, just saw it gave back 404 to that request. I'm guessing this was an attempt to crack into a Wordpress.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:01:53 PM by SonyUSA »

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
???

ok, so it sounds that there is a temp file that doesn't fully write the users... easily could be a permissions issue on files....

you will have to start over / or atleast delte the user data folder, or atempt to recreate them.....

make sure you have read and write permisions...
as explaind here with more setup detials:
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/fhfs/way-to-change-default-url-root/msg1059177/#msg1059177

if your still having problems lets us know
Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline SonyUSA

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I've closed and restarted the server many times before, but this time it wiped everything... I dunno :/

Sorry,, but I have to move to another product, this is going to cost me hours of work to get the users access to their files, whether I migrate or re-do this platform, and I can't have that happen again :(

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
It seems you are running FHFS on a VPS. There could be several possibilities that caused you problem. Even if you only had access to that VPS, the admins of the service may have touched or deleted something. And FHFS is an almost discontinued fork of HFS, with very limited support. I know it has a nice web GUI, but if you don't need the FTP features, it's better stick with HFS.

Sorry,, but I have to move to another product, this is going to cost me hours of work to get the users access to their files, whether I migrate or re-do this platform, and I can't have that happen again :(
Sorry to see you go, but even using paid commercial software, it's always recommended and encouraged to have backups (in an automated way), of at least all your configuration files, and host those backup files offsite (outside your VPS). In case of disaster, you can restore from your backup without problems. This is the same for a WordPress blog, a forum database, etc.
Good luck... :-\
HFS in Spanish (HFS en Español) / How to compile HFS (Tutorial)
» Currently taking a break, until HFS v2.4 get his stable version.

Offline SonyUSA

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
No, it wasn't a VPS, it was just a Windows Server box we had spare in our rack. I was the only one that logged into that box. Thanks for offering some suggestions though!

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
:) You welcome. I forgot to say something very important! The lastest FHFS version (v2.1.3) has know vulnerabilities, that were only fixed in the latest stable HFS version (remember that FHFS is internally using a very old HFS v2.3d Build #292 which is renamed as "server.dll" in your FHFS folder). Since FHFS in not maintained or updated, it contains vulnerabilities that may have exposed your server to hackers. So, unless your server was running totally on a LAN (without internet access), or unless you have updated the internal HFS version manually (I don't know if it does it automatically), your files may have been deleted by someone else. :-\

HFS v2.3d Build #292 was superseded by v2.3e, v2.3f, v2.3g, v2.3h and v2.3i [and now it's currently in beta testing v2.3j]. Specially, v2.3i was a very important security update, since it fixed a "Remote Command Execution" exploit. I haven't tested if FHFS is working fine with the last HFS v2.3i, but it should work fine. If you (or anyone here) want to try, please download the latest "HFS.exe" and rename it as "server.dll", and place that file in the main FHFS folder.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 06:34:38 AM by LeoNeeson »
HFS in Spanish (HFS en Español) / How to compile HFS (Tutorial)
» Currently taking a break, until HFS v2.4 get his stable version.

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
No, it wasn't a VPS, it was just a Windows Server box we had spare in our rack. I was the only one that logged into that box. Thanks for offering some suggestions though!

what OS are you running?

a sever os?

or clinet os?
(xp - win 10) ?

there are know issues with hfs running on server based os....
Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
what OS are you running?

a sever os?

or clinet os?
(xp - win 10) ?

there are know issues with hfs running on server based os....

I highly doubt your server actually lost any data.  The VFS is rebuilt dynamically, it isn't really saved anywhere.  It sounds like your server was moved or had something weird done that caused it to be unable to access it's configuration files. Putting everything back to the way it was would solve that.  I'm quite sure that that problem doesn't just happen and you or the server or someone else must've moved an FhFS file.