rejetto forum

Thunderchicken of Glory - Before Logged Builds -

ledufe · 46 · 25017

Xavier

You spent a lot of time on this template.  The main problem with it is that it depends heavily on javascript to work.  Therefore, it isn't user friendly.  There are many reasons why people don't travel the net with javascript enabled, the main one being security.

I guess it all depends on the type of user you want to attract to your site.  If it is just family and close friends your template would be ok if they didn't mind using javascript.  If you are opening up your site to the public, that's another matter.

The challenge in making a "good" user friendly template is to have the same type of features available and accessable to all users whether they use javascript or not. 

I once used a template with a lot of javascript and found that many people avoided the site if the javascript requirement was pushed on them.  They simply moved on to the next site which means I not only lost potential users,  I also waisted a lot of time creating a template that wasn't user friendly. 

Offline Flynsarmy

• Occasional poster
  • DENIED!
    • View Profile
    • Flynsarmy
TOG template was never designed with the security conscious in mind. I personally am really slack
with system security (although i DO use FF instead of IE :P) and i'm pretty sure TSG is too. Our
template was designed for the majority and due to all major browsers having JS enabled by default,
we've found that most people tend to support JS in websites.

You do bring up a good and valid argument though. It's possible we did overlook the fact that some
people may not use it. We've been working hard on trying to get the site compatable for all browsers
although there are still a few glitches here and there (images in IE anyone?). I personally will convince
the mighty Ledufe and his bumbling sidekick TSG to make sure anything available in JS will also be
available without it - you may lose the snazzy affects, but the meat of the site should still be there.

As always, constructive criticism is welcome and we encourage anyone with any ideas or suggestions
to speak up.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
javascript = ajax = web 2.0 = most google services

there is no way out, but using an updated good browser

HFS will always furnish a js-free template, but in the future the default template will be plenty of javascript

Offline ledufe

• Tireless poster
  • LEandro DUpont FErreira
    • View Profile
    • http://ledufe.no-ip.info:2222
... but in the future the default template will be plenty of javascript

looks interesting.....

lets wait....
HFS 3.....
i can hear it comming....
<<LeDuFe>>

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
OK i have made a version of the template with NO JAVASCRIPT AT ALL!!!! it LOOKS the same but without the dynamic effects :)

I hear a low roar of victory from the security paranoid...
I think i have gotten rid of all javascript, please post if i havent...

NOTE: This current version of the no javascript ToG will probably never change...  :o

EDIT: This version has been removed, the Thunderchicken_of_Glory, is now compatible with browsers when they have javascript turned off.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:21:41 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Just taking a look at your template.  Nice Job.  Has anyone reported incompatibilities with the Registration feature?

Here are my findings with the browsers I have available right now:

Opera v8.51 - as soon as I try to enter text in any field by first clicking the mouse on the field, the popup closes as if I hit cancel.
Opera v9.02 - I can enter text in all of the fields, but after I click submit, Opera pops up with an error and I have to shut it down.
Internet Explorer v6.0 - same as Opera v8.51
Firefox v1.5.0.1 - works
Netscape v7.2 - works

maverick

Offline Fysack

• Tireless poster
  • present picture
    • View Profile
    • Admin
wow :o great work and progress everybody. I hardly keep up configure it ;D

Java.., Security.., Userfriendly.., People turn of java because its have the power to scear you. I know i did.
With HFS i look at security in a new way. If you want to make your computer to a fileserver, so back it up!
And user friendly for everybody also mean that you can have the option to tweak it to the maximum.
Thats why playstation1 beat the shit out of nintendo64  ;)
The perfect template to hfs would be the one with 2 clicks install, clean and smoot,along with hfs`s drag and add, fullworking , no questions.
Along with that you can have the Thunder Chicken of Glory power pack, or even better you could have a button like hfs expert/easy somewhere somehow  :P

Has anyone reported incompatibilities with the Registration feature?

Yea, same happend to me, i use updated iexplorer and opera. I also use symbian OS on phone who had some issues also, this symbian OS + HFS + TCG noLogin work verry verry verry smoot.
GOD CAN READ YOUR MIND

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Opera v8.51 - as soon as I try to enter text in any field by first clicking the mouse on the field, the popup closes as if I hit cancel.
Opera v9.02 - I can enter text in all of the fields, but after I click submit, Opera pops up with an error and I have to shut it down.
Internet Explorer v6.0 - same as Opera v8.51
Firefox v1.5.0.1 - works
Netscape v7.2 - works

I know about these issues, we are looking into removing almost all of the javascript we have alot of work ahead lol. I can fix the popup closing issue, i know what's causing it. BUT the submit button issues your having are strange, i have no problem with it on my machine. So i will fix this popup closing problem momentarily.

I i have noticed that the 'Login to: %host%' form button crashes opera that is the weirdest error EVER, so i will make it a html link button with some styling  ::)

The perfect template to hfs would be the one with 2 clicks install.

If someone could tell us how to make an install exe that could set the script.js and install the template, it would be great, cause then we could get more complex templates happening  :o

EDIT: I HAVE FIXED THEM, as usual i uploaded them again, if there is any problems post about it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 05:46:47 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I i have noticed that the 'Login to: %host%' form button crashes opera that is the weirdest error EVER, so i will make it a html link button with some styling  ::)

That doesn't happen here.  What happens here is "nothing".  Actually if I let Opera do it's thing long enough, I'm sure it would timeout trying to bring up the login popup.  I can't login from that login page at all with Opera v8.51 and Opera v9.02. I was able to login with Firefox v1.5.0.1 but it took an awfully long time for some reason.  I didn't try it with any other browser.

A html link would probably be the best solution.  We know that works.
maverick

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
EDIT: I HAVE FIXED THEM, as usual i uploaded them again, if there is any problems post about it.

What did you fix?  The registration issue?  If so that change would be in the script.js file, right?  Is this the link to the fix -->
// link removed
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:56:35 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »
maverick

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
As i have said before ANY changes that are made, are put into that .zip file and hosted  :D, I fixed all the problems you were having, i hope.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I fixed all the problems you were having, i hope.

Please don't think I'm being sarcastic, because I don't mean to be.  But, the problems I reported had to do with the registration feature.  I'm not sure what you fixed other than create a html login link.  The registration problems remain as stated previously.
maverick

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
When i click the "Submit" button in Opera 9.02 on my pc, it just comes up saying that i need to set a mail client? i dont use opera so its not set up... So i dont know what the problems you were having. The problem you were having lay in the script.js and on the template, i had to repair both of these.

When 'Submit' is clicked on my Opera i get this first:

<127.0.0.1>

This form will be submitted via e-mail, revealing your name and e-mail address to the recipient. Do you want to continue?

Then (once i click 'yes') i get:

You need to create an account before proceeding. Would you like to create one now?

This is where i hit 'No' cause i dont want to set my opera up, its only for testing.

Because of these popups occuring, i am lead to believe that the mailto: link is in fact working perfectly fine  :D

OOOOOOH!!! i just realised!!! The user of the template has to open it in Dreamweaver or Wordpad (some compatible editor) and put their email address into this following field, how can u have a registration form if it goes to my email address lol ;)

action="mailto: **** YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS **** "

If you read the "README", i actually tell the users to go through looking for **** SOMETHING **** in the two pages.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 08:32:36 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I made that change using plain old notepad.  So that's not the issue.  Don't know why different systems have different results.  Nothing you fixed made any difference here.  I re-checked both versions of Opera as well as IE.  Problems didn't change.  I wasn't the only one that reported this.   Fysack in this thread also had problems and I'm sure there are others.

That's ok.  I'm using a different method to do registrations.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 08:22:26 AM by maverick »
maverick

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
We are up for any suggestions on the template, the template has come to a stage where its time to refine it, because it has all the features we wanted in it now.... spose a video player would be nice... possibilities are endless. But refining it is more important at the moment.

I am interested in this alternate registration method Maverick :), please share it. I want this template to be  FULLY cross browser compatible, and at the moment that registration form is the most annoying thing.

Add me to your msn if you want to chat about hfs, or about anything in general, i am on it 24/7.