rejetto forum

installing HFS onto my website?

BAFTUB · 10 · 4226

Offline BAFTUB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I just had a simple question, would I be able to install this program onto my website?

It has to be possible, but I cannot figure out how to do it, All I want is that I be able to use this nice tool to host my files without using my bandwidth.

I am not very good with networking as I am with pc repair, but I have managed to set this up and forward the ports so I can share my music with my friends.

Offline SilentPliz

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
  • ....... chut ! shh!
    • View Profile
Welcome BAFTUB !  :)

A simple answer. It's not possible to do that with HFS.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
longer answer: it's not possible with classical "web hosting" services. (as the one i use to run rejetto.com!)
you need the ability to run windows programs on the server, and thus you should have a "private server" (a "virtual" one is ok) service, and much better if it's a Windows one, so you don't have to resort to Wine. These services are more expensive than "web hosting".

Offline BAFTUB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
longer answer: it's not possible with classical "web hosting" services. (as the one i use to run rejetto.com!)
you need the ability to run windows programs on the server, and thus you should have a "private server" (a "virtual" one is ok) service, and much better if it's a Windows one, so you don't have to resort to Wine. These services are more expensive than "web hosting".

So, I would need to have my own physical server running windows home sever, basiclly?

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
It's not very clear what you mean in your first question. Do you already have a website? Do you host it on your PC? Do you host it on a server, and if so, what type of server?

All I want is that I be able to use this nice tool to host my files without using my bandwidth.

File hosting needs some bandwith. HFS is a http server, it needs no other server, more even, you cannot integrate directly hfs ina a website that uses a different server.

Take a look at the wiki to see what hfs can do and what is not the purpose of hfs: http://www.rejetto.com/wiki/index.php/HFS_Documentation_%28English%29
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
So, I would need to have my own physical server running windows home sever, basiclly?

if i wasn't pedantic i would just say "yes". :)
since i am, i will say: not necessarily physical, a virtual one is enough (that is, a virtual machine on a physical system),
and "windows home server" is a specific version, that's not required, ANY windows version will fit.

fjgh99

On web page on my sites I put in a url in a web pare that goes to my FTP server.  The url must have a username and password embedded in the url.  The username is associated with a specific folder with files.  I have many usernames so different folders are available.  Having one username and one folder for thousands of files is not good for lots of reasons.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i don't understand if there's any implicit question or request in your message.

Yopen

Hello Team.I use HFS from 1 day and I love this software.I have similar question like in this thread.
I have web-server(AppServ) running on my PC(win7) , router D-link DIR-655 and I want to use HFS, like aditional file server.

The problem is that HFS use the same addres as my web-server and when I start my public address outside of my router I can not use both of them.I view, only my home page.
I want add to my web menu personal link to HFS.
1.Is it possible?
2.Can I change the address that use HFS?

Sorry for my bad english and thanks in advance!

Offline yopen

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I'am already refgistered! The problem is solved.Great program.Now I have website,forum and superb file server!All in one!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:19:19 PM by yopen »