rejetto forum

Desperate for wiki (documentation) HELP

Offline herbiman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I suppose this is mostly directed at ledufe & moondog, but anyone else, please feel free to join in.

Although i'm an HFS newbie i've been trying to improve the wiki; in particular by writing a "First-time user" section.

http://rejetto.com/wiki/index.php?title=First_time_configuration

(The only rule we have right now, is that everything must be for v. 2.1. Plz feel free to comment on the above, incidentally.)

One of the next sections will deal with using the new HTML editor and changing the appearance of your HFS site. However, I can't actually write this yet, because I don't understand it and can't really get it towork! (Ok, dumb newbie would be more accurate.)

I see 3 sections.
1. Loading a tpl file into the editor, applying it and seeing the results.
2. Editing the tpl file.
3. Advanced ... converting an html file to tpl, adding images, necessary files, etc.

Right now, I need help with 1.
Can you direct me to where I can dl one or more tpl files that i can use?
I tried  ledufe's collection but the ones i chose i couldn't make work. (I repeat, i'm a dumb newbie.)

Other information I would find useful?

You are, of course, also free to contribute directly to the wiki.

Offline ledufe

• Tireless poster
  • LEandro DUpont FErreira
    • View Profile
    • http://ledufe.no-ip.info:2222
Although i'm an HFS newbie i've been trying to improve the wiki; in particular by writing a "First-time user" section.
(cool  ;D, im doing the translation of the wiki english to brazilian portuguese, so your section will be translated too)

...the new HTML editor and changing the appearance of your HFS site.
wich new editor? the embed editor inside the main hfs .exe, or some other editor?

However, I can't actually write this yet, because I don't understand it and can't really get it towork! (Ok, dumb newbie would be more accurate.)
press "f5" to change the hfs mode to expert
go on menu, edit HTML template and make any of the changes that you want to try, and a little tip for you, if you want to just change the colors or some simple change to the values in the [style] section, it would make changes without breake the template

or you could use the import button to load one of the templates you found on this forum or inside my server....

and i will try to help later, when i get home...
<<LeDuFe>>

Offline herbiman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thank you for your helpful and speedy reply.
The whole English wiki and FAQ has been rewritten.
I'm only talking about 2.1, so the Template editor is the top entry in the main menu "Edit HTML template". And you are absolutely correct, i wanted to start by "to just change the colors or some simple change to the values in the [style] section".

But, as far as I can tell, the Editor only loads or imports tpl files. I tried some of those on your site, but couldn't persuade any of them to load. If you could tell me which tpl file(s) definitely work, we might be able to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Offline ledufe

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
But, as far as I can tell, the Editor only loads or imports tpl files.

and also it shows some text in a kind of text editor, and this text IS the TEMPLATE, and you can if you know what are doing, change the layout and the way that the template will generate the html of the pages that the client users will browse....

I tried some of those on your site, but couldn't persuade any of them to load.

have you tryed the command "Import" and poited it to some .tpl file to import the template, clicked on the apply button? this should work....

If you could tell me which tpl file(s) definitely work, we might be able to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
try some of this page, they should work fine.... and about how to use then...well  just select all the text of the desired template, open your hfs, and fire this command, Menu>Edit HTML template, on the template editor, do right-click and select all the text, hit delete, and again do the right-click past the entire text you copied and click apply and you are good to go, and if you want to save this template to use later, or to try some others, just hit the export buton, and name it, ....
hope it helps..
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=1750.0
<<LeDuFe>>

Offline herbiman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanks ledufe, for the help, i think i'm all sorted now. Remeber the wiki motto "Everything is difficult the first time you do it!"

I remain amazed however, that no-one can point me to known working tpl file.

I hope to make some today, (it's mostly a matter of changing the file extension!)and then, perhaps after you've tested them, they could find a home on your site in say a "Beginners" section, or "Verified" or whatever. I don't know how to upload to you.

I THINK that many of the iniutial problems I had were down to using Opera. I'll add a bit to the wiki about not using that as the default browser when doing template experimention; but I await correction.

The other problem is in the editor itself. When you import or save, you are only offered to do this as a template file type. (presumably *.tpl). But you can import HTML files (at least well formed ones). But unless you know this, you'll never see HTML files in the list. I think I would call this a bug. (am "talking" to rojetto)

Thankyou again. I'd be very grateful if you'd read this section in the wiki... I'll send you a link when it's drafted.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I remain amazed however, that no-one can point me to known working tpl file.

Why do you say they aren't working?  What's happening after you import them into HFS and run them?

I THINK that many of the iniutial problems I had were down to using Opera. I'll add a bit to the wiki about not using that as the default browser when doing template experimention; but I await correction.

There is absolutely no problem using Opera or any other browser when trying out different templates.  So don't put false information into the wiki.  It almost sounds like you don't know how to install a new template.  Using the HFS template editor - import the new template you want to try.  Click on Apply then OK.  Refresh your screen.  Done.  Then after you are done testing it you can go back into the editor and restore the default template or import another one.

maverick

Offline herbiman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Maverick, like you i'm very concerned about putting false info in the wikki.

I'm perfectly willing to accept the errors i'm making are MY fault; i am very much a newbie.

However, Ican only report my experience. When i used opera, i changed my site's appearance using the "Default black template". But i was completely unable to change it back to the normal default. I kept using "revert to default" and "apply" in the HTML editor, but it would NOT change back. I even unistalled HFS and reinstalled.
Eventually I stopped using Opera and tried Firefox. It worked perfectly.

A possible solution to this is to wait till i've drafted that bit of the wiki, (hopefully today), and use the wiki comments page to paste your comments.

But if you prefer, we can use the forum.

The other problem i had was that that the Template editor only offered the choice to import "template files" presumably tpl. I now know it can actually load html, but these don't currently show up in the HTML editor file list.

As far as I know everything works fine for me now, as long as I don't use Opera.

Offline herbiman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Sorry, in the above

"the wiki comments page to paste your comments."

SHould be

"the relevant wiki Article Discussion page to paste your comments. "

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
However, Ican only report my experience. When i used opera, i changed my site's appearance using the "Default black template". But i was completely unable to change it back to the normal default. I kept using "revert to default" and "apply" in the HTML editor, but it would NOT change back. I even unistalled HFS and reinstalled.

What HTML editor are you using?  I'm talking about the HFS built-in editor.  There is no "revert to default" option in it.  There is a "restore default" option that you should use.  Did you clear your browser cache after applying the change?  Usually all it takes is a browser screen refresh (F5 in most browsers).

The other problem i had was that that the Template editor only offered the choice to import "template files" presumably tpl. I now know it can actually load html, but these don't currently show up in the HTML editor file list.

HFS uses HTML templates with the *.tpl extension.  These templates not only include HTML coding but also  specific sections and symbols that HFS understands to create on-the-fly pages that you see when browsing a HFS site.  Without the proper HTML coding with HFS sections and HFS symbols, the templates wouldn't work right or not at all. (see "Help" in the built-in HFS HTML template editor).
maverick

Offline herbiman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
My apologies. Of course i am only talking about the 2.1 built-in editor.
I should however,have written "restore default" not "revert to default".
Even more good news is that your suggestion of refreshing the browser DOES work (which goes in the wiki); you see how much i need help from you.

I am making progress albeit slow. You haven't quite got my point about the editor. I think i do understand the distinction between tpl and html. I did for example, rewrite the editor help (under rejetto's supervision) but my point is that the editor only offers to load tpl files. A first time user like me has no way of knowing you can also load an html file. I'm not sure how to handle this; my initial thought is to tell users to change the filenam from *.html to *.tpl

I also think its a good idea to make a sub directory called Templates, but i epect i'll later run into trouble with templates that require some files in root.

Offline herbiman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
moondog

http://rejetto.com/wiki/index.php?title=Refinements#HTML_Editor_and_Templates

I'm not able to work on the wiki anymore till tonight, but  you (and everbody else) are welcome to "tear to pieces" the initial draft of the start.
You can post here, or (better) use the Discussion page in the wiki.

Offline herbiman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanks again ... all this is useful for the wiki although I'm only dealing with first time users right now. (ANd assuming they have no knowledge of HTML). So I call this an "Advanced" topic.

But it will go in, somewhere.

I do have basic knowledge of html-
See

http://rejetto.com/wiki/index.php?title=Graphic_experiment

but you have to click edit to see the html, and i can't quite get the images to work at the size i want (so have removed most of them).

Will be offline for a while, now.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
my point is that the editor only offers to load tpl files. A first time user like me has no way of knowing you can also load an html file. I'm not sure how to handle this; my initial thought is to tell users to change the filenam from *.html to *.tpl

As I mentioned before, HFS uses html "templates" with the *.tpl extension.  That is why there are no other extensions available when importing a template into the built-in editor.  In other words, the HFS html editor only edits templates with the tpl extension.  It would also be "bad advice" to tell users to change the filename from *.html to *.tpl just so you can use the HFS editor.  That *.html file probably won't have the proper coding that HFS understands to make its virtual pages - which includes sections and symbols like I mentioned previously.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't also load a html file with a *.htm or *.html extension from HFS.  That is simply done by calling a html file from "within" the template itself.  To do this you have to have a understanding of HTMl coding.  For example let say I wrote a html file with notepad or some other editor and saved it as herbiman.html.  And let's say that I wanted an option to open this herbiman.html file at a certain point from within my template.  In my template I would add the following code:  <a href="/herbiman.html">herbiman</a> .  I would also add that html file to my virtual file system.  Done.
maverick

Offline herbiman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Sorry Maverick, i'm confusing my mavericks with my moondogs, must be getting near Halloween.
See also my mail tio him, above.

I totally accept your point about changing filenames. 

My idea was to quickly make a set of known working tpl's and host them on ledufe's site. (Which is where i'm mostly dl from.) then i'll cut out the renaming bit.

But right now, I don't see any way of handling this for new users.
The HFS template editor only accepts tpl files. (and I can't find many --- but there are lots of htm files (templates)

http://rejetto.com/wiki/index.php?title=Refinements
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:54:46 AM by herbiman »

Offline ledufe

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
But right now, I don't see any way of handling this for new users.
The HFS template editor only accepts tpl files. (and I can't find many --- but there are lots of htm files (templates)

http://rejetto.com/wiki/index.php?title=Refinements

but i guess that is the point, edit the template is not for new users.
<<LeDuFe>>