rejetto forum

max download limit

Guest · 16 · 6238

Roffe

Hi all!

I have noticed that people only can download at 350 kb/s at max speed from my HFS v2.0beta30

Has anyone the same problem?

When I download from my self I get 5 MB/s , so it is something strange to the internet compare to local download.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
nothing strange
on the contrary, you have a very fast upstream :)
i can't over 60k/s
ask your ISP for your max upload speed

Roffe

well, it is a problem.

Because I have 10mbit upload speed.

If people download 2 files, they get 350 kb/s at each, and that will account for 700 kb/s

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
are you absolutely sure you have 10mbps in upload?

Roffe

yes off course!

Otherwise I wouldn't be asking  ;) it would be really stupid then.

And as I said, the more files you download simultaneously the higher total speed I get.

So when 2 files are downloading from me, I outstream a total speed of 700 kb/s.

And according to what I've learned in school about mathematics, that is obviously more than 350 kb/s, proving my upload speed to be higher then 350 kb/s  :D  

I just wanted to see if someone else had this problem.

Otherwise, your software rules  ;)

Offline SiY11

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
10mbps is 1024 * 10 = 10240 / 8 = 1280kilobytes a sec wow do you have the new Verizon fiber optics I wish I had that in my area I would be all over that stuff.

That an internet freaks wet dream!

Mike Hunt

Roffe,

I sure wouldn't call that a problem.  If it was I wish I had that same problem. :)

I never heard of a home user having a 10 mb/s upload speed.  Download yes.  Well maybe from wherever you are from. B)

I'm sure you mean kB/s and not kb/s in your posts above right because there is a difference...

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
can you make a test using another software? ftp or http, doesn't matter.
so we can see if the problem is HFS related.

Offline SiY11

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
You know most people can only download at 3mbps. That is 1024 * 3 = 3027 / 8 = 384 kilobytes per second. That is why you are only getting a max speed of 350 per person beacuse they are maxing out not you.

krakkro

I can assure you that "Roffe" has 10/10 Mbit connection. I know that because i know him personally. Here at university you can mostly get a 10mbit connection while you are going there.

I myself have download of 8 mbit och upload 0.7mbit on DSL connection. And about FTP test transfers there is no problem with his connection because when and if i'm downloading anything from him FTP-way i can max out my download meaning i get about 700 "kilobytes" from him.

If i'm downloading same files from his HFS HTTP server i can only reach maximum of 350 kb/s for a single file. If i'm downloading more then the total speed rises closer to my max of 700kb/s.

One thing more if i use any type of download accelerator i can reach those 700 kb/s from him.

The problem remaining is why can't it go above 350 kb/s when downloading normally through browser without any help of download accelerators???

And btw "rejetto" excellent software you've made ;-)

/krakkro

Mike Hunt

Quote from: "krakkro"
I can assure you that "Roffe" has 10/10 Mbit connection. I know that because i know him personally. Here at university you can mostly get a 10mbit connection while you are going there.

I myself have download of 8 mbit och upload 0.7mbit on DSL connection. And about FTP test transfers there is no problem with his connection because when and if i'm downloading anything from him FTP-way i can max out my download meaning i get about 700 "kilobytes" from him.

If i'm downloading same files from his HFS HTTP server i can only reach maximum of 350 kb/s for a single file. If i'm downloading more then the total speed rises closer to my max of 700kb/s.

One thing more if i use any type of download accelerator i can reach those 700 kb/s from him.

The problem remaining is why can't it go above 350 kb/s when downloading normally through browser without any help of download accelerators???

And btw "rejetto" excellent software you've made ;-)

/krakkro
Thanks for the reply krakkro.  Yes rejetto made an excellent software.

Your post confirms what Roffe has said.  It also indicates that some fine tuning is needed or there is a bug is in HFS.  (maybe this has something to do with the processQ bug we experience once in a while).

Strange that the download speed through a browser for one file is half the speed of what it should be but if you are downloading more than one file with an download accelerator you get your max download speed.

rejetto will have to look at this but he might need a fast upload connection like Roffe has to check things out.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
so... weird :?
i have no idea about it
i don't think it can be a CPU hog problem
i can't even reproduce your problem

nikhil

I had a similar problem, and I am running HFS on a 100Mbps LAN so bandwidth is not a problem.

Disabling all logging solved the problem.

Anonymous

Quote from: "nikhil"
I had a similar problem, and I am running HFS on a 100Mbps LAN so bandwidth is not a problem.

Disabling all logging solved the problem.
I'm not sure about that, but maybe.  I don't notice any abnormal cpu load when logging is active. (video and to file)

The problem described above is when downloading 1 file through the browser.  If multiple files are downloaded at the same time or if a accelerator is used the problem isn't there.

If the problem exists with high upload bandwidth the problem might also exist with lower upload bandwidth as well but wouldn't be as noticeable.

I dunno.  Weird.

Roffe

Allright Rejetto!

Well, maybe you want to take a closer look by controlling my computer through RealVNC, because I have that application installed in my computer.

If you dont know what RealVNC is, you can google it, it a software for remote controlling :)

I have hollidays for now, and wont be back until 8th January 2006. I am heading back to my hometown :]

Well, if you want to test it or something, we can arrange it then.

If not, then you'll have to confirm my problem in another way or test with someone else.

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year!