rejetto forum

Sovled: Issue regarding an oddity with my upload speed to other people

Offline quoth09

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Ok, first off just wanted to say HFS is one of the best pieces of software I have used in a long time. I have absolutely no complaints other than wanting Unicode support, but I can get past that for the other variety of features that this has. It could never have Unicode support and I would be fine with the richness otherwise. It's way better than the competitor product that I'm sure others here have used before that starts with WWW as the program name. I was using that before HFS, and I have already tossed it, as it is a joke compared to HFS, not to mention HFS is free, and you can't get better than that. I plan on donating very soon.

However here is my deal, and it is a minor one. I seem to be having upload problems to other people. It's not my connection I know for fact, nor is this an issue with me not knowing my internet speed and wondering why my upload is not as fast as my download. I know about asymmetric connections, aka normal residental ones.  I did a search prior to posting this, and all I found were a bunch of ignorant people wondering why they could download at so and so speed, but not upload at the same speed, when the answer is your connection is normal. I have also read over the documentation, and the FAQs.
In fact here:

Yeah, max I get is about 2MB/sec on downloads, and max I can upload at is about 250-260KB/sec. That's normal. That's what my connection is rated at, and I get that kind of upload on any file sharing site I have ever used: MegaUpload, Easy-Share, YouTube, torrents, RapidShare, Sendspace, etc. as well as FTPs. I have also previously had another HTTP server via website and I was able to send out full speed there as well.

So, yeah I should be getting about that on HFS, right?

That's the problem. I have no limits in place, everything is unrestricted, doesn't matter if my virus scanner is on or off, doesn't matter if my firewall is up on any of my devices; the absolute max I send out at any point in time, with people downloading files from my HFS server is about half of my normal uploading speed, about 125kb/sec.

The self test passes flying colors as well, absolutely no issues, and my port that I have HFS set to is completely fine.

I have no issues with people uploading to me, in fact I have a friend that can send files to me via my HFS server, and I get full upload bandwidth from him.

I'm completely stumped on this one, and while it's not a huge deal, it's kinda bugging me as to what's limiting my uploads on this one. Anyone that can help or has an explanation that I am possibly not seeing here, I would extremely appreciate it and thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:49:54 AM by quoth09 »

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
What version of HFS are you using?  If you are using 2.2f try the latest beta.  It might solve the problem.   http://www.dovedove.it/hfs/hfs243.exe

maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
welcome!
and thank you for your words.
sadly HFS has some speed problems, but i'm trying to improve with time, and you should ensure to check latest versions as suggested by maverick.

Offline slasherx

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
yes try using latest beta.

My upload is around 12Mbps and HFS uploads at full speed.

Offline quoth09

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I just tried the beta (243) that you all recommended, and it fixed the issue; I was able to have people download from me at full speed no issues.

I think I will stick with the 243 at the moment until I run into an issue possibly related to that one, or if major other upgrades occur.

Thank you so much!

Offline KooolaNL

• Occasional poster
  • EY
    • View Profile
    • wat
i have 10mb/sec upload

i sometimes only do 100-299kb/sec with that

still like the program tho l-D