rejetto forum

Download Speed Question

Guest · 4 · 1636

kaz

Hi,

I have just downloaded and started to use HFS.  First of all, this is a great software.  It was so easy to set it up.  Thank you very much for the author of the software and for the user community who has put feedback to the software.

This question might not be specific to HFS, but I would like to ask something about the download speed.  I have a cable internet connection and it has 10Mbit/s speed.  In fact, speed test sites show about 1.2MByte/s and I can get the maximum speed of 1.2MByte/s when I download files through BitTorrent.

When I downloaded a file from the HFS which I set up for the first time, the download speed was around 50KByte/s which was not fast.  So, I unchecked the "Prevent Leeching" option and used a download manager to download another file.  I set the maximum number of connections to 8 at the download manager side.  Then, I was able to download the file with the speed of approx. 400KByte/s (50KByte x 8 = 400KByte, I guess).

Anyway, my question is why 50KByte/s or so for a single download?  I have not limited any speed in the settings.  So, I'm wondering where this limit is from.

Thank you very much!

- Kaz

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Was the computer running hfs on a computer i the same lan or was it being accessed over the internet?

If it was over a lan then something is wrong

but if it was over the internet you have to remember these points,
your isp may be throttling outbound http connections to 50KBps
The upload rate of the computer hosting hfs may be slower than the download rate

If you don't already have it get Build 198 from the beta board and see if that helps. also try going to menu > debug > high speed handling and disable it and see the result

My guess though would be that your isp is limiting the connection which would explain the approx 50KBps connections, if you are using port 80 try using a different to see if that is affected.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the version you are using is important on this matter.
please specify the version.

kaz

Thank you very much for the replies!

I used Version 2.2d.  I also should have written the environment at the server side.  I mean I wrote only about the client side in the initial post.  Anyway, here is the information for the both sides:

Server side: Optical Fiber Internet Connection (maximum 100Mbits/s - both inbound and outbound) and the provider is not throttling.

Client side: Comcast Fiber Internet Connection (maximum 10Mbits/s inbound).  I used to download from a http server with the speed of 1.2MByte/s by using the same download manager when I set the maximum number of connections to 8.  It means I was able to download at least 150KByte/s per a connection.  I mean Comcast might be throttling, but it's more than 150KByte/s.

I have tried with another port number instead of the default value of 80, but the result was the same.

Then, I have tried Build 198.  This one gave me a lot better result!  The transfer rate went up from 400KByte/s to 1.2MByte/s maximum (changed between 600KByte/s and 1.2MByte/s) with the "Experimental High Speed handling" option turned ON.  When I unchecked the option, the transfer rate actually didn't change at all.

Then, I went back to 2.2d for a testing purpose and I found the transfer rate was still about 400KByte/s.  At this point, I will keep using Build 198.

Thank you very much!!!

- kaz