rejetto forum

version 2.4

rejetto · 474 · 310306

Offline duk6046

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
To see if the difference was template, can you try HFS 2.4 RC7 + Throwback template?

I tried it, but the same issue.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:21:32 PM by duk6046 »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Archive message is good, but 'Cancel' button is missing.  So, the appearance is:  only choice is click ok? 

ok, i'll add ok/cancel buttons

Also probably don't need archive at root (a curious person like me, might click it just to see what happens).

assuming people don't need archive at root is both debatable and not solving the problem

Idea!  I think that you could relocate the archive button to the "Selection" sub-menu (archive can be next to the move button); so, then we can archive only what is selected.  That would be helpful. 

this is not solving but for the time being it could be a way to discourage wild actions

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I did not discover any other error.  But, I did discover that RC7 runs faster.  Kudos!!

the only optimization i know recently was in rc6, about file listing. Is that it?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Freezes when browsing if there are many files in the Real folder (about 250 files and folders). v2.3 is fine.

hi just tried a real folder with 1250 files and it took 2.5 seconds.
There must be something causing your problem but i don't know what.
See what happens if you click Menu > debug > temporarily reset options

Also, specify exactly the version you are using, and if you see "customized template" in the lower bar of the HFS window.

if upload speed is more than about 30MB/s and there are many connections (about 10), often server is dead without error message.
but the menu interface works normally.

do you confirm you are talking about "upload" to the server ?
what do you mean by "dead", what does the browser say?
does pressing F4 twice (start/stop) make it work again?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:28:38 PM by rejetto »

Offline duk6046

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
hi just tried a real folder with 1250 files and it took 2.5 seconds.
There must be something causing your problem but i don't know what.
See what happens if you click Menu > debug > temporarily reset options
A: Only when added files under the real folder by dragging, problems occur even in a small amount. i also tried the reset options. the same issue on two desktops.

Also, specify exactly the version you are using, and if you see "customized template" in the lower bar of the HFS window.
A: I just applied danny's method, originally using default template. and all templates are same issue

do you confirm you are talking about "upload" to the server ?
A: It is a download from point of the visitor

what do you mean by "dead", what does the browser say?
does pressing F4 twice (start/stop) make it work again?
A: Yes
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:06:34 PM by duk6046 »

Offline danny

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
https://github.com/rejetto/hfs2/releases/tag/v2.4-rc07
For load testing, I asked of it several impossible things simultaneously.  It worked really well.  It did large file-list, large searches, photos, music, etc... That was just the initial test. 

Also checked with the default template and see that it was revised to archive selected.  This is good.  However, I did not get any archives.    And, then I tried again, selecting just 2 files for archive.  Didn't get an archive.   Also it didn't get stuck.   So, mostly good news. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:18:49 PM by danny »

Offline I_LOVE_HFS

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi HFS people (and Admin/developer).

I'm not sure if this is related to RC6 only or all recent builds in general, but i've noticed that when someone downloads a file over LAN (and this is better noticable with big files that take longer to transfer), the HFS UI becomes completely unresponsive i.e. i can't click/nor interact with any button. The file transfer however still continues.

After the file transfer completes, the UI becomes responsive again.

When i used version 2.3m in the past there was no such problem, so i thought this could be something important to share/let people know.
Maybe it is a problem in a certain HFS build, maybe other factors are causing this. I hope that the problem can at least be reproduced.

FYI: Host OS is Windows 10 Enterprise Edition x64 (Version 2004, build 19041.388). Client OS also is Windows 10 (don't have other info yet).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:43:33 PM by I_LOVE_HFS »

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
Hi, welcome to the forum!... :)

the HFS UI becomes completely unresponsive
Have you tried (on the PC where you run HFS) to temporally disable any security suite (like an antivirus, etc), because that unresponsiveness could be caused by your antivirus that automatically scans every uploaded/downloaded file.

When i used version 2.3m in the past there was no such problem
Have you recently tested v2.3m? It would be better if you could make a new test, just to be 100% is a bug/problem introduced of later versions (but before doing any test, you must backup hfs.ini and any *.vfs that your current version of HFS uses, just to be safe).

Another important thing: are you using the default template or a modified one?.

Cheers,
Leo.-
HFS in Spanish (HFS en Español) / How to compile HFS (Tutorial)
» Currently taking a break, until HFS v2.4 get his stable version.

Offline NaitLee

• Tireless poster
  • Computer-brain boy
    • View Profile
Just found something while uploading some eBooks from my phone to computer.
  • Sometimes a filename in certain filesystem can include chars that not compatible with another filesystem,
    eg. In Android filesystem filenames can include ':' and '?', but this cannot appear in NTFS filenames.
    HFS simply rejects these files. I think accepting them by replacing these chars with _underlines_ or %uriencode is better.
  • HFS checks whether filename is legal after its upload progress finished - but HFS gets that filename before upload starts.
    This wastes some network flow.
Another thing: uploading many files (>20) at once (in an upload <input> with multiselect) always fails.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:43:51 PM by NaitLee »
"Computation is not forbidden magic."
Takeback Template | PHFS

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Also checked with the default template and see that it was revised to archive selected.  This is good.  However, I did not get any archives.    And, then I tried again, selecting just 2 files for archive.  Didn't get an archive.   Also it didn't get stuck.   So, mostly good news. 

i always try to take my time in preparing the next release, but in the end i often make mistakes like this.
I'm not pissed off for the mistake itself, but because now the release is compromised and i have to make another.
irony appreciated tho.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
in the meantime take this fixed tpl

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if this is related to RC6 only or all recent builds in general, but i've noticed that when someone downloads a file over LAN (and this is better noticable with big files that take longer to transfer), the HFS UI becomes completely unresponsive i.e. i can't click/nor interact with any button. The file transfer however still continues.
After the file transfer completes, the UI becomes responsive again.

this is a known problem. I think it happens also with HFS 2.3, you could check. This problem is happening with faster connections. HFS is not coping with it, and the only solution i know for the moment is to set a limit for the max speed in hfs. I advice setting it slightly lower than the actual max speed you are getting. Eg: if you are getting 100, try setting 90. But I noticed even setting 100 will give you some improvement. LMK
I hope someday we'll find a real solution to this.

Offline danny

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i always try to take my time in preparing the next release, but in the end i often make mistakes like this.  I'm not pissed off for the mistake itself, but because now the release is compromised and i have to make another.  irony appreciated tho.
  I saw a change to much better quality menu arrangement and I really do like it.

P.S.
Since HFS2.3, including HFS2.4, the speed limits makes stuck worse if fast internet; so,
the only helpful limits are max downloads and max download from single address.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:31:25 PM by danny »

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Hi,

the latest changes in the template seem to have killed the "always dark" diff template you kindly offered. Is it still possible to force dark theme with the new default.tpl?

About the UI freezing, it is unfortunately not the only problem.

At least in conjunction with the nginx reverse proxy (for getting TLS support), as long as that one download runs,
1. the UI is frozen (known),
2. I can not browse anymore, be it on the same or other machines,
3. Further downloads cannot be started.

In any case, as long as the download runs, nginx will give "Gateway timeout", as there is no reply from HFS anymore.

I see only two ways to solve that. First would be to make HFS multithreaded, possibly the programming language won't support it (is it still Delphi?). Second would be separating the interface from the engine, and have both intercommunicate over TCP/IP or UDP connections.
As a hacky workaround, I have enabled nginx' caching facilities. It will locally get the requested download from HFS as fast as possible and store it in the cache. Once the caching is complete, HFS is released and the client is served from the cache until the download completes. HFS will still freeze, but not as long as with non-cached transfers. Same for uploads, although it has less benefits.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:33:44 PM by MarkV »
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.