Wake On Lan via a script?

Guest · 21 · 8746

Offline zilexa

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Before you spent more time on Wake On Lan, I'd like to share my experience:

I simply used this site:
http://mobile.wakeonlan.me/

It's fantastic, I know my hostname so I just saved my MAC address in Yahoo! Notepad.
Now I can wake up my pc from anywhere in the world. And this site is also very accessible on any mobile phone.

THE DOWNSIDE:
most modems/routers send a signal to every attached PC every now and then. Could be after 4 hours, after 8 hours or after 1 hour. This signal is ALSO interpreted as WOL signal. Thus your pc wil start up...

Its annoying, when I go to the bedroom at night and see a light burning.... the PC is on! but I shut it off!?
Or when you leave the home, come home and the PC was on all day or the whole week or whatever.

After a while I disabled WOL... since there is no solution for this. And it was more a gimmick feature for me.

Offline fire2050

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
zilexa, ive had no such problems with wake on lan...with this macro im doing essentially what that website did except without having to forward a port (as i mentioned previously my router blocked it anyway with the firewall on which is a no-go)

also the issue you were having...it sounds like your computer was set to wake on activity which is different...wake on lan has to have a special magic packet sent that is basically the mac address repeated or something

read this...http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/21075-posible-wake-anything.html

i think its more bios related than windows 7/vista/xp etc related but still a place to start

again thanks for the help rejetto id rather have something like that instead of js... now i just need to figure out that whole combining with the iphone template and how to recognize the user agent of the iphone....im sure youll hear more from me

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i already saw the code to recognize the iphone on this forum.
anyway you need something like {.if|{.pos|iphone|{.header|user-agent.}.}

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
go to the board "HTML & templates"   and  put iphone inside the search field ;)

Offline zilexa

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Well I disabled everything in my BIOS to wake the pc, except PME... still the pc woke up randomly...

Offline fire2050

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
hmm...somethings def wrong bc its waking on activity or maybe its a setting within windows thats causing this