rejetto forum

Suggestion: add to HFS and copy link

Offline rawbanana

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Just a simple suggestion. I use HFS as a way to send people files over IM or email and it would save me a couple clicks if the "add to HFS" option included a "copy external link to file". (yes, I'm lazy but I do this a lot with my forgetful coworkers who lose files all the time).

That would save me 2 steps in the 4 step process of 1. adding file to HFS, 2. open HFS to find external link 3. copy external link 4.paste external link into IM or email...

Also, I'm not sure how this would work but it'd be great if we could somehow integrate this into Hamachi (www.hamachi.cc) and have HFS reconize the 5.xxx.xxx.xxx Hamachi address as the external address instead of your real IP. This would allow HFS to send/recieve files without needing to forward ports etc... This could also be a second option in "add file to HFS and copy Hamachi link" when you right-click on your files in your computer.

I'll probably suggest to Hamachi that they implement some type of VFS like HFS too. Right now I just set up Hamachi and HFS on my computers so I can quickly easily copy and transfer files between computers. The VFS system works so well to organize what you want to share compared to the slow and annoying windows XP sharing options.

One more thing. I don't know why, but HFS sends files MUCH faster than using ICQ, MSN, Yahoo or any other instant messenger "send file" function (both on the Hamachi network and as a regular webserver). Another reason I love HFS.

Overall thanks for the great software!

Offline Martok

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rawbanana"
Also, I'm not sure how this would work but it'd be great if we could somehow integrate this into Hamachi (www.hamachi.cc) and have HFS reconize the 5.xxx.xxx.xxx Hamachi address as the external address instead of your real IP.

Simply start Hamachi before launching HFS. Then you can choose the IP for HFS to use under Menu->IP Address->5.xxx.xxx.xxx
Cheers,

Martok

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rawbanana"
Just a simple suggestion. I use HFS as a way to send people files over IM or email and it would save me a couple clicks if the "add to HFS" option included a "copy external link to file".
menu -> other options -> auto-copy url on addition
enabled by default
it uses the address you chose as default address

Also, I'm not sure how this would work but it'd be great if we could somehow integrate this into Hamachi (www.hamachi.cc) and have HFS reconize the 5.xxx.xxx.xxx Hamachi address as the external address instead of your real IP.
if it is not an IP of your computer, neither an IP recognized as external, you can enter it as custom. HFS will then use it.

Offline rawbanana

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Wow. Didn't realize HFS already had those options built in. Great work!

Offline Martok

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rejetto"
if it is not an IP of your computer, neither an IP recognized as external, you can enter it as custom. HFS will then use it.

It is a local IP since Hamachi installs a fake network card with setup for the 5.xxx ip.
Cheers,

Martok