Funny statistic from Russia...

TSG · 7 · 4229

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I received a funny email from Richard today -

Hey man,

Just for fun I checked the log files at our webhosting (since I had to pay another bill anyway). Something caught my attention:

1       41293   33.54%  41167   40.59%  8.30 GB         90.47%  1       0.33%   77.34.116.5      Russian Federation

Some Russian dude made 41167 hits spread over 2 days consuming 8.3GB of data. He was downloading the latest version of RAWR-Template, but one copy was not enough it seems.

I don't know if you hired some Russian gang to boost your file hits or something :P but if it happens again I will ban that specific IP address. The main reason is we only have 10gigs a month and we are currently at 14GB....

Just to let you know :P

Btw, wassup?

- Richard

So who is this Russian that loves RAWR-Template so much?

We are going with a bot and have planned to block the offending IP addresses if it continues. But maybe this person just really likes our template? ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:44:49 AM by TSG »

Offline SilentPliz

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
  • ....... chut ! shh!
    • View Profile
The guy uses HFS multi-instances feature ...  one tpl for each ;D

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:26:14 PM by SilentPliz »

James

He was using Internet Explorer all the while thinking "WTF is taking so long?!" ;D

Drise

The main reason is we only have 10gigs a month

I'm not entirely sure what service you have, but I know I have a free service with http://www.000webhost.com/ and even for free this is what you get.

1500 MB Disk Space, 100 GB Data Transfer

Every account receives 1500MB space and a whopping 100GB bandwidth, made possible by the unmetered connections our servers utilise. Should your site ever need more than our standard package can offer, we also offer a wide range of upgrade options.

Now I'm not trying to spam or sell, just a fan of RAWR and all the work you guys have done. Just thought I'd pass on a little help to those who have helped me and others so much. Thanks guys and keep it up!

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Interesting, I suppose. I don't know if I would trust hosting the domain there, of course we know about cheap hosting, we used it for a while. But nothing can compare with reliable hosting. When your website gets taken offline without warning, for no reason at all... Our website would work on that Free Hosting, and we had cheap hosting at one point, but they took the site offline for 'hosting personal files', without even telling us about the issue.

Also don't look at hosting room, they flash big numbers but the truth is most websites use at most 500mb, unless you are hosting massive file hosting site, but then you wouldn't be using someone else servers. Also the free version doesn't support smtp, so it would not work with email forms and stuff like this. You get a very bare bones package, and I think you are risking leaked database information and stuff like this with that hosting. You get what you pay for. However if you look at it from another point of view, if you are willing to take the risk, it is free hosting with more features than most.

Worst case scenario for RAWR-Designs.com, is that I host it on my work hosting, however, the old website needs some major overhaul to make it work on different servers, its a little... permanent, where it is. I need to speak with Richard, but I haven't spoken to him in over 6 months now, personally. I don't know wtf is going on.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:13:50 PM by TSG »

Drise

I guess I didn't make myself as clear as I should have. Instead of having your paid server host the downloads, why not have this instead? That it what I use it for. I host a game server from my PC, and to reduce the amount of bandwidth used for downloading files such as maps and custom sounds, I have them uploaded off site. My server still remains on my PC, and I could easily host the files myself, but off site helps get the most out of the bandwidth I have. The reason I would suggest this is to prevent someone spamming, or whatever the case may be, and having to pay for going over your limit. I completely agree on keeping your main site on the paid server, but linking your downloads to another server such as the one I suggested.

Again, I'm just trying to help those who have helped me so much. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile