then the .vfs file would be clear up...
(to reload it is of no effect) :-[

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:48:02 AM by Garphy »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
what you mean with "no effect"  ?
i canceled the loading, the reloaded, and all went well.

HHOK

i do not meet error

save the system file

then you do not neet reload

Offline Garphy

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
once I cancelled the loading progress,the vfs file would drop from 19.8k to 120bytes...

all the items in it are lost

ps:after test,on startup only--this situation

when "reload on startup VFS file previously open" is Enable
cancel loading on startup will destroy the vfs file....

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
when "reload on startup VFS file previously open" is Enable

90% people has this option enabled because it is by default

ps:after test,on startup only--this situation

what startup? Windows system startup?

Offline Garphy

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
when hfs startup, to cancel loading will lead to the problem...

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I have never had a problem with the HFS vfs...........  ??? very strange problem you are having, ino there is a way to reset HFS on loading by hitting a button, maybe you accidentally did that? I CANNOT reproduce this here.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i can't reproduce your problem here.
can you try to reproduce it on another computer ?

Kalle B.

I confirm this bug too. Pressing Cancel while HFS is starting up corrupts the current .vfs file permanately. I found this bug already about 6 months ago when I happened to press Enter during the loading...forgot to report it here though. After this accident I have always saved my .vfs twice just in case..

With the latest HFS build I also get this error when I press the Cancel or when I'm trying to open that corrupted .vfs file:

HFS 2.2 (102)
---------------------------
Access violation at address 00513378 in module 'hfs.exe'. Read of address 0000000C.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I also confirm the bug.  See the attached access violation.

However, my vfs didn't get corrupt.  After the access violation, the HFS gui still loaded but showed an empty vfs which is what I was expecting as the vfs didn't load completely.  I then exited HFS normally and re-loaded HFS again without cancelling.  My original vfs loaded without error.

** To fix the access violation and the possiblity of a corrupt vfs, I would suggest to block any attempt to cancel HFS while the vfs is loading.  Also, do away with the cancel button and don't allow the use of the enter key or the space bar while the vfs is loading.  It doesn't take long for HFS to completely load the vfs.  If HFS was loaded in error, the user can exit HFS normally.

This post should be moved to the bug section.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 01:51:52 PM by maverick »
maverick

Offline Garphy

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I confirm this bug too. Pressing Cancel while HFS is starting up corrupts the current .vfs file permanately. I found this bug already about 6 months ago when I happened to press Enter during the loading...forgot to report it here though. After this accident I have always saved my .vfs twice just in case..

With the latest HFS build I also get this error when I press the Cancel or when I'm trying to open that corrupted .vfs file:

HFS 2.2 (102)
Access violation at address 00513378 in module 'hfs.exe'. Read of address 0000000C.

that's it..
quite strange...

sometimes may "Access violation"

Kalle B.

However, my vfs didn't get corrupt.  After the access violation, the HFS gui still loaded but showed an empty vfs which is what I was expecting as the vfs didn't load completely.  I then exited HFS normally and re-loaded HFS again without cancelling.  My original vfs loaded without error.

Maybe this is related to the Auto-save VFS on Exit -function. I have always had it Enabled.

Here's in what happens here in more detail:

- Auto-Save Enabled, I hit Enter or Space (keyboard) during the automatic .vfs loading
=> Access violation
==> The .vfs file reduces from 62kB to 1kB
===> Empty list in HFS

- Auto-Save Disabled, I hit Enter or Space (keyboard) during the automatic .vfs loading
=> The .vfs loads perfectly
==> Nothing missing from the list

- Auto-Save Enabled or Disabled, I click Cancel (with mouse) during the automatic .vfs loading
=> The .vfs loads perfectly
==> Nothing missing from the list ...no matter how fast I try to click it

- Trying to load the 1kB (corrupted) vfs
=> Access violation
==> Empty list

I also get random Access violations when loading working vfs files but those don't seem to affect anything...Some times it just gives Access violation, sometimes not...but always loads up the vfs perfectly. But still all this seems a bit trivial to me..I don't think I happen to press Enter during the load too many times...and if I do, I'll just load the backup vfs I have there waiting.

PuFF

I would like to report a similar vfs loading bug. Haven't tested the cancellation situation, but because my PC sometimes freezes, after the restart, hfs is empty! It's a nightmare creating the whole tree again! =)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
** To fix the access violation and the possiblity of a corrupt vfs, I would suggest to block any attempt to cancel HFS while the vfs is loading.  Also, do away with the cancel button and don't allow the use of the enter key or the space bar while the vfs is loading.  It doesn't take long for HFS to completely load the vfs.  If HFS was loaded in error, the user can exit HFS normally.

no, some people use VFS taking minutes to load.

HFS 2.2 (102)

this AV was actually fixed in build 103.
if any of you could test it with #103, it would be interesting.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
no, some people use VFS taking minutes to load.

Really... minutes to load!  I wasn't aware of that as it only takes a few seconds here.  You are right my suggestion then is no good.

Quote from: rejetto
this AV was actually fixed in build 103.
if any of you could test it with #103, it would be interesting.

Just tested with build 103.  The AV I got with build 102 is fixed in 103.
maverick