rejetto forum

Multi-Page Browsing

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
The following has been in the to-do list for a very long time:

+ multi-page browsing (N files/page)

I don't know what is involved or how much coding time it would take, but would it be possible to consider implementing it in a new beta?
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
a template with multipage was already been developed by the french guys.
for a full support, we lack this feature
+ a variant of ?limit to trim after full listing

i guess it will come soon

about being implemented by the default template, still unsure, i guess i'll make a full rewrite using my new knowledge of dhtml and ajax, one of these days (i'm gonna cut you...)

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile

Yes, I remember seeing that about a year ago.  However, the problem is that the template used javascript for multipage.  There are alot of people who don't use javascript.
maverick

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Yes, I remember seeing that about a year ago.  However, the problem is that the template used javascript for multipage.  There are alot of people who don't use javascript.

The problem with it wasn't that it used javascript, it just simply didn't work very well, and wasn't very intuitive, there was no indication of the page you were on. It just sort of chopped the list into confusing pieces.

JavaScript is an old wife's tale of internet security, modern browsers like Opera, Firefox and IE7 don't suffer from the same problems with JavaScript that old browsers like IE6 (without security updates/software) used to. Sure we can continue to use <noscript/> to make things available the old fashion way, or to simply display a warning to turn JavaScript on, but the only way to get dynamic content and reduce the load on the HFS server is to use Macro along with AJAX/AHAH (JavaScript).

Multipage can be done entirely with AHAH and the Macro system, so to give a seamless view of the pages, and reduce the page refresh load on the server.

I can see a method that uses macro and page changes via url variables coming round before that, hopefully replicating something like the forum page system.

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Multipage can be done entirely with AHAH and the Macro system, so to give a seamless view of the pages, and reduce the page refresh load on the server.
I can see a method that uses macro and page changes via url variables coming round before that, hopefully replicating something like the forum page system.

If my memory is good, there is effectively a template modified by Mars (me)  to make this action, some persons tried but without reaching there too much.

It is effectively possible to use URL-Vars to arrive there but as says it TSG, it necessite a lot of resource on the server and the resultat is sometimes inconsistent.

As if to using an interface flash, it is not any more to use correctly hfs.

The only viable solution was to use the macro, by asking at one time all the information to show on the browser, and to leak out (with javascript) only that the user wished to see appearing.

The result gave the attached file.

The problem with it wasn't that it used javascript, it just simply didn't work very well, and wasn't very intuitive, there was no indication of the page you were on. It just sort of chopped the list into confusing pieces.

On your place I shall not speak so fast and I shall try to understand its functioning:

intuitive: can be not but it uses at most macro
not functional: it remains to prove, especially with a minimum of javascript

Make we a version so functional (without replacing the macro available by a competition javascript) and we shall see the result. ;)

Last version here  http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=6021.msg1035792#msg1035792
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:32:43 AM by mars »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

javascript was needed for decent performances without the missing feature i told you above.
it also needs some math, but this is already covered by macros.

I don't consider javascript a security threat more than flash, java, nowadays.
I've been keeping javascript low in the default tpl because of compatibility matters.
Given necessary compatibility, i have no reason to not use javascript.
If you'd like to change my mind you can post reliable information sources showing the threat.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
it just simply didn't work very well, and wasn't very intuitive, there was no indication of the page you were on. It just sort of chopped the list into confusing pieces.

It also didn't remember the N files/page setting.  It had to be re-set for every folder browsed.
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it just simply didn't work very well, and wasn't very intuitive, there was no indication of the page you were on. It just sort of chopped the list into confusing pieces.

It also didn't remember the N files/page setting.  It had to be re-set for every folder browsed.

cookies were enough to fix this problem

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile

cookies were enough to fix this problem

Yes that would probably be a solution.  However, you were talking about the multipage template made by the french guys in this thread.  The copy I have, which I think was their final version, doesn't use cookies.

Anyway, I was expecting a multipage N files/page global setting feature within hfs.exe itself.  All that was mentioned in this thread was incorporating into a template.  There are many different customised templates out there.
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it's because i'm not focusing on the default template at the moment.
i will in the future.

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
problem solved

24 hours of works to update and find all solution

;)

time to sleep ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:35:07 AM by mars »

Offline Fysack

• Tireless poster
  • present picture
    • View Profile
    • Admin

Respect my man.! 8)
GOD CAN READ YOUR MIND

Offline jouga

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
problem solved

;)

time to sleep ;D

How can i get this work in terayon template ???