rejetto forum

How to download file from someones HFS server

Guest · 11 · 7806

Anonymous

First...beautiful program, kudos to you.
I tried downloading from a chums server to no avail...getright and save target as did not work....is there a special process or is it a problem at his end....do you have to config certain privs.....I tried the search option for this problem but found nothing....have been reading for hours and found nothing, can someone help...thanks

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
What is the problem that you are experiencing?
HFS is a normal HTTP server and clients should be able to download normally just like other HTTP servers. If that HFS requires authentication, you will have to provide a username and password before you could download those files.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Anonymous

After talking it over with my chum, he believes it may be a firewall issue at his end.  Can you please tell me though, is the process to double click the file, right click & save target as or what.  This will eliminate some trouble shooting problems if that is explained.  And yes the server is "ON" because I can see the files within its directory, it is just when I double click nothing happens, and or when I right click & save target as, the window comes up and says "getting file information" and just hangs.  Thank you for the replies they are much appreciated, again, this software rocks.  So yes its probably his firewall, however, is the right click the way to download the file, oh and by the way, can the folder be downloaded or is it a file at a time scenario? A lot of questions, but I didn't not find the answers elswhere. Thank you again.....

Cheers from Canada. :D

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
HTTP is very firewall and NAT friendly so I don't think that the client would have a problem getting to your server if your server is setup correctly.
Downloading a file from the HFS server simply requires a click on the file that you are trying to acquire.

If you are having trouble, please post your server version and setup.
What IP address did you put in your browser to simulate the "Getting file information" problem?

If Internet Explorer hangs at the Getting file information dialog, that means that Internet Explorer is waiting a set of HTTP header replies which specifies the file information and starts the file transfer.

If you are able to post your server configuration here, I would be happy to help you further. Please also tell me your OS.

Anonymous

Just a quick reminder, it is not my server it is his server, however he has given up because when I tried again, he didn't have the time to dilly dally.  
However, I have set up my own server when I noticed the proggy he was using. My OS is Win XP pro and the HFS version is the latest, 2.0 Alpha 19.  I have experimented within my own network and it works fine, the other thing I did notice while experimenting is that when you single click on an mp3 to download, it opens up and starts to play, I have to actuallly save target as with the right click to get the save dialogue window to appear.  While looking at the screen of the computer that HFS is intitiated on, it is actually downloading, but, where does it go on the computer that has accessed the file, it didn't ask to save it in a specific spot.  I have two comps networked and beside each other.  I open the server on one and experiment on the other while watching both monitors.  

The address I use is a custom address. I will PM you the details (I have just registered) and let you check it out.  I take it then that folders can not be downloaded at this time just the file at a time scenario, something like file transfer within MSN ?  

Thanks for your help anon....  :D

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
1. If it's his server, then it might be a possibility that the port used by HFS was not forwarded properly. In order to connect to a server behind a firewall or a router, an external port has to be open in order for others to connect from the "outside world". Once the port has been forwarded correctly, "the outsiders" then could connect using the EXTERNAL IP. (Make sure you are not using something like http://192.168.0.1)

2. The reason why the MP3 starts playing is because that Internet Explorer was either configured to open your media player or play your MP3 via the Media bar.
To verify that the MP3 is not played by the IE,
a. Click Tools -> Internet Options in any IE window. (or Control Panel -> Internet Options)
b. Click on the Advanced tab.
c. Under Multimedia, make sure Play sounds in web pages is UNCHECKED.

To make sure that the downloaded file from a remote server is not corrupted, I recommend you using a download manager. This is because the way that IE handles connections. If the connection were to be closed by "x" reason, IE assumes that the server has sent all the data it needs and thinks that the file is all done. (This will cause a smaller file than expected resulting in a corrupted file.)

3. Due to the limitations of the HTTP specifications, it is not possible to download a whole folder via HTTP or the HFS server. Although it might not be possible to download a whole folder via HFS, it is possible to download a whole folder if the server admin ZIPs the whole folder and make it available for download. MSN transfers the folder the same concept, "one-by-one". The difference is that this process is done automatically and that the folder name is also sent in the process. MSN also uses it own protocol for sending files so the HTTP limitations does not apply.

Glad ta Help! :D

Anonymous

Good info, thanks again, rejetto is lucky to have such a knowledgable and dedicated assistant.  Cheers dude. Thanks for checking out the server....

Aarf

Offline >>>zippo<<

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
well i got xp corp fire wall and a router all in one

a friend of mine is trying to get files but is not allowed to
conntion is refused i use the ex ip to but when i do that i can not see my files iam sure if i can not he will not as well

plz advise ty

NEMISIES

Quote from: ">>>zippo<<"
well i got xp corp fire wall and a router all in one

a friend of mine is trying to get files but is not allowed to
conntion is refused i use the ex ip to but when i do that i can not see my files iam sure if i can not he will not as well

plz advise ty

G`Day M8.... First of all.... Close the Shitty XP firewall.. ;)

Its Useless..... Get ZoneAlarm pro.

Second... make sure u Change Port number...

Start it..run it.....Orgnize files uwant to share... Zone pop should come up .Alow Connection...

Thats it .. SImple  ;)

Nice Proggie By the Way  B)