rejetto forum

wv,flac preview?

yopen · 4 · 4072

Offline yopen

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Is it possible for the preview player to work with wavpack,flac lossless files?Any chance?
2010 most people use lossless formats instead of trashy mp3.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
no. wav, wavpack, alac and flac are lossless and therefore not viable streaming formats (wasted data transfer, in most regions of the world). Flash does not support them in that way either, probably due to licensing. So RAWR-Player wont do it. There is probably another way to get it working, maybe using the VLC plugin... but I haven't tested it since our tests proved the VLC browser plugin too unreliable.

But I wont be putting the effort into it, when listening to lossless audio you want the right gear anyway. I think most HFS users might stream from the workplace for example, where they probably only have lower than standard equipment.

I generally settle for LAME VBR (.mp3) for streaming playlists with HFS, it sounds ok on most systems (not so squelchy it makes your ears bleed!) and reduces the load on the server.

Most of my music is ripped in FLAC also, I like its lossless compression, keeping the wav quality but half the file size ;) current PC speakers are Logitech Z5500, not that great for music but mind blowing for gaming and videos, so they make up for it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:33:47 AM by TSG »

Offline zilexa

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
OK but how about Ogg Vorbis (and aac) support? I have lots of mp3 as well, but also a lot of Ogg Vorbis....

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theora
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis

It will play back with HTML5 at the moment, in enabled browsers, but not in older ones without a third party plugin.

HTML5 is not final and may change so its not recommended to make anything with it at the moment, other than proof of concepts.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:25:43 AM by TSG »