rejetto forum

unable to stream movie files with 250

ninjapimp · 17 · 15384

Offline ninjapimp

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I've noticed while using beta build 250
if i share a folder that contains media files, like .avi, wmv, mpg, .mkv, rather than stream the movie to watch on the spot, it forces you to download it first.

i run IIS7 and when i click on a file it simply opens up a media player and streams the movie on the spot but with HFS it wont do this.

i also notice using a custom template there is a preview pane, i click on it but it sits there forever with spinning wheel of death but that maybe related to the rawr template

has anyone got luck watching movies from HFS? will it stream or does it download first?

Offline ninjapimp

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
sorry i'm not up to speed on previous version as there is not a thread that lists known issues or I've not found it.

with build 250 it won't stream an avi mpeg or any format that I could tell
when I click on file to dl I get prompt to save or open with media player. I choose my default media player and it begins dl. but it does not appear in media player until the whole file downloads

is there a thread with documented known issues?

I hate to start a thread about something that's already known
my sincere apologies
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:28:12 PM by ninjapimp »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
sorry for the late reply ninja.
by default HFS will suggest the browser to download every file, except some types.
you can tune this setting by Menu > Other options > Open directly in browser

Offline ninjapimp

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
*.htm;*.html;*.jpg;*.jpeg;*.gif;*.png;*.txt;*.swf;*.svg;*.avi;*.mpg;*.mkv;*.m4v;*.mp4;*.mpeg

this si whats currently in that option field
but same problem, i open up firefox, go to website, click on movie i wish to watch and it downloads file rather than streaming it.

i'm still unable to actually stream it.

i put exact same file on my IIS website, open firefox and it streams it rather than saving file.
any other ideas i can try?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
ah, another thing to set is the MIME types. :)
for avi you should have "video/x-msvideo".
please check this one.
this should already be set by default, but you have lost the setting or you may have inherited an old setting from a previous version.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:03:21 AM by rejetto »

Offline ninjapimp

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
ok i have checked the mimes as suggested and the file types are present.
i use IE8 and firefox and both save the file rather than open to stream it.

but get this...in IE only, if I put the full url to the movie...it then streams it.
but if i go to main root folder, navigate to file to watch, click on it, it wants to save it.

i did notice another odd thing...i have a password on the folder.

when i login to access this folder, it says access denied.
i vlivk back button, then click back on the movie folder and it lets me in

everytime i try to login to the folder it says access denied, simply workaround is go back then re-click on that folder and ya login fine.

but i'm unable to stream movies as of yet.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i can't come with anything else, guessing.
we can work it out by comparing the http headers, HFS vs IIS.
are you able to provide them?
you can by using Firebug plugin on Firefox, and going to the "net" tab.
if you don't want to do it yourself, you can let access me, or anyone who has the right tools, to the files both by IIS and HFS.

Offline ninjapimp

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
using http debugger, i saved the line to summary log and this si what i see when using firefox

| 113 | 460.735 | 5.203 | 4906.771 | 943.066 | john | firefox.exe | http://www.xxxxx.com/MOVIES/DVDSCR/Journey%20To%20The%20Center%20Of%20The%20Earth%20(2008)%20DVDSCR%20Occor.avi | www.xxxx.com | GET | video/x-msvideo | 200 OK | 0.549 | 0.000 | 0.254 | 4905.969

it does open file to view it but saves it instead

now with IE8 64bit i get this
 | 154 | 2295.875 | 0.016 | 0.357 | 22.339 | john | wmplayer.exe | http://www.xxx.xxx/MOVIES/DVDSCR/My.Life.In.Ruins.%20SCR.XviD.avi | www.xxxx.com | GET |  | Pending... | 0.357 | 0.000 | 0.000 | 0.000

WMP opens an d says connecting but movie never starts.

is this the info ya looking for that may help or diagnose?

i'm running http debugger never used it so i'm not certain which bit of info ya may need.

/request stream
GET /MOVIES/DVDSCR/My.Life.In.Ruins.%20SCR.XviD.avi HTTP/1.1
Cache-Control: no-cache
Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: getIfoFileURI.dlna.org
Accept: */*
If-Unmodified-Since: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:19:58 GMT
Range: bytes=729624576-733999103
User-Agent: NSPlayer/12.00.7600.16385 WMFSDK/12.00.7600.16385
GetContentFeatures.DLNA.ORG: 1
Host: www.xxxx.com:2000
Authorization: Basic bGVlY2g6bGVlY2g=

question: do i run http debugger on my server thast got HFS on it
or do i run it on the desktop thats trying to stream the movie?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:14:11 PM by ninjapimp »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
sorry again for the late reply, but this is a hard time (relatively to my free time).
i don't even know if you still need this.  :-X
what you posted is not what i needed.
it's the (http) request, not the reply.
the reply is something starting with "HTTP/1", like this
Code: [Select]
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 1356
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Server: HFS 2.3 beta

and it's not about comparing different browsers, but the servers. So we need the reply of HFS and mostly the one given by IIS (since the first one i may even guess it myself).

Offline ninjapimp

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
no worries. i gave up on this
i jsut stayed with IIS7 for streaming my movies.
i dont think hfs was designed for streaming.

i could not figure out why it wont stream. I know it works from IIS, so i know the files movies are valid and working as is the server but for some reason hfs just chooses to save the file rather than stream it.

i love my hfs for what it does which is a file server to the public, nothing more nothing less.

thanks again

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
actually both HFS and IIS do nothing special for streaming.
the difference is for sure in some little bit that the browser would like to see. It's just that i don't know which one.
can you give me access to both your HFS and IIS ?
then also point me to one of those movies, so i can test it myself.
contact me privately if you like.

Offline chthonic

• Tireless poster
  • I own the copyright to this image... "Back Off!"
    • View Profile
I have had this issue before... the problem is not with HFS per se... its with the player codec etc . which is assuming anonymous access to the files for streaming... if you password or limit the video folders to specific users it will lock out the streaming... the only other option is to not limit access or to check the anonymous flag for the video folders only and not the folder they are under.. its a less secure work around.. but I ahve not found anyone sneaking around my folders that way... they would have to know the exact folder structure and if hte root folder has limited access they tend to get blocked at that point... in some cases at least

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
thank you for trying chthonic, but i got privately a link to his files, and there was no password to protect them.

Offline ninjapimp

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
i've made access to the files as open as possible.
i've tried from multiple computers. i go to my friends place and try every laptop computer i get my hands on. i try every browser they use, safari, mozilla, IE. also several different players, quicktime, windows media classic, windows media player. vlc, etc and they all seem to have same result, it resorts to saving the file first.
for some odd reason i can't get it to stream
now same exact file...that wont stream, when i access it via the IIS, the media then streams by default.

for some reason when using HFS it asks user to save file and what to open it with (defaulted)
but when i access the media via the IIS web server it'll stream the file be default, otherwise it asks me what to open it with which then streams it.

its not a stop ship problem for me as i have IIS to rely on and have done so before hfs came along, so its not a problem, i thought i'd mention it, maybe others might experience same problem if streaming.

i've asked some friends and some are able to stream which confuses me, maybe it really is a problem with the users PC and how windows sees the file and not with hfs.

i'll keep playing with it see if I can find a clue.

Offline chthonic

• Tireless poster
  • I own the copyright to this image... "Back Off!"
    • View Profile
ok so you are using the default template? Teryon has a streaming module.. and it works with divX

.... I found that if you install a package like k-lite codecs.. then the streaming problem is less of an issue because it loads a codec that actually tells the browser to to cal your default media player OR if yo ahve firefox with  flashget it will ask if you want to save or play in the associated player.

but if you want streaming specifically use a template that has it and load the k-lite package ... that method is less hassle... DivX is nice when it works LOL but you have to arm wrestle it to get it to work exactly.

(rejetto: I in testing a hunch.. I noticed what might be an access bug to a limited folder... but I cant verify until after I close out the browser.. the current session is still cached. I will post back if its a definite problem)

[ok .. no issue... it was just a cached file that didnt expire]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:26:39 PM by chthonic »