rejetto forum

IP address without port, possible?

zilexa · 4 · 8741

Offline zilexa

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
When I want to access my HFS externally, I type in my dyndns link + portnumber (blalbla.blala.com:100).

Portforwarding in my router has been setup so that port 100 will be forwarded to my pc.

Everything works fine actually.

But I was wondering, would it be possible to only enter blalba.blalbla.com and see HFS? Without ":100" ?

I've read here people are using port 80.... but is that safe? Or is it wise? Because I use the same pc for internet, email, utorrent, filezilla FTP server... and I thought that port 80 is the default port for webbrowsing, so I cannot use that port for HFS. Also I thought it would be safer to give HFS its own port (and '100' seems simple).

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Port 80 is the default port where a web server listens to incoming connections. Your browser uses any available port to connect to a server, so browse you don't need port 80.

There are only two ways to use an url without :port to connect to your server:

a) use default port 80 the same way as any web server (recommended!)

b) use a special dns account as there are some available that add the port number to the ip.

Whatever uses you give to your pc, as long as you don't run another webserver on it, you can use port 80 for hfs.

your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline zilexa

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Ok thanks I didn't know that.
I am using dyndns.org (free account) so that I can use a nice domain name instead of IP address but I couldn't find any option to set a port for the ip address.
So I guess using port 80 is the best way to go! thanks!

Offline exorcist

• Occasional poster
  • King of the Dust
    • View Profile
    • Dusted Wax Kingdom
For most of the routers by default use port 80 for their web configuration, I tried to forward external port 80 to internal 8000 (in your case port 100) and runned HFS with port 8000 (in your case port 100). It worked absolutely great for me, the http server was accessible from outside network without a need to include the port.
In dust we trust...