• View Profile
so, no more problems with dynamic dns....  :?:

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rejetto"
so, no more problems with dynamic dns....  :?:
No, no problems from me.  Working just fine. (no-ip)
maverick

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "MarkV"
For the log on screen, it could be shortened.
if the message is long (html?) shortening is probably meaningless and would fill the log with garbage

But if one logs to file, the complete messages would be great.
impraticable, the message can be several kb

I don't think HTML messages should be logged. But e.g. DynDNS messages are rather short... whatever. :P

Maybe a Log what... -> Debug feature to aid debugging?

MarkV
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
beta42 @ www.rejetto.com/temp/hfs2.0beta42.zip

+ understand DNS update replies
* better DNS update logging
- no-ip.com problems

Quanta

G'Day Rejetto,

After I installed beta42 and give the ok to start, It only loads about 10% of my VFS file and than it stops and nothing happends. So I put beta41 back and everyting works fine..

A bug in the new beta??

Thanks for HFS!! Keep up the good work!!

Greetz, Quanta.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
please quanta, contact me privately (http://www.rejetto.com/me) and give me your VFS file. i will track down the bug and fix it.

Quanta

Okee Rejetto,

You've got mail..:-)

Greetz, Quanta.

Offline thecow5

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Anonymous"
A work around until the to do is complete, you can create a ***.bat file to run from your desktop and drop a list of the music (***.mp3) into a ***.txt file within the music directory.  Get you friends to download the ***.txt file and they can search the file (edit,find) for the song, artist, whatever.  I use this method and the family love it.

Oops forgot to login....

Aarf

thanks aarf, I also found another way.

I opened Winamp or MediaPlayer and created a playlist with all my music (and one for videos) , and saved it as an .m3u PlayList, I then edited the .m3u playlist with notepad removing location of my files and replacing it with the web address of my server.
([Replace this] \\serverboy\Music$\Xavier\Sag es laut.mp3
with this http://mysyte.no-ip.net/music/Xavier/Sag es laut.mp3)

then saved it as a text file, opened that text file in MS Word and save it as a document file.
now all one has to do is use MS Word to open the file and search for the Song, Artist or Album they want then click on it and it will automaticle download providing they have the proper username and password for my site in there download manager it will start downloading or if not they will be prompted with an appelet to enter a username and password.

thanks for your advise, I will also try it your way to see which I like the best.  :D

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Quanta"
Okee Rejetto,
You've got mail..:-)
ok, i tested your VFS, and it didn't get stuck, just took time.
it is huge, 8+MB and 46k+ items.
3.5 minutes to load on my laptop. (next versions will show loading time)
how long did you wait before giving up?
what CPU do you have?

anyway, i bet you are using virtual-folders whereas real-folders would be enough.
why are you using virtual-folders? using real-folders this would shorten loading time to only few seconds!  beta42 should have warned you about this.

Quanta

G'Day Rejetto,

After 40 a 50 seconds it just stop loading the VFS file and nothing happens, If I start Beta42 again It just do the samething again..:-(

With Beta41 everything works perfect..

I now I must switch to real-folders, but there are so many that it take a long time to do so.. But i'm working on it..

My cpu is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ with 2 GB of memory and about 2.5 TB storage.

I'm going to try to start Beta42 again, but I don't think it will work after de severall tries I have done yesterday. If it's going to work, I will let you now.

Thanks for analysing my VFS-file, I hope I got it to work with the new Beta's..

Keep up the good work!

Greetz, Quanta.

Quanta

G'Day Rejetto,

I switchted to real-folders (except some private folders) and everyting is working perfect now with Beta42. The VFS-file is now only 68KB and HFS starts within a couple of seconds..:-)

First I was afraid to switch to real-folders because I thougt that I must switch every virtual-folder by hand. Than I discovered the Switch to Real-folders button in the main menu and it was fixed in a couple of seconds..:-)

Stupid of my that I dident notice this before...

I'm "happy" that the fault was on my side, sorry to take up your time.

Thanks for your support!!

Greetz, Quanta.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i spent some time analyizing differences between beta41 and 42 and found no reason why it should read a VFS 42 does not. even the loading code is unchanged.
in next beta you will get a cancel button while loading.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
be careful with this new version, backup your VFS because the format has changed

beta43 @ www.rejetto.com/temp/hfs2.0beta43.zip

+ you can abort loading VFS and downloading update
+ show how long VFS loading took
+ new VFS format with compression
+ warn you loading incompatible VFS formats
- upload was not disabled on virtual-folders
- set user/pass: inputing a password with empty username did not raise error
- loading vfs and sending hfs in background led to problems
- "switch to real-folder" was active times it should not

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
beta 43
With this beta I notice that the log entry for the DNS update request and reply no longer shows up.  Is this now the expected behavior or is it a bug?

I don't see this after the vfs is loaded.  Where do I find it?

Yes, the vfs is now compressed.  I haven't physically timed the loading of the compressed vfs but it seems to take a little longer to load than the regular vfs.  Could this be because the vfs has to be uncompressed first before loading takes place?  If this is the reason, why compress to begin with?

+ you can abort loading VFS
Why would someone want to abort loading the vfs?  I'm just curious as to the possible reasons why.

be careful with this new version, backup your VFS because the format has changed
As the VFS format has changed, and as there were previous vfs problems mentioned when adding a file to HFS using the shell feature when HFS wasn't running, will the new file added this way to HFS be added properly to the new vfs format?  (I haven't tried it).

maverick
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "maverick"
beta 43
With this beta I notice that the log entry for the DNS update request and reply no longer shows up.  Is this now the expected behavior or is it a bug?
the update doesn't work anymore at all 8O
a strange bug, not exactly mine, fixed in next beta

I don't see this after the vfs is loaded.  Where do I find it?
statusbar

Yes, the vfs is now compressed.  I haven't physically timed the loading of the compressed vfs but it seems to take a little longer to load than the regular vfs.  Could this be because the vfs has to be uncompressed first before loading takes place?  If this is the reason, why compress to begin with?
recently i noticed people managing huge VFS files, over 1MB.
compression ratio is sometimes 10:1, very high, so it makes sense with big files.
i now tested with a 750 items (medium-large) VFS and, all in cache, this is the result:
uncompressed 3.7 secs
compressed 3.8 secs
compression ratio 5:1

it seems to me that compression is worthy.
it may be a good idea to introduce compression only over 100 items, it is quite easy for me to implement.

+ you can abort loading VFS
Why would someone want to abort loading the vfs?  I'm just curious as to the possible reasons why.
large VFSs take even minutes to load, taking 100% CPU.
in this time you may change your mind.

As the VFS format has changed, and as there were previous vfs problems mentioned when adding a file to HFS using the shell feature when HFS wasn't running, will the new file added this way to HFS be added properly to the new vfs format?  (I haven't tried it).
it should be fully compatible, the sentence was about possible bugs.