rejetto forum

Download speeds consistent... when it comes to failing.

Guest · 9 · 5339

Kanaz

Hi, I've been using HFS for quite a long time, having been introduced to it by a good friend.

Its always worked well enough, chugging along with its 80 kb/s upload rate, fine for trading files to one person at a time.

The problem only really starts when I get multiple connections.

Its rather picky about staying under that 80 kb/s mark, splitting my upload speeds to ensure the total stays at/below 80.

My upload rate has been tested at several sites, all varying from 400-700 kbps.

Im using HFS v2.2a on port 80, no other filesharing programs running MOST of the time (the occasional azureus use has not affected these results, although azureus has been shown to provide >80 kb/s upload rates :x).

Any ideas on why HFS might be so slow for me?  I'm open to trying any ideas, as my friend who introduced me to this program ALSO gets limited at the exact same 80 kb/s rate when he's uploading, which puzzled me even more.

Thanks for you time =).

Offline ihavenolife008

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
heres a little fact: the kbps IS NOT "kilobytes per second" when you talk speeds of internet connections. kbps stands for: kiloBITS per second. So basically, take that speed you got when u tested it, and divide it by 8, and you'll get your kb/s upload speeds (kb/s is the correct notation for "kilobytes per second")
so you upload speed is around 640kbps.

i found this out when i had a similar problem being my upload speed is maxxed at 2mbps and i was wondering why my speeds were only showing as about 180. its not the program, nor your connection, nor anything else u can affect. its simply a very common confusion in notation of connection speeds.

to go over it again really quick.
you upload speed is: approx 640kbps (thats "kiloBITS per second")
divide that by 8 and you get: 80
the 80 is in kb/s (which is "kiloBYTES per second")

downloads and uploads are always shown in kb/s, while ISPs and speed tests will show speeds in kbps.
hope this helps a few people learn proper notation  ;)

mike

For your information:

Kilobits/sec = kb/s
Kilobytes/sec = kB/s  (bytes is shown with the capital B)

mike

also...

there seems to be some confusion with 'per'

per is shown as either p or / (they mean the same thing)

therefore...

Kilobits/sec or Kilobits per sec = kb/s or kbps
Kilobytes/sec or Kilobytes per sec = kB/s or kBps (bytes is shown with the capital B)

Hope this helps.

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
If it isnt a simple matter of getting kb mixed up with kB then maybe try using a download manager to see if you can accomplish higher speeds by using more then 1 connection.

just in case your wondering about the 400-700kbps reported by speed test sites. if you multiply 80kilobytes by 8 you will get 640kilobits which would be your connections approximate top speed as reported by the speed tests.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
there is a lot of people making this same error.
what if the graph would display
Top speed: 80,0 KB/s  ==  640 kbps

is anyone contrary?

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I couldn't tell you if I'm for or against it until I see what it would look like, so if everyone else is for it maybe add that to the next build to get everyones opinions?

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
It's even more complicated if these values are binary (2^x) then even kB is not correct, it must show as KiB.

On the contrary, if values are decimal (10^x), then it's KB. The decimal values are used by the HDD producers, many people are confused by that.

Please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1541

HFS should adapt to the standards.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
in communications i know 1000 should be used.
i'm just multiplying by 8.