rejetto forum

Vitual Folder doesn't update VS Actual Folder does update

Guest · 8 · 2944

anson

there's a vitural folder in my file system (e.g. DL), which acutally corresponding to my folder on c:\Download......
the problem was that i made some files movement / deletion / rename...and i restart HSF, it didn't update with the new information i made, anyone know why?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you should not use a virtual folder, but a real folder

why don't you?

anson

oh...ic thank you very much, i m new http sever, so actually i don't know when to use vitual folder and when to use actual folder...

Offline Corwin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I think that the most common reason to use a virtual folder is when you want to want to share several files from different locations.

With a virtual folder, you can make files in different real folders or even on different drives available all in the same place.  You can do this without having to share any of the other files around them, and without giving any clue to the files actual physical location.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you should use real folders when you want to show files as they are on your disk... or very similar

in facts with real folders you can always hide some files, add some that are not really there, etc, but all "change" operations are easier with virtual folder

did you know, by combining hide and addition, you can get renaming of some files also with real folders.... possible but tricky

Anonymous

If you have a real folder, how can you hide a file or folder when they don't show up in HFS.  

I would love to be able to set a folder as real but then be able to either hide or set permissions to some of files or folders within it.  

Is this really possable?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you have to set file/folder filter

if you want to hide A* and B and C
then use this filter: \A*;B;C

the filter would normally say what IS to be shown
but the initial \ inverts the command: what IS to be hidden